Sign in to follow this  
Acro

Goldfish Babies and Bristlenose Eggs, all tonight!

About a week ago, every goldfish female in my 3 tanks laid eggs the same day! Two of the tanks had only females, the third had 2 males and one female.

I've been upgrading tanks and switching fish around. Could that have been what caused the girls to make all these eggs?

I have never wanted to breed goldfish so I left the eggs in the tank for the goldfish to pick off (as I always do).

A few days later, I pulled one plant out of the 2 male/1 female tank and placed it in my 10 gallon "plant grow out" tank. It must have had some eggs on it because tonight I saw 3 baby goldfish! At first I thought they were mosquito larvae.

Then, I look in the tank housing my 2 bristlenose plecos, and there is a whole mass of Bristlenose eggs in the coconut hut! I recently placed the male and female together, maybe 2 nights ago, they had not been together in years!

I've never wanted to breed goldfish or bristlenose plecos, but I am excited! I'm still not sure if I want to grow them out (then keep them or try to find homes for them). They would be a quick snack for my adult goldfish and turtles, but I don't know if I want to feed them off either.

I didn't do anything special to breed these fish, I wasn't even trying! It is an exciting find, I guess they are happy. :D

I forgot to mention, the goldfish female is a single tail telescope. One male is a single tail telescope, and the other mane is an eggfish.The bristlenose are both short fin albinos.

Pictures soon to come...

Edited by Acro

:Congrats:

Lots of activities goin' on in the Acro household there!

That is an interesting combination of possible parents. I personally would definitely try to have a few grow out and see what they turn into :D

I would be so excited! I want goldfish babies just once. I love the little ones and would love to watch them grow. I am so excited for you.

Edited by DeniseC

Cool! You should try to keep them. Based on the experiences of members here, that's easier said than done, so I wouldn't worry about what to do with them until you see if they make it.

Did you get the corner tank, Acro?

whoo hoo how exciting :) congrats :) I myself would love to raise some fry again (if I had another tank as it is so much fun ;))

CONGRATS!!!.....................can't wait to see pics........WTG........ :clapping:

Congrats!!!! I got my first BN babies a little over a week ago. They are so easy to care for. And they are not hard to sell ;)

Counted 7 goldfish fry today! And found a 2nd smaller batch of Bristlenose eggs in the Coco hut!

Take a look:

The goldfish babies are tiny, hard to photograph.

gf1_.jpg

gf2_.jpg

Two fry in thse pictures.

gf3_.jpg

gf4_.jpg

gf5_.jpg

gf6_.jpg

Albino bristlenose pleco dad guarding eggs.

View from below, no flash.

bne1_.jpg

View from below, flash on.

bne3_.jpg

View from the front.

bne4_.jpg

Thanks everyone for the congrats and such! :D

I knew all of you would tell me to raise them up. lol

No corner tank ShawneeRiver, one craigslist person beat me to it! Almost had it, so close, its ok, there will be another.

Do you have Albinos ashlee18?

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Acro

Yay for babies! They are so tiny. Good luck with them!!

Oh how neat! I think I'll show my little one this thread and count it as a biology lesson!

Best of luck with your nursery!!

Counted 9 goldfish babies tonight!

Gave them their 1st feeding. Crushed up some of the Japanese goldfish food I brought back, into a fine powder, and sprinkled it on the surface. Saw them take little tiny goldfish bites! I am sure they were eating whatever small microcritters were in that plant tank, but who knows when that would have run out.

Bristlenose dad is still watching over his eggs. Now and then I find two or three pushed out, I just place them back in with him. The mom stays under some wood close by.

How exciting for you, it will be fun to watch them grow :)

That is a lot of eggs! I do have all albinos :)

After I wrote that last post, I had to go out of town for a week. I did not have a pet sitter and was worried about the fish babies and eggs.

On my return, two goldfish babies had survived! (better than I expected) and ALL the bristlenose eggs had hatched!

Have a look:

Goldfish babies in a cup.

goldfish_babies_.jpg

ALL the bristlenose babies with their Dad (bottom view).

bristlenose_dad_with_babies_.jpg

One baby out and about. (Over the past few days they have all started to come out)

bristlenose_baby_.jpg

Fish babies are cute. :D

Holy that's a lot of bristle babies!!!

That is just AWESOME!!! Wow I never seen baby bristles like that :thumb:

I have never seen bristle babies before either,......man that's a lot of babies too............awesome !!!

the baby gold fish are growing...............nice job..............WTG....... :clapping:

This is so cool! Do keep us updated on the growth of babies!

oh my gosh those bristle mouth babies are so freaking cute!!! and best wishes with the two goldfish fry as well :)

They are like cute little specs!

Congratulations!!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

How are the babies doing? Any growth?

I went out of town for about 5 days and returned to happy healthy fish babies! Take a look at them:

The bristlenose babies are really starting to explore.

bristlenose_babies1_.jpg

bristlenose_babies2_.jpg

Goldfish babies are growing and easier to photograph. Can you find them in the pictures? Hint: only one goldfish baby per picture.

goldfish_baby1_.jpg

goldfish_baby_2_.jpg

goldfish_baby3_.jpg

And...something new. I've been home for 2 days now and last night, I was checking on the bristlenose tank, and look what I found!

bristlenose_eggs_3rd_batch_.jpg

More bristlenose pleco eggs!!! The 3rd batch sofar, all in less than a months time! (notice the babies from the 1st two batches in the picture)

I think I may need to separate the parents for a bit, give me some time to care for, and find homes for all these babies!

:D