Got the bug.

So I've always been an avid fish/aquarium girl. Currently we have a 75g tropical community, 55g Oscar tank, and now a 750g above ground pond. I had goldfish in the past, and loved them. The boyfriend isn't fond of goldies, so when I mentioned I wanted another tank, he wasn't pleased. Then again he wasn't keen on the Oscar when I purchased him, but now that's his fish son. Needless to say with the goldies out in the pond, I want a pair of fancy's inside. Browsing around here makes it hard to not run to the pet store and get all my things and start a tank cycling!

I will be purchasing a pair of fancy's from Rain Garden when the time comes. I'll be getting probably a 30g column tank to take up the last remaining spot our our little cottage for a tank! LOL Eh I lie, I am sure we can find other places for tanks. I'll try to hold off until fall/winter as we have our hands full with the pond at the moment.

Just had to share lol

There are some pictures of the progress thus far in the pond forum. I will add a few updated ones tonight!

I'd have a 120g goldfish tank if i had the space, but I currently do not :( lol

Edited by StephyJaye

Just wondering, I'm not aware of the weather in the winter in NY. Are you planning on wintering your fish in the pond?

I live very upstate NY myself( only 1hr from montreal) and I know tons of people who keep their fish outside all year long with out a prob. I only know people with underground ponds with that said so I am not sure how things would go from it being above ground. She does have a much larger pond though than any of my friends with their under gound ponds ;)

It is easy to catch the bug I fell in love with them once I started to see all the gorgeous fancys' on youtube( which I later find the videos come from 2 awesome mods here :D ) I just love their elegence with a slight of derpyness lol ;)

Welcome to the Goldfish enabling forum ;) lol

I have a ex family member here in dutchess county who winters his fish all winter with no problems not sure how big the pond is one of those pre molded black ones from the home depot the smallish sized one I think ;)

Welcome to the Goldfish enabling forum ;) lol

I have a ex family member here in dutchess county who winters his fish all winter with no problems not sure how big the pond is one of those pre molded black ones from the home depot the smallish sized one I think ;)

That's good to know! We insulted the walls before finishing them off. I'll also invest in a deicer later in the fall.

If you really had the bug, you'd go for the 56 column Marineland tank at Petsmart. I'm just sayin'. ;)

Jk! Welcome, and I look forward to seeing pictures!!! :)

I think I am going to end up going to Petsmart tomorrow while the male half is at work. And if they have a 56 column in stock it might end up in my car! lol

I think today is the day I finally get my butt out and get my new tank. Also decided to go with a HOB filter (probably Aquaclear), and a Fluval canister. We have 2 Fluval's on our community tank, and one on our Oscar tank, and we love them. Not sure if I am going to just cycle it clean and fresh or add come bio media from our other established tanks. Any other HOB you can all suggest? We had an Aquaclear on our oscar's tank, and it went to crap rather fast. Willing to give it another shot though.

Still don't know if I am going bare bottom or going with sand. Oh the choices!!! lol

I like Aquaclears. I had two newish Penguins die, so I'm not a fan of those. Plus, that biowheel is noisy. I also have a couple of Cascades, and they are good filters actually. But you have to stuff media in it, and the box is a little crowded

I love sand. It looks clean on the bottom and gives the fish something to peck through. If you aren't going to plant in it, then it doesn't have to be deep -- just enough to cover the bottom. :)

I hate being the only negative voice, but I don't think a column tank is a good idea for goldfish. Goldfish do better with a high surface area to volume ratio. Fancy goldfish are susceptible to swim bladder disease, and some people claim that keeping them in shallow water helps protect the swim bladder. I don't know if that is true, but it makes sense, since the variation in pressure in a deeper tank continually challenges the swim bladder.

^I was going to say that too. Plus it gives them more substrate to dig in if you go with sand (which my goldies LOOOOOOOOOVE).

You could also try glass half-marbles for the substrate. It's not the most natural looking, but it can be very pretty with the lights on and goldies like to push them around...plus it's very easy to clean. It's a good middle ground between sand and barebottom. Plus if you decide to go barebottom later or switch to a different substrate it's MUCH easier to take out than sand.

As far as HOBs I LOVE my aquaclears. I've had my 70 for about 3 months now, with no problems...I use the sponge (which I squeez gunk out of monthly into a bucket of tank water) seachem purigen, and the biomax it comes with. I've had my 110 for about a month, and it's setup the same way. The only thing I didn't like about my 110 is the flow it creates is a little on the strong side. My water is super clear though, and the tank is super clean. It actually catches a lot of floaty poop and food bits and other ickies. I had an emperor for about a week and it crapped out....and the one that came with my tank off of cl that worked at the previous owners would NOT start for us, even after 6+ hours of tinkering. I've heard the Magnum HOT is pretty good too, and that's a HOB canister. Sounds interesting, and I probably would have tried it by now, I just don't need another filter. :rofl

As far as size...I'd try 55 gallons maybe...I'd never be satisfied with just two fish in a tank, but that's just me. :rofl

Good luck with whatever you decide, and pictures please!!! :D

Went to Petsmart & ended up walking around deciding on what size tank I was going to settle with. On the end of one of the aisles I see these 46 gallon marineland bow front tanks. There were only 2 of them, and they were on clearance. I snagged that bad boy for $169! Much more room than the tiny 27 gallon I was sort of eyeing up. The male half will build me a stand to my height requirements so I can easily access the tank. So step one done! Tank aquired. Not rushing this tank, which we did with our community tank and ended upgrading it 2 times, and redoing it completely 2 times in the last year! LOL