Nerite Vs Apple Snail

Ok I am thinking of getting 1 snail just because they look like lots of fun :D I can't decided though should I get a Nerite snail or a Apple snail. I do have slight of a problem with brown algae than green so I know a Nerite would be better for that but I like the size of Apple snails. I am sure I would be happy with either but it is soooo hard to choose. I guess I need help with pos and cons and what are some differences. I don't know much about snails so I need help :) my ph is also on the high side of 8.2 so I don't know how they would do in that too. Thank You much :D

If you come across the pond the pet advantage on dorset street typically has a pretty good selection of different colored apple snails (although occasionally they don't have much so it might be good to call before making the trip). The have had some pretty neat ones like white shell with a purple/blue body :)

I have only had apple snails so I can't really compare the two

Higher pH is good for snails!

I never had nerites, but from what I read they are better at eating brown algae than apple snails. Thanks to their smaller size, they also produce less waste, and you might even be able to keep two of them instead of one apple or mystery snail. :)

Nerites are fantastic. They are the workhorse of my diatom control team and munch like there is no tomorrow. I love zebra nerites, they all have unique spiral patterns so you can tell them apart if you look carefully! Both olive, nerite, and horned nerites are just the best choice, plus they cannot reproduce in freshwater, so on worries about overpopulation.

I haven't had apples, but I believe that nerites are more helpful while apples are more for an interesting snail to look at. I have a larger zebra nerite and smaller horned nerites. The horned nerites are the ones that will crawl along the leaves of plants and eat the algae off. They are fun to watch when they are on the glass. They much in a zigzag pattern that is pretty cool. Their bodies don't stick out of the shell as much, so you see more shell and less snail.

Although they don't reproduce, nerites do leave small hard eggs all over. They don't seem to get fungusy or anything, so I scrub them off the front and leave the rest.

Yup. This is what I do, too. There is no way I can catch up with them with eggs everywhere lol

I seem to remember reading that apple snails eat plants, is that right? I have zebra nerites (never had apple snails) and they do a pretty good job on the walls of my tank (but nothing on the plants that have algae on the leaves--they're too heavy). They do leave these hard white eggs everywhere, but I don't really mind them, and they do not hatch as they need brackish water for that.

I had trouble finding many horned nerites locally, so I bought a batch of ebay. They've all done well.

They are cute, and their shells are pretty. They are always riding around on one another. I suppose they could be doing something else besides hitching a ride, but if they are, I can't see details. ;)

Edited by ShawneeRiver

Although they don't reproduce, nerites do leave small hard eggs all over. They don't seem to get fungusy or anything, so I scrub them off the front and leave the rest.

I've gotten lucky mine have never laid eggs, and I've had like 7-10 different snails over the years.

I seem to remember reading that apple snails eat plants, is that right? I have zebra nerites (never had apple snails) and they do a pretty good job on the walls of my tank (but nothing on the plants that have algae on the leaves--they're too heavy). They do leave these hard white eggs everywhere, but I don't really mind them, and they do not hatch as they need brackish water for that.

Most species of apple snails will not eat live plants, only dead/decaying pieces. There are some that are known to eat plants, but these generally are not sold commercially (at least in the US). I have never had an issue with my snails eating my plants at all :)

That's good to know! I'm planning to get a couple different types of nerite snails in the future, and I didn't know they deposited eggs all over. Something to consider as I'm a bit OCD about the fish tank looking clean at all times. haha

I wonder if they lay more eggs if they are together versus having a single snail in the tank. Come to think of it, my daughter's tank doesn't have eggs all over, and she has just a single nerite. But at the same time, that tank has pond snails. Maybe the pond snails eat the eggs? :idont

^ I had four at one time together with no sign of eggs. I now have one and that one doesn't lay either. I wonder if it's water composition?

I'm not sure what does it. My 55g doesn't have a single egg, and the 100g has tons. There are 2 in the 55, and 4 in the 100.

How odd. Is there a temperature diff Alex?

No. The tanks are both at 77 right now, and during the colder months, they are at 70. There are 4 goldfish in the 55, and 7 in the 100, of mixed genders. Foods being fed are the same as well, so I have no idea why that is lol.

The only noticeable difference is that I have gravel in the 55, and TMS in the 100, but I would be frightened if that's the reason for the egg laying :rofl

I think nerite snails require both a male and female snail present to reproduce, but if no male is present, sometimes the females lay unfertilized eggs (like a chicken does). Maybe that's why some peoples' snails don't produce any eggs and others' do? Maybe the people with no nerite eggs in their tanks have only male snails.

I think nerite snails require both a male and female snail present to reproduce, but if no male is present, sometimes the females lay unfertilized eggs (like a chicken does). Maybe that's why some peoples' snails don't produce any eggs and others' do? Maybe the people with no nerite eggs in their tanks have only male snails.

Huh, I've had a ton of nerites, you think I'd of gotten a female in the several years I've been keeping them and normally in groups.