Sign in to follow this  
wteoh1

Hikari Frozen Bloodworms Protein?

You guys have the frozen bloodworms from Hikari. The crude protein it says is only 6%. I feed them to my betta occasionally and the leftovers to my Goldfish.

Truly, how much protein are in the bloodworms?

I have the Hikari Bio-pure and it also says 6%. Weird.

Protein is listed by weight, and most of the weight in frozen bloodworms is water.

Protein is listed by weight, and most of the weight in frozen bloodworms is water.

:exactly

I'm not sure why would would find it weird that it's 6% protein. The San Francisco Bay brand is only 3% protein.

All I know is my Betta's and Goldfish go Crazy for them ;) lol

I meant that it's so "low" in protein. Or at least that everyone says they're so high in protein, but then it's only 6%. I guess compared to other foods they're high.

They're actually almost nothing BUT protein. Their dry weight is like, 80% protein IIRC.

I meant that it's so "low" in protein. Or at least that everyone says they're so high in protein, but then it's only 6%. I guess compared to other foods they're high.

They are pretty high in protein, and not at all in terms of fillers. If you remove the moisture (water) out of the equation, blood worms are 1/2 protein by weight, or more.

I haven't tried these for my goldfish yet but it appears they have more protein than is found in the brand I usually buy. I'll have to check the box.