Sign in to follow this  
Guest Cuckoo for Calicos

Milky/cloudy Fantails

Guest Cuckoo for Calicos

Two of my calico fantails in my 550 gallon pond are milky all over. I haven't had to think about these problems for about 5 months so I can't remember what this is. The water is fresh (100% water change yesterday) to clean out a VERY nasty pond which could be why they look like that...but my boyfriend says they didn't look like that until we put them in the new water. The levels are perfect...obviously but they weren't yesterday and every day before that. Someone help. I'm buying pond salt today and I also need to know how much to use? Other than the milky thing, they're swimming around and begging for food. Thanks in advance. :ill

A milky film all over is usually a symptom of a drastic pH fluctuation. It may be that the old pond water had become acidic due to having all the leaves and gunk rotting in it over winter, so when you did a 100% change the fish were suddenly exposed to a totally different - much more alkaline - pH.

Can you test the pH Cynthia and let us know what it is? :)