Sign in to follow this  
levex vorastrix

"NEED HELP ASAP WITH MY XXL GOLDFISH"

OK so the last few days i noticed she was floating and spending a lot of time by herself and i come home today and saw her at the bottom of the tank one minute shes floating the next she sinks to the bottom or ends up rolling over ANY SUGGESTIONS OR HELP MAYBE ADVICE WOULD BE REALLY APPRECIATED thank you.

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level-0.0
  • * Nitrite Level-0.0
  • * Nitrate level-28.7
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)-7.1
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)n/a
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?-API FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT (DROPS)
  • * Water temperature?-22
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?-350L
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?-2 all pond solutions canistar filters both 600l each
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?-75% to 80% every 2 weeks
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?- 2 weeks ago(due for another change) around 80%

• * How many fish in the tank and their size?-3 calicos, 2 xxl goldies, 2 blackmoors, 2 orandas, 1 weatherloach
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?- seachim prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?-every 2 days with sinking pellets
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?- no
  • * Any medications added to the tank?- no
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.)- not sure?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.-none
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?-no
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?- floating rolling over and sinking still eating though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8FoEsf3iMk

Oh I am so sorry Molly is unwell! :( I couldn't read and run after watching your video, I can tell how exasperated you are right now. I only wish I had the answers but unfortunately I don't know what is wrong with her. Hopefully a mod will be along very soon to help. Good luck :)

So sorry she is not doing well! :( I think getting her into a QT tank is a good first step. How large is your QT? Make sure you match the temp and Ph before adding her in.

Will you please give us your tap Ph?

I am curious how you are getting a reading of 28.7 nitrate with the API master test kit?

One initial thing I would like to suggest is upping the frequency of your water changes to weekly, every 2 weeks is just not adequate for a fully stocked tank.

This is also a little off topic, but I would also like to suggest upping the frequency of your feeding schedule. Especially for young fish like yours, a feeding once every 2 days is not enough. It is fine once a week to fast them for a day, but regularly they should be getting 2-3 meals a day minimum when they are young and still growing :)

Hopefully we can get this figured out :hug

So sorry she is not doing well! :( I think getting her into a QT tank is a good first step. How large is your QT? Make sure you match the temp and Ph before adding her in.

I am curious how you are getting a reading of 28.7 nitrate with the API master test kit?

One initial thing I would like to suggest is upping the frequency of your water changes to weekly, every 2 weeks is just not adequate for a fully stocked tank.

This is also a little off topic, but I would also like to suggest upping the frequency of your feeding schedule. Especially for young fish like yours, a feeding once every 2 days is not enough. It is fine once a week to fast them for a day, but regularly they should be getting 2-3 meals a day minimum when they are young and still growing :)

sorry dont why i put 28.7 for ph? right the ph in my tank is around 7.6 and my tap water ph is around 7.2? i will also change my feeding times as well

sorry dont why i put 28.7 for ph? right the ph in my tank is around 7.6 and my tap water ph is around 7.2? i will also change my feeding times as well

oh and the qt is 95l never bin used till now :(

Oh I am so sorry Molly is unwell! :( I couldn't read and run after watching your video, I can tell how exasperated you are right now. I only wish I had the answers but unfortunately I don't know what is wrong with her. Hopefully a mod will be along very soon to help. Good luck :)

thank you anyways becks :)

i read your post wrong sorry my nitrate level is around 40ppm :yikes?

Nitrate of 40 is not ideal, it's better to aim for 20ppm at the most, as some goldfish are sensitive to nitrate levels above this and it can cause some swim bladder issues. If you up your water changes to weekly instead of every 2 weeks you should have no problem keeping those nitrates at a reasonable level :)

Is she in the QT tank yet? Would you mind posting another quick video of her in the QT once she is settled in?

Have you seen her poo at all? how does it look?

I would try to get nitrate levels down to 10 or lower. I have 6 fully stocked large tanks between 50 and 75 gallons and I do a water change every three days on each tank. If I waited two weeks, I am sure the nitrates would be sky high. My veils especially are sensitive to nitrates, if the levels go over 10 they start acting funny and if it gets up to 20 or higher some of them will start to have fin degeneration, so I stay on top of the water changes.

Edited by CindyGen

Nitrate of 40 is not ideal, it's better to aim for 20ppm at the most, as some goldfish are sensitive to nitrate levels above this and it can cause some swim bladder issues. If you up your water changes to weekly instead of every 2 weeks you should have no problem keeping those nitrates at a reasonable level :)

Is she in the QT tank yet? Would you mind posting another quick video of her in the QT once she is settled in?

Have you seen her poo at all? how does it look?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYm3RFyDAeQ&feature=youtu.be

OK, thank you for moving her to the isolation tank. You can add more water to the tank, possibly even at half full.

I would like for you to pay attention to her poop, and report back to us what it looks like etc. Is she eating?

Fish that are listless and cannot control their balance are likely to be having some sort of internal infection. When did she become like this?

poor girl :( In addition to Alex's questions, can you take a look at her from the top (when she is upright) and make sure there are no raised scales (scales that are sticking out in a pineconed fashion).

OK, thank you for moving her to the isolation tank. You can add more water to the tank, possibly even at half full.

I would like for you to pay attention to her poop, and report back to us what it looks like etc. Is she eating?

Fish that are listless and cannot control their balance are likely to be having some sort of internal infection. When did she become like this?

well she started floating abit in the last two days but today she is now doing this i will now look at her scales etc and keep an eye on her for poo and see if she still eats

poor girl :( In addition to Alex's questions, can you take a look at her from the top (when she is upright) and make sure there are no raised scales (scales that are sticking out in a pineconed fashion).

ok i just had a good look round her and i cant see any upraised scales but i have just noticed something very alarming i just looked up close to her and i noticed her right eye is in the normal position BUT her right eye is looking like its bin pushed in at the bottom and the top bit is sticking out is it ment to be like that or am i just being paranoid now i will take a picture to try and show you

ok i just had a good look round her and i cant see any upraised scales but i have just noticed something very alarming i just looked up close to her and i noticed her right eye is in the normal position BUT her left eye is looking like its bin pushed in at the bottom and the top bit is sticking out is it ment to be like that or am i just being paranoid now i will take a picture to try and show you

oh no.. i am so sorry RIP sweet girl :(

I am sooo sorry :( R.I.P :heart

:( I'm so sorry

late to the thread, sorry you lost her.......

i was watching the 1st vid.......please can i suggest that banging / knocking the tank is alarming and stressfull to them, you could just put your finger / hand in and swirl near, and she would move also ( just for future reference). You could also try waving your hand or finger outside the tank(not touching the tank), and she would have reacted also, banging is not really necessary. Thank you.