Pics of my pond

finsNfur

I dug this pond over 6 years ago, and surrounded it with rocks I found in the woods around my house. I am always re-landscaping the perennials around it. It's about 5' x 7', nearly 3' deep at it's center. It has shelves around it for plants, I am guessing it is somewhere around 500 gallons. It was a bit of a challenge as the ground slopes downwards all the way to the driveway. I have 12 comets and sarrasas goldies, some are offspring that survived being eaten by the other goldfish and frogs, and are a few years old. This year the black-eyed susans sprung up after being self-sewn last year, so in the fall I'll be moving things around again. The pond is partly-shady. I have to keep a net over it, a few years ago I lost a few fish to either a blue heron or hawk. The lizard on the rock is fake. :D

Looking at the pond from my deck:

IMG_3882.jpg

IMG_3884.jpg

IMG_3885.jpg

IMG_3913.jpg

Beautiful. I haven't really done much landscaping around mine yet. I was just happy to get the thing dug. lol. I will probably work on it this fall. I hope i can do as good a job as you have.

Thanks, everyone! Denise, your pond is fantastic the way the rocks line yours, I wish I had rocks like that. Once you get some plants around it, mine will be pitiful by comparison. ;)

Shellbell, there is a submersible pond filter on the bottom, you can see the fountain-tube-thing shooting water up about 4" above the surface near the center of the pond.

Thank you!

Denise, the tall green ones are just the common yellow pond lily. The variegated ones to the right of the iris, which you can barely see, is called variegated sweet flag. I bought them from a nearby member on another fish forum a few years ago. When you get ready to plant, if you are interested I could send you some if you just pay for shipping. Maybe in the fall or spring when it's not so hot. They just it in the pond in pots with regular garden soil. They really spread a lot, though! In fact I have some listed on Craigslist right now, hoping to thin it out.

Here are the goldfish, and one of the many green frogs living there. I do my best to chase away bull frogs after seeing one eat one of my fish right in front of my very own eyes. The green frogs are really mellow and don't bother the fish.

IMG_3922.jpg

IMG_3938.jpg

IMG_3936.jpg

IMG_3934.jpg

Thank you!

Denise, the tall green ones are just the common yellow pond lily. The variegated ones to the right of the iris, which you can barely see, is called variegated sweet flag. I bought them from a nearby member on another fish forum a few years ago. When you get ready to plant, if you are interested I could send you some if you just pay for shipping. Maybe in the fall or spring when it's not so hot. They just it in the pond in pots with regular garden soil. They really spread a lot, though! In fact I have some listed on Craigslist right now, hoping to thin it out.

Oh cool, I would love to have some, and would happily pay the shipping.

The top view is a-m-a-z-i-n-g..............thats how i imagine a pond should be

like that its protected from predators

the sides flowers hide the pond from passerbys......would not have known there was a pond there

truly amazing :clapping:

love it..........................

Thank you! The frogs can be annoying though, they "talk" 24/7, and with a dozen or more of them it's hard to sleep at night. One makes a noise that sounds like "ho, ho, ho", and when I try and sleep all I can think of is Santa. :rofl

• 2 weeks later...

That's beautiful! It must have taken a looong time to build ;)

If you wanted to keep harens away without a net, you could add a sculpture of one. I have heard that it works quite well :)

I hope my pond turns out as nicely as yours has!

Very pretty!!! I can't believe bull frogs eat your fish!!!! Scary! We just have cute little frogs and toads here, nothing at all big enough to eat a fish (thank god lol)

Your water hyasinth looks really great! Mine didn't do well at all this year, neither did my water lettuce, but I think it might be the source I got it from because usually it does really well. The lilly pads are so pretty too! I wanted to get one this year, but usually the water lettuce takes over the entire top of my pond, so much so that I need to throw a bunch out, but this year that didn't happen. Guess I should have gotten the lily haha

• 1 month later...