Sling for sinkers.

Pearlscaleperfect

Unfortunately it irritates her so for the time being she isn't in it. But thank you all for the kind comments. I'm still working on a design that has less chance of causing irritation or an infection.

Winter in "The Dolphin's Tale", had a tail made especially, but they need to wear it over a silicone cover, it irritated her alot, and she was thrashing it off - we were there. Sadly they can't use the artificial tail alot, because they can't use any material to get her to wear it, due to the irritation.

I really hope you find a non-irritant material for her. :goodluck

^I was actually looking into something made of silicone, I got the idea from socks made for wearing flats that use silicone on the heel to keep the sock snug and comfortable, I'm unsure of how practicable it would be. Still researching more possible materials.

i was thinking, all the money and reserach, that went into building winter that tail, and the only unforeseen hiccup was finding a non-irritant material, to wear in between the artificial tail and her skin.......so far none.........without that tail, winter's spine is arched really badly......which is the reason they tried to get her an artificial tail. :(

mabye something that covers the entire body of the fish instead of just a band? just thinking out loud but think of when you were tight clothes(like compression tops) then think of when you have something like a belt wrapped tightly around you, what provides more comfort? im thinking along the lines of a tight stretchy material that can cover the entire fish apart from the head/fins/anal areas... think that would work and it would mean that it wouldn't get caught under scales and pull them off either.

am i nuts? fish compression tops for sale here, perfect for removing sweat under heavy exercise! :lol

Edited by dodge245

It's not so much comfort as it is that irritation is caused by any material coming in contact with the slimecoat and scales. So you want less contact with the skin, not more. She also doesn't weigh much in water, so a small band isn't putting nearly any pressure on her at all.

I have no idea if this would work, but have you tried a Telfa pad? I don't know if it would disintegrate in water or not. If you don't know what a Telfa pad is, it has one fuzzy side and one coated side (plastic?) that is non-sticking. I have used them on pet wounds that need to be covered, but can't have anything sticking on them. Just an idea out of the blue.

• 4 weeks later...

Pre tie and slip. It was highly elastic and so I stretched it out like I was putting on a hair tie and slipped my hand (and the sling) over her until it fit snugly. Unfortunately nearly every material caused irritation and I've come to the general conclusion that there isn't one material or design that is suitable long term. 'Long Term' depends on the individual fish, some will last a few hours before showing irritation, some a few days or more, but once irritation begins things can slide downhill quickly and they are more likely to reject future slings regardless of material.

mmmm.... darn sinkers :( My oranda Puff has been a mix of a floater/sinker for quite awhile now, but just recently has sunk (it seems permanently) to his left side. I have been going back and forth on euthanizing him, as he is unable to keep himself upright at all, needs to be held to eat, and is getting irritation on his wen/cheek from laying on the tank floor :( I thought I might try out a sling for him, but it sounds like that may really not be a real solution either. It's so hard to let him go when he still gets so excited to eat!

Yea, Glados ate even on her last day, but over time the deterioration really wears down all the fins and they're a lot more susceptible to infections since they're coming in constant contact with the tank floor. I firmly believe I made the right decision to PTS my girl, her quality of life was just too poor, even if she was still eating. Once they go to one side it's a lot harder to find solutions. I think in the future should one of my fish fall to the side I'd probably euth more quickly, it's hard watching them go downhill when you put so much work into them :( Glados only became a side layer in late july but she he quality of life declined very quickly since she had to really struggle to get anywhere and half the time she would just lay around looking heart breakingly pathetic.

Thank you so much for your input :heart I really do appreciate your honest opinion. It has been so hard for me to decide what to do, I am super attached to this fish and it just breaks my heart to think of euthing him, but it also breaks my heart to watch him. I know the right thing to do is euth :( I got out the clove oil on sunday, but just couldn't bring myself to actually do it :cry But your advice helps.... I know I have to just suck it up and do it, he really has no quality of life laying on his side all day :no:

I know, it took me a while to come to terms with it as well. But unlike many other species of animals where they can still live a quality life while disabled this just isn't always the case for fish as they are quite fragile. Once I got it over and done with all I felt was relief, as horrible as that might sound. She went very peacefully with no signs of distress or struggling and I did it gradually so she fell asleep first and then upped the amount of clove oil once she was unconscious. It was extremely hard to do but I feel it is probably the kindest way to go, she no longer has to struggle and I don't have to stress out over how to make her comfortable.

I know, it took me a while to come to terms with it as well. But unlike many other species of animals where they can still live a quality life while disabled this just isn't always the case for fish as they are quite fragile. Once I got it over and done with all I felt was relief, as horrible as that might sound. She went very peacefully with no signs of distress or struggling and I did it gradually so she fell asleep first and then upped the amount of clove oil once she was unconscious. It was extremely hard to do but I feel it is probably the kindest way to go, she no longer has to struggle and I don't have to stress out over how to make her comfortable.

thank you for sharing this :heart it really does help. I know I will be relieved after as well, it has been a long long time of worrying about this fish.

PSP, I had no idea you had to euthanize your poor fish. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Thank you for your condolences :heart

thank you for sharing this :heart it really does help. I know I will be relieved after as well, it has been a long long time of worrying about this fish.

I know how you feel :hug It's a very tough choice to make and no matter what you choose I know you have the best interests of Puff in mind.

• 2 weeks later...