Sign in to follow this  
LovelyChaos

New 55, 2 pandas and current issues

Hello! Back in february I bought two panda goldies and stuck them in a 20. Now I know that is too small but I have been having problems with filters and it set me back. After lucking into a 55 and a Marineland Penguin 350 for 44 dollars, their new home is coming together! They aren't in the tank yet but I can already tell there will be a current problem. The filter is pretty strong even with the second lid on it. My guys are still small, only about 2-3 inches and had a problem with their tetra whisper filter. How can I make a more permanent solution to help lower the pressure? In their smaller tank I had a plastic bottle part taped to the filter that helped diffuse the current but got really mucky and fell apart quickly. I want them to be able to swim everywhere in their new tank and I would love to have a permanent solution to the filter current problem.

:Congrats: on the upgrade

The Marineland 350 is a strong filter, but by our standards it is still not enough. I have quite a bit more filtration on the 55, and even my smallest fish at the time did not have any problems with it.

How can you tell there is a current problem?

By how far down the bubbles go from the filter. I tested it on my hand and it didn't feel strong but from my past experience with the tetra filter the normal speed from the current was too strong. One of my goldies has a deformed dorsal fin and is significantly smaller and couldn't swim near the filter without getting stuck in the current. Would getting another filter be strong enough to filter the excess waste from the goldfish? Is it possible they would be able to adapt to the current? I just don't want them to be unable to swim everywhere in their new tank. They are more active than I expected goldfish to be. They like to swim really fast around their tank (:

I think they will surprise you with what they can handle current wise :)

I do have a few more comments:

1. Why not raise the water level even higher, if possible?

2. Two filters are definitely better than one. Since you are technically underfiltered with the Penguin 350, definitely get another one. I recommend AquaClears :)

The water level is about 3 inches from the top. I will add more water if I see them struggling. I just found a crack in the tank, its not leaking at all but it makes me nervous. I got the filter for 4 dollars from petco haha. I should go back to see if the other one is the same price. I'm a little overprotective of the little one. When I got him he was super small and skinny and sick looking but now he is looking so healthy and gorgeous. I guess I will know in a couple of weeks if they can handle it. Thank you (;

I have the Marineland Penguin 350 on my 29High with my Tele's and little itty bitty link and Rusty do just fine with the current ;) I do have the tank full to the rim ;) I have 2 of these filters on my 55Gallon so you might want to pick up another at that price if you can ;)

check him out ;)

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/shellbell4ever/Goldfish/?action=view&current=061.mp4

The water level is about 3 inches from the top. I will add more water if I see them struggling. I just found a crack in the tank, its not leaking at all but it makes me nervous. I got the filter for 4 dollars from petco haha. I should go back to see if the other one is the same price. I'm a little overprotective of the little one. When I got him he was super small and skinny and sick looking but now he is looking so healthy and gorgeous. I guess I will know in a couple of weeks if they can handle it. Thank you (;

where is the crack? that is a serious concern :(

At the very bottom in the corner. No water has come from it at all. Its been filled for a day and still nothing. Unfortunately I can't really get another one. Is there a way to reinforce the side to prevent any failures?

At the very bottom in the corner. No water has come from it at all. Its been filled for a day and still nothing. Unfortunately I can't really get another one. Is there a way to reinforce the side to prevent any failures?

I am not sure. Even if there is not an issue now, it could potentially affect the structural integrity of the tank long term. I would suggest starting a separate topic in the tanks/equipment section of the forum on this and include a pic if you can. I myself am no good at determining what is OK and what is not in terms of cracks, but there are others here that should be able to give you some more info on this. :)

The crack still has not shown any signs of leaking. Just the bottom part gets a little wet but i read that is normal because of gravity.