My betta tank is filling in :)

ShawneeRiver

Hi gang! In March, I upgraded my betta tank. It is a low tech 10 gallon with planting substrate and sand with low-light plants. I added one spiral val in March, and I recently had to trim it because it's spreading all over. Also, the vals have grown up to the top of the tank and now fold over on themselves. The crypts I've had for awhile, but they finally started growing very nicely. The moss was new, and I had to take a bunch out because it was completely out of control. The duckweed is always stuck in the moss, which looks pretty cool, and it seems to be OK that way.

I'm not sure why this is growing so well. This is the Halfmoon tank by Tetra, and I thought that the led light was inadequate. But the plants don't think so. I dose Flourish and Excel when I think about it. These pictures are after a recent trim.

The occupants -- Ghost, the betta; six neon tetras; two horned nerite snails; an army of cherry shrimp; and some unknown tiny snails -- are doing well, but I don't see them as much as I'd like through the jungle.

Here's the original thread: http://www.kokosgold...-the-half-moon/

In March:

7022596663_cd66ed1d58_c.jpg

Last night:

7679466520_675953d49e_c.jpg

7679467270_4d9ec76463_c.jpg

7679465184_060119457c_c.jpg

Here's Ghost, but he's not as ghosty as he was. He lost of the metallic on his fins shortly after I got him. I assume that it's from the rough substrate.

7679465902_0a00051650_c.jpg

7679464496_09d59603bd_c.jpg

This is looking up at the top of the tank.

7679463748_7c35e27294_c.jpg

Some shrimp, maybe males because they are less colorful.

7679461840_7f43da8135_c.jpg

7679462924_a6c44d7225_c.jpg

Edited by ShawneeRiver

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shrimp are funny. Last week, we watched a shrimp climb onto a piece of duckweed to pick off stuff to eat, but the duckweed plus shrimp were heavy, so they sank. Before they hit bottom, the shrimp let go, swam up and got on another piece of duckweed, which immediately sank. The shrimp did this three times that we saw. We were amused. And Ghost loves to stalk them (and maybe eat them). ;)

Edited by ShawneeRiver

Thanks, everyone. :D

Karen, that's what I really love about -- living things are everywhere. :)

I probably should have waited for pictures. I got some rotala and crypt parva today to try. I want to clear out some of the big crypts in front and add the smaller ones, and add the leafy rotala to the background.

Ghost might be eating some of them, but there are too many shrimp to possibly count. When I switch to this tank in March, I moved 30 or 40 over. Some were very small. With enough hiding spaces, these little cherries will reproduce like crazy.

So stunning!!!! I can't wait until I have the time to set mine up! Makes me want to get with it!

Great inspiration! Will you be my my 10 gal planted tank Yoda? :P

Wow Shawnee that tank has really taken off :) It looks fantastic :) I never had much luck with Shrimp/Betta combo's so your doing something right ;) Thanks for sharing your pics :) looking forward to seeing what changes you make with your new plants :) By the Way Ghost is Gorgeous :) :)

Such a fun and lively looking tank. I love it, Shawn! :)

Thanks, Alex. You should try plants. :)

So stunning!!!! I can't wait until I have the time to set mine up! Makes me want to get with it!

Great inspiration! Will you be my my 10 gal planted tank Yoda? :P

Happy to I would be. ;) What I like about this tank is that it's easy -- no CO2 or anything fancy. I just add ferts sometimes when I think of it.

It's looking really good, Shawn. I'm jealous of your vals. :P

Thanks, Dan. My other tanks are jelly too. I wish I could get nice tall ones in the goldfish tanks! I had some, but then they broke off and are short again. :idont

Wow Shawnee that tank has really taken off :) It looks fantastic :) I never had much luck with Shrimp/Betta combo's so your doing something right ;) Thanks for sharing your pics :) looking forward to seeing what changes you make with your new plants :) By the Way Ghost is Gorgeous :) :)

Thanks a bunch, Shelly! It took me awhile to get a good shrimp colony. I think I had to hit critical mass, where more shrimp were being born than were being eaten. (If they are being eaten, which is likely. Ghost is definitely getting bigger and fatter. ;) )

You have done a great job. Looks amazing.

Hidr, I've been loving your tanks since I got here. Any compliment from you makes me feel very warm and fuzzy. :wub:

It looks so good, Shawnee. I am going to really do my beta tank, and this really is an inspiration...great idea about the shrimp/beta combo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks, MJ. They mostly ignore each other, but they give Ghost something to stalk or snack on, if he wants. He also seems to enjoy stalking the neons too. But they all have plenty of places to hide if they need to. :)

Thanks, Haley. :) I've tried lots of different plants and a few different substrates. I found some that work better than others. ;) Also, I'm willing to pass some of the plants I love the look of and use plants that are easier to grow. That's a big thing. I would LOVE a grass carpet, but that is a lot of work, and I'm not interested in that much work. Also, if I try a plant and don't like it, or it doesn't thrive, I pitch it and try something new.

So, I just changed the tank. I'll try to get a picture tonight. Because of the curve, this tank catches a lot of glare, so the darker the better. :)

After taking these pictures, I realized how hard it is to see my fish! So I pulled out some of the tall green crypts in the front and added crypt parva there. It should get to be only 2 inches max, and it's supposed to be very slow growing. Now I'll have an open foreground area. I'm happy with the change. :)

I also added a piece of rotala. I'd like to move it to the back, but I didn't feel like doing that much work today.

7688532698_80110f04dc_c.jpg

This is a good change. In this picture, I see Ghost, three of the six neons, and bunch of shrimp. :clapping:

Edited by ShawneeRiver

Ooh, I love it Shawn! :D I like the open foreground, it helps draw the eye in.

Is this tank like an extreme bow front or is it cylindrical? I really like the shape of it lol.