Sign in to follow this  
Frenzy

Red Cap Orandas and Wen trim Surgery

I know that normal orandas can need to have wen trim surgery But I was just wondering if red cap orandas could need it too? Often to me they seem to have smaller wens. I know that all orandas could technically need wen trim surgery but I wondering how often it happens.

To me, the only time that a wen trimming is considered necessary is when the wen growth has detrimentally impacted the quality of life of the goldfish, whatever kind it may be. Detrimental impact in this cases means that the fish can no longer access food, move freely around, and as the result of the growth is now bottom sitting most of the time.

Iwebe10 has a perfect example of oranda where wen trimming made a big difference, going from bottom sitting all the time, to being active and "normal."

I would never do it if they didn't need it for their quality of life, I am just wondering if their wens ever get so big that they need wen trim surgery. I hope they don't get that big but I am just trying to find out.

It can happen to any wenned-fish, but it is not that common. I only ever had one that needed it--and in that case, his wen was huge when I bought him.

I would never do it if they didn't need it for their quality of life, I am just wondering if their wens ever get so big that they need wen trim surgery. I hope they don't get that big but I am just trying to find out.

As spillie said, this is a rare occurrence actually. Goldfish can grow some huge wen without it negatively affecting them. I've only read of a few instances where wen trimming was necessary, but in those cases, it really helped the fish in question.

Thank you dnalex! I am so pleased that this is a rare occurence. I feel much better knowing this. I am very grateful to you and everyone on Koko's for their kind words and helpful advice.

Thats fascinating, Thanks! :D