"Wild" snails to goldfish tank?

Well I have my 2 goldies (Black Moor which is now a gold Telescope, and a white Pearlscale) in a 20 gallon long tank (UGH-- my aunt told me it was 40. Now my parents won't let me get a different or bigger tank) with their Eheim 68 gallon filter.

Now, a creek down the road is very pure. There are lots of little critters shooting around in there, especially the oxygen-loving crayfish with healthy bright colors which had a population EXPLOSION this year--- literally every step you make a crayfish darts backward into your shoe. Now, there are the CUTEST little snails that live either in the water....those big, ugly snails with the pointed brown shells that just muck around like little brown blobs.

I thought it would just be fun to keep one with the goldies for a week or so.

I doubt it's a good idea at all....how would you even get rid of parasites?

Just a thought.

My goldfish eat cute little snails when I've put them in the tank. Like, they don't hit the bottom and someone has eaten at least half of them. :blink: Btw, I get the snails from one of our small tanks, which has a lot of snails.

I would personally not risk bringing a wild snail into the tank (but I am also a bit paranoid). But if you really wanted to, I would QT it for quite awhile, at minimum 2 weeks, with daily water changes before adding it to the tank. Hopefully others will weigh in :)

I wouldn't risk it either but I am too paranoid, I also wouldn't recommend it since you already are at your full stocking limit. Snails need about 2-5 gallons to factor in since they can produce quite a bit of waste for a little thing lol. If you really wanted a wild snail I would recommend getting a 5 gallon tank with small filter and keep one there ;)

For QT a snail it is excatly as Tithra said just do daily water changes for 2 weeks to get any bad water it could be hinding in its shell ;)