• * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.7
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Test Kit
  • * Water temperature? 74-75* F
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 38g, 3 mo
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Marineland Penguin 350
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 25-40% weekly
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Last Saturday 7/21

• * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3, fits in the palm of hand. Ryukin
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Daily, 3 pellets each.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) none
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Fish is not swimming properly. Alive, no external issues. Floating with current.

Do you have a video of this? When did this start?

He stayed the bottom on his stomach and would swim once in a while, but he was active. Although today he seems to have completely lost capability of swimming under control, so I don't exactly know what's wrong with him. It seems like SBD to me.

EDIT: I'm uploading a video to YouTube now. I'll post it in a second…

Edited by Neil D

I am sorry he isn't feeling well :( sending healing vibes.

Thanks. Do you have any advice?

EDIT: I'm going to feed them lightly boiled peas (in old tank water). One mashed pea for each fish, even though only one guy isn't doing good.

I also put Kin in a 2g bucket so he wouldn't get knocked around by the current. I'm not sure if he'll make it through the night, but I'm hoping for the best.

Edited by Neil D

I still new to D&D and I don't want to steer you in the wrong way ;) I know though someone soon should be with you (they are good like that) The main thing I can recommend is to stay calm and maybe surf around Koko's to keep your mind off things. I know I do that when one of my guys are sick and waiting for a reply. ;) You are in good hands we will help you :)

Thanks. For some reason I thought you were an "expert". I misjudge like that...XD

Anyway, Kin didn't eat, unfortunately. He's still in his bucket with an air hose. The other two guys did eat and are doing fine. I appreciate any more help any of you can provide.

Does he have any interest in food? and is he breathing heavy?

Not breathing heavily. Normally actually. But he isn't eating peas! The other two gobbled them up!

Have you noticed any strange poo from him?

Hi Neil,

Thanks for uploading the video. I'm sorry to say this, but I'm not sure that there is a whole lot that we are going to be able to do to help. Your fish is in rather severe distress, and I cannot recommend any treatment that would not not take a toll on his/her body. The only thing that you can do right now to remove him/her as you did and to put her in an aerated container, changing 100% of the water daily, making sure you match the temp and pH every time. The 2 gallon is too small, and the water will foul too quickly. You need something bigger. Normally we recommend something like 10 gallons, but because of her size, 5 gallons should be OK for now. You don't need a filter, but you will need an airstone.

Also, if she's been bottom sitting for a while, that's a big sign that something is not right. From your description, it sounds like flukes, and you should treat your tank for this. The sooner, the better.

Thanks. For some reason I thought you were an "expert". I misjudge like that...XD

I don't think you misjudged. MissColonel has been extremely kind to help so far, from offering calming re-assurance, to most importantly telling you not to do anything precipitous.

Thanks. The other two guys seem okay, absolutely nothing wrong. How would I preventatively treat for flukes?

I don't have anything larger than 2g, so I'll do a water change first thing tmrw morning and again before bed. I do have a hose, but no air stone. It's just bubbling.

Thank you both for the help/reassurance. I really appreciate it. I'll keep you posted.

Flukes is best treated with praziquantel, which you can get in either tablet form (crush, dissolve, and add) or liquid form (Prazipro). With both, you are likely going to have to order online.

Is there any way to tell if my guys have it? I don't want to order prematurely. ( If there's no way to tell, I'll do it any way.)

Do you happen to know if bettas get it too? I use the same gravel siphon for both tanks. They're also healthy as ever.

As far as I know, bettas can get flukes as well.

Do you have a microscope? If you do, you can scrape the fish and check for flukes. Otherwise, there is no other definitive way.

I'm so sorry about your floating fish. I hope he recovers. The disease experts here will do every thing they can to help you and your fish.

I don't think I want to know but what how do you "scrape for flukes?"

:donthit:

As far as I know, bettas can get flukes as well.

Do you have a microscope? If you do, you can scrape the fish and check for flukes. Otherwise, there is no other definitive way.

I don't think I want to know but what how do you "scrape for flukes?"

It sounds harder than it really is...if you need, I think one of the moderators (stakos) has a video showing how to scrape. There are also very clear instructions in several books. Practice makes perfect.

Yeah I read up about Flukes last night. The only thing that goes back and forth between tanks is the siphon. It's always dry, so if flukes are water born, they'd be dead. All other fish are okay, and he seems to be getting better in his quarantine. He's not listing so much, but he's bottom sitting in the bucket. Maybe by tonight/tomorrow he'll be okay.

I've also been thinking about a salt bath. Like a last-ditch option for Kin. I've read that it could kill parasites/worms and also help rejuvenate the slime coat. [LINK DELETED BY DNALEX]

Edited by dnalex
Remove link

Yeah I read up about Flukes last night. The only thing that goes back and forth between tanks is the siphon. It's always dry, so if flukes are water born, they'd be dead. All other fish are okay, and he seems to be getting better in his quarantine. He's not listing so much, but he's bottom sitting in the bucket. Maybe by tonight/tomorrow he'll be okay.

How is your siphone always dry? Do you use it? :o

If there is flukes in your tank, then everyone has it, and it's a matter of degrees of severity.

In any case, it's up to you to take the suggestion or not. :)

I've also been thinking about a salt bath. Like a last-ditch option for Kin. I've read that it could kill parasites/worms and also help rejuvenate the slime coat.

Salt baths can be good, if it's done appropriately. What you read was not good enough, and certainly it won't do much to the flukes.

You've also been asked multiple times not to link to other sites, especially goldfish sites. Please respect the rules. If you don't, we will need to place you on a post by post authorization until Koko reviews it further,OK?

In any case, I do not think that your fish is strong enough for any sort of treatment right now. If you were to do a salt bath, it liable to kill him. Let him be for now. The best thing you can do is multiple water changes daily. You also need to get a much larger container. Two gallons is simply not big enough.

Oh seriously? I posted that link to show you where I got the information from. Next time I won't even do that, sorry.

Anyway, yeah I use the siphon, but not on the same day. So it dries out in between. Kin seems more active, but he's upside down, sideways, basically every way except upright. :/ I can't get a larger container, but I am doing 2 full WC's a day (morning and night). I won't do the salt bath. He ate two pellets yesterday, but no peas when I tried today.

Any food you recommend?

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

You can try feeding de shelled peas cooked in tank water then soak them in garlic most fish will go crazy for anything soaked in garlic ;) You can also try no salt canned green beans I get this kind and my guys love them product_photo_248.png

I don't have those peas, but maybe I'll try the garlic idea soon. The other two ryukins love the shelled green peas....

Good luck ;) keep us updated and if you guys go to any large store like walmart, see if your parents could pick up a 5-10 gallon steralite container ;) they are very cheap like 5- 10 dollars :D

I definitely want to do that, and I will update for sure.