Sign in to follow this  
LovelyChaos

How to help microsword thrive in lower quality conditions?

So in my little town, there are really no good animal supply stores. I have yet to find one that supplies any kind of quality substrate. I haven't had a problem with my plants or with my goldies eating my plants. I have a microsword that I moved and I noticed it had branched out. I replanted it correctly in my new tank and I was wondering if it will begin to carpet? How can I help keep it healthy? I use Kent plant growth products. One that promotes healthy growth and another which is an Iron and Manganese supplement. Is there anything else I can do to help it out?

what type of lighting (and tank size)? How long are you running the lights? What substrate are you using currently?

I didn't have luck with microswords. They were too fussy, and I lost patience and pulled them.

Ahh just sun right now, non-specific substrate, just some sand in a 55. I have yet to find a good place to get nutrient rich substrate. People here in Albany don't really do planted tanks. All the sword gets is the kent supplements. They were just moved from a tank with a 15 watt fluorescent tube. What kind of light should they have? Since I don't have one I should be able to get any that it needs. I'm trying to get a carpet growing, or at least some scattered leafing for a more green look to the tank.

Edited by LovelyChaos

Micro sword (like shawn said) is a bit fussy. It likes moderate to high lighting. A dual T5HO fixture would probably be good for it on your tank. They also prefer a nutrient rich substrate, you can do this by adding some root tabs to your current substrate :) Most people I have seen growing microsword use pressurized CO2 to get good growth (e.g. a carpet effect), but I also haven't read about anyone keeping it in a goldie tank, so I don't know if this would still be required. Without good lighting/nutrients etc. it is a relatively slow grower and may not do too well.

I kept microsword in my high light, nutrient rich, Co2 etc. etc. betta tank for awhile and while it did just fine (it didn't die!) it grew so slowly I just got annoyed and replaced it with dwarf hairgrass :P

I would definitely add some root tabs and get yourself a decent light fixture. Beyond that you'll just have to see how it does :) It sounds like it is doing okay so far!

I will definitely try the tabs. It seemed to do really well in my old 20, but then again the filter stopped working so im sure the CO2 sky rocketed. I am sure that my goldfish store will carry tabs... Thank you!