Sign in to follow this  
KrystalPR

New Baby in QT: Tiny black Ranchu :)

Hi everyone,

Oops I did it again! :P A black ranchu is one of my dream fish, along with a sakura ranchu (which I'm really hoping to get from David, aka ichthius, once they're ready :) ) So I was browsing through e-bay and saw the ad, when I read his reviews and sent him a few messages and found out he shipped to Puerto Rico - I jumped on it! So even though I already have my QT occupied with a cute lionhead I decided to go ahead and get him. I went to Wal-Mart and bought one of those Sterilite 48L containers and set up a temporary QT while my lionhead finishes his QT which should be in around 10 days. Today I received my package (express mail next day delivery) and opened it to find a tiny black ranchu of 1.5-1.75" in length including the tail. He looks healthy so far, no signs of ich or any other common illness, he's very lively and, if I may add: cute. :D

Here's a pic of his setup, next to my QT in my office:

20122911.jpg

f75d871a.jpg

Here's a close-up pic of the little guy in a smaller container I have for snails as QT.

6790b85e.jpg

The white spots are small bubbles - he's spotless and so far jet black (although I have a feeling he'll change to a lighter shade because of our constant high temp 80F -85F)

6bb2e0a6.jpg

422180ab.jpg

Top view on his Sterilite QT:

f26ce688.jpg

He's at 0.1% salt while he recovers as recommended by dnalex and then I'll start his prazi rounds. I think I'm in love... AGAIN lol :)

Any name ideas???

I got 4 of your fishes siblings about 2 weeks ago!! I love how long the fins are and how jet black they are. I named mine Eenie Meenie Minie and Moe haha

I got 4 of your fishes siblings about 2 weeks ago!! I love how long the fins are and how jet black they are. I named mine Eenie Meenie Minie and Moe haha

Cool! So I guess we're family now, huh? LOL

I really liked how he came packaged, really happy with the seller - and if the goldy bug bites again I know I can trust him. :D

Congratulations! So happy for you. How about Moor :D

Ooo, what a cutie! I wanted a black ranchu forever too, and I finally got one -- but now she's turning brown. Oh well. ;)

Who was the ebay seller?

Ooo, what a cutie! I wanted a black ranchu forever too, and I finally got one -- but now she's turning brown. Oh well. ;)

Who was the ebay seller?

fishonlinerus :)

Wowza! That ranchu is NICE! :Congrats: Krystal.

I can't wait to see him grow, as well as when you get your fish from David. He's a great guy! :)

What a cutie!!! Congrats!!!

Wowza! That ranchu is NICE! :Congrats: Krystal.

I can't wait to see him grow, as well as when you get your fish from David. He's a great guy! :)

Thanks... :) LOL I just couldn't resist getting him... I guess I def. got the goldy bug. David will be letting me know once his imports are healthy and ready to ship... I plan on getting one of the baby ranchus from his Japanese import, he mentioned he thought he had a few sakura mixed in there with the calicos. Fins crossed :) It's just near impossible to get ranchus here in PR, even regular kind quality goldies are rare. My LFS stocks the usual goldies: comets, kois, few ryukins, lots of teles and orandas... It's a rare find to get a lionhead (and I found 2 :) ) from them, never seen a ranchu (which are my favorite goldies). So I'm really excited I found and met David in this forum :)

Krystal, do you have space and the inclination to build a pond for ranchu breeding? I think this will be fantastic, and is a way introduce them to the PR.

Krystal, do you have space and the inclination to build a pond for ranchu breeding? I think this will be fantastic, and is a way introduce them to the PR.

I don't have a lot of space, I mean my backyard is made on cement and my pool takes most of the room, so no room to dig up a pond... I've thought of getting one of those vinyl-like pools used as above the ground pond though... I've thought a lot about it... lol I think David has sent some ranchus to PR before, so I do think a hobbyist - like me, got some - but aquarium stores here just don't stock them ( I actually called every single one of them listed in our yellowpages). I think they're beautiful fish, I'd love to have a pond full of them, and breeding them would be fun! I do love little fishes :) I've actually even toyed with the idea of making my pool into a pond, I only use it like 5 times a year...! But my hubby would kill me, after all we did buy the house because of the pool! :D

Edited by KrystalPR

What a beauty. I'm super jealous. Congratulations.

Oh my..he is a beautiful little ranchu! Congrats!

oh he is super cute!!! Congrats!