3 new pond babies

Amazingly I found a jikin in the feeder tank. They guy let me have it for feeder price so that's a nice $15 discount :D The downside is it looks like it'll be a ribbontail. The other one has nice short lobed finned hibuna. Very hard to catch, the poor pet store owner must've thought I was crazy to make him chase it around the tank for 15 mins trying to catch it haha.

jul302012028.jpg

jul302012027.jpg

This is the maybe fish. It's a very poor quality pearlscale. They are not normally meant for ponds so we're just gonna see how it goes and I have a spare 50 gal set up in case it doesn't work out. It has a very long body for a pearlescale which is why it's in the pond.

jul302012016.jpg

jul302012008.jpg

jul302012005.jpg

The jikin is named "Guntsa" (no clue daughter named it)

The pearlescale is named "Fishy"

The hibuna doesn't have a name.

Turtle the fantail looks huge compared to them but I couldn't catch it for a photo op. The fantails at the store were covered in ich being treated with salt so I wasn't touching them.

Very nice! I bet the store employee was glad when you left :lol

But that is not a jikin, it is a watonai, I'd say. :)

Jikin have rounder bodies and a short, 4-leaf clover shaped tail. http://www.finmood.c...2_Jikin04_1.jpg

Watonai's have a slender body with a long double tail http://www.overzone....2008/wakin3.jpg

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Ahhh watonai, I was mistaking a jikin for that, I thought that the jikin was a wakin. Either way, as a watonai it will still be awesome for the pond :D

Absolutely! Watonais are some of my favorites. I always check the feeder tanks for accidental wakins and watonais myself, but haven't been lucky yet. A store half an hour away does sell wakins occasionally, but I'm not happy with their fish care. Especially their pond fish are super skinny and sick looking, at least 30% of them. They'd have to have an extraordinary fish for me to be willing to buy him, and then still he'd be in a 3month QT.

Anyway, again congrats to your finds! I'm so jealous of your watonai :D

Ohgosh, little tiny pearlie in a BIG BIG pond. Must be hyperventilating. xD

I love wakins/watonais. My store here sells them. If I had the space...

Very lucky!

• Supporter

Watonai are awesome fish are such pretty fish, and the pearlscale will give you endless hours of inside entertainment in the winter. Congratulations. :)

Thank you for all the lovely comments. They are all swimming beautifully even though they need some more water in the pond. 20-30 gallons evaporate a day. That's a lot of water buckets to haul.

• 2 weeks later...