Jump to content

Will my goldfish be OK after all this?


Recommended Posts

  • Regular Member

Yesterday I was doing a water change. I took out 5 gallons from the 20gal tank, and turned off the filter so it wouldn't basically burn out from having the water level too low. I go to fill a 5gal bucket in the bathtub, and I put a thermometer under the faucet.

Wayyyle, waddaya knuuur?

The old-fashioned mercury thermometer with the bitty metal beads BROKE. I panicked, turned off the faucet, and ran to get my mom xD. She told me to turn on the air vent, open the windows, and cover the mercury with a paper towel.

I did so. In like 3 hours she cleaned it up. I kept telling her to clean up the spill, but she was busy with something else. So I don't know if the air is poisoned now with mercury, or if the septic system is not poisoned with mercury.

Anywho, I told my parents to call whoever cleans up hazardous waste, they said no, and that was that.

I can almost feel the mercury seeping into my skin O______________________________________O

Anyway, my goldfish had to go overnight with just 15 gallons of water and no 68 gallon filter :(

They're around 3 1/2 inches long (orange telescope that used to be a black moor) and 3 inches (white pearlscale)

Please let them not be hurt!!

Well, of course they're occasionally gulping air, but it's not all the time, like you might hear from goldfish that are really suffering. It's around once every 3 minutes.

HOWEVER~

I'd just like to know....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Looks like you need to inhale 80% concentration of mecury in a long term basis for it to affect you or over 0.1 mg/m3 acutely in order for it to adversly affect your body. I don't think the amount in a thermometer would have that or it would have to come with more warnings in case of accidental breakage.

I agree that if you are not feeling well to see a dr.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Aquarium thermometers these days do not contain mercury but is rather an alcohol base.

If you aren't feeling well, then definitely go see a doctor, please.

However, your fish will be OK. If you worry, do a big WC, and do one daily for a week :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

I remember as a child playing with the mercury from a broken thermometer with my brother and sister. We'd shoot the little balls together and watch them coalesce , then split the balls and repeat the process. Actually, it was so much fun that we might have broken another one on purpose. It was educational -- we were learning about surface tension. We're all senior citizens now and have suffered no known damage from this exposure (unless it caused excessive time spent on internet forums). So take it easy on your mom.

Your fish are fine, but it's good that you are so concerned for their well-being.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

When I was in grade 6 our teacher had a jar of mercury in his desk. If we were good, he'd let us play with some IN OUR BARE HAND!!!! :o

He knew the dangers of mercury but told us to just wash our hands really well afterward. We did and so far, I'm fine. :rofl

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Are you sure it was a mercury thermometer? If the liquid in the thermometer was red, it was NOT mercury. I'm can't remember what substance it would be, but it much less toxic than mercury. If the liquid in the thermometer was silver-gray then it definately was a mercury thermometer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

The red liquid in thermometers is an alcohol with red dye. Even if you could drink it, there's not enough there to be harmful. Broken glass, however, is dangerous. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

I remember as a child playing with the mercury from a broken thermometer with my brother and sister. We'd shoot the little balls together and watch them coalesce , then split the balls and repeat the process. Actually, it was so much fun that we might have broken another one on purpose. It was educational -- we were learning about surface tension. We're all senior citizens now and have suffered no known damage from this exposure (unless it caused excessive time spent on internet forums). So take it easy on your mom.

Your fish are fine, but it's good that you are so concerned for their well-being.

:rofl

I did the same thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...