Sand!

20120731_085132.jpg

Sorry about the crappy quality (took with my phone) but I'm so excited I couldn't wait to get out the nice camera. The sand is the caribsea stuff that's the white equivilant to TMS. I plan on attempting some plants, probably some anubias and something tall. The fish seem to love it, every morning there are tons of divets from where they've been foraging through it.the rock on the left is a conglomerate I pciked up near the appalachian pass, the smaller rock is a basalt with either quartz or calcite veins, and the last rock I bought at the LFS but it appears to be a basalt with quartz veins which compliments my small rock nicely.

Way to go, PSP! Seeing all the divets makes me realize how much time they spend sifting through the sand, and I think they love it. I will never go bare bottom. :)

I'm excited to see your plants! A little sand with some anubias or other easy plants is a great setup. :D

it does look very nice :) are you going to be adding more when you go planted?

I might add more to the back. I only really plan on planting the back wall and a bit of the sides so atm it has a sloping depth from 1/2 to nearly 1 inch of substrate.

That is really pretty. Is that a 37 gallon tank? What kind of filters? I don't recognize them.

It's actually a plain old 30 gal, The filters are Tetra whisper ex30s, they each put out about 160gph which isn't much but two of them seem to get the job done for now.

Edited by Pearlscaleperfect

Depending on what you plant, you might need more than an inch of sand. My plants with deep vertical roots like to push themselves out if the sand is too shallow. :)

Edited by ShawneeRiver

^I'm pretty open to plant suggestions if you have any! Ideally I'd like something that grows like a weed in low/medium light conditions and something that has the potential to grow tall/vertically so it can cover my back wall.

Asian corkscrew vals (vallisneria asiatica) are great. They need a little less light than the jungle vals, and they have a pretty twist. I added some to my 36, and they grew to the top. But then, they started breaking and not growing so tall. I think it's because i need a new bulb, but I'm not sure. They also spread easily, so you can start with a few and grow your own. You can see them in the pictures of my betta tank that I just posted, but I have them in my goldfish tanks too. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...