The Project (In Progress)

StephyJaye

I am new here. Not really new to fish keeping. Haven't kept goldfish in awhile though. A few weeks ago I mentioned to my boyfriend I wanted a goldfish pond. That is all it took, he was all set and ready to build. I was picturing something small and subtle. He didn't have those ideas. We went out and got the woods and liner. We wanted an above ground as we are renting from my grandparents and they don't want us digging up their property. Plus when I mentioned it my grandmother was like "We have a pond." Yes we do, but not a GOLDFISH pond. It's just not the same. Here are some of the pictures. Still very much in progress. Filter building this weekend, and adding the finishing outside touches!

IMG_0037.jpg

There was a ton of building involved. Just the beginning here. We thought it was best to start this build the hottest day of the summer in the barn. We almost died.

IMG_0074-1.jpg

Taken this morning. Have the pump running. We got antsy and picked up a few comets & they are happy as could be for the time being. Also added some oxygenating plants and a few pots for hiding spots.

IMG_0079.jpg

Front view. It's an eyesore at the moment. the corners will have flower boxes after this weekend, and we'll be adding the outside wood and edging. Still fighting it out with the boy about what we want on the outside lol.

IMG_0080.jpg

The back recessed area will be a cabinet of sorts for filter equipment and such. This is up to change though.

It looks like a hot mess at the moment, sorry for that. But I will post progress pictures as things shape up! Also if anyone has suggestions of online store to get pond plants that would be great. I want to get some floating plants. It's a little late in the season to start with anything fancy for flowering.

Edited by StephyJaye

Nice. Wasn't it "fun" putting the liner one the side with the indentation? That is big for a wood pond. How deep is it? Are you sure you have enough support underneath? I can't see for sure how it's constructed, but that's a lot of weight.

These ponds look good with cedar siding. Tiling is nice too. Tile works best if you cover the outside with cement board. I assume you are going to insulate the walls of the pond before you finish it off. It's so tall that I'm wondering if you are planning to build a deck around it.

I am fully aware I am not going to be able to get my pond where I want it this summer. We started it much too late for fancy plants and such. But I'm really just concerned with figuring out what filtering system we want for sure. My boyfriend keeps changing his mind and it's driving me nuts :wall We keep plugging along on our days off. Here is recent progress!

IMG_0111-1.jpg

We decided to go with landscaping timber, as it matches our patio area. We have 2 of the 4 side done so far. Went easy on the boyfriend, been working him hard lately! LOL

IMG_0109.jpg

Water lettuce! Pond plants are impossible to come by around me. So I found someone on Ebay who was selling 12 plants. He lives in my town, and delivered me a HUGE box of lettuce today. I purchased it last night! I'm going to try to winter some in my tanks inside come fall/winter. Awaiting 2 16oz cans of duckweed. I'll put some in the pond, and some in my tanks. I know it'll take over, but my fish love to eat anything green.

IMG_0110.jpg

Another shot of the lettuce & my solar fountain! Cheesy eh? I had to buy the fountain, it was like $21 at Harbor Freight. The goldies seem to be loving the lettuce. They are at the surface the most I have seen them since putting them in there. They have to be feeling much safer.

We'll be adding an ledge to the top this upcoming set of days off. And finishing off the outside. Then working on the flower boxes, and a little step ledge on the outside.

Edited by StephyJaye

The landscaping timbers look nice. How tall is that pond?! I think I'd be afraid of falling in, LOL.

What choices for filters are you discussing? I'm kind of addicted to making filters. I hear of a "new" type and want to try it. As sad as that sounds, there are a lot of ponders with this condition.

I'm eager to here how your solar fountain works. I bought a little cheapie they had, and only after I got it home and read the instructions did I learn that it was not to be used in a fish pond. I looked at the one you have and was nervous about trying it out after the previous experience.

Edited by shakaho

The landscaping timbers look nice. How tall is that pond?! I think I'd be afraid of falling in, LOL.

What choices for filters are you discussing? I'm kind of addicted to making filters. I hear of a "new" type and want to try it. As sad as that sounds, there are a lot of ponders with this condition.

I'm eager to here how your solar fountain works. I bought a little cheapie they had, and only after I got it home and read the instructions did I learn that it was not to be used in a fish pond. I looked at the one you have and was nervous about trying it out after the previous experience.

What's your new secret project shakaho? :P

• 2 weeks later...