mystery creatures in my tank

spillie

I just noticed I have some mystery creatures in my tank! At first, I thought they were snail eggs. I have 2 zebra nerites that have laid eggs all over the place. These are about the same size, but are translucent with a brown center, shaped somewhat like a clam. Very small-a bit bigger than pinhead size. I saw the first one on the tank wall and it is moving along very slowly (underwater). I do not see any legs or appendages. It moves like a snail over the wall, but I thought zebra nerite eggs could not hatch in freshwater. Anyway, they have no shell, just this brownish glob in the middle of the translucent body. I found a few others that are resting on the tank wall just above the waterline. I've added no one new to the tank in about 6 weeks, when I added a goldie I had in another tank wth no plants or anything for about 2 months.. No new plants, either, in several months and I PP new plants, anyway. I suppose I could have had a hitchiker, though...hmmm...could these be snail eggs that somehow hatched or...? All I have (knowingly) in there are goldies, plants, zebra nerites, and a group of white cloud minnows. Take a look at the pics (best I could do)--anyone know what these are?

weirdthings027.jpg

weirdthings026.jpg

It is a mystery!

• Supporter

from what i see on the internet, baby snails that have come out from their egg will display antennae. if there is none of that, then they may not be snails. i think isabella has given you some good advise to take them out of the tank, as many as you can find and sit them seperately to see what they will grow as. they could be slugs? i really don't know.

I believe I have had these in my betta tank before (not totally positive they are the same), I believe they are a type of copepod. They look like small white ovals and tend to hang out on the glass and move relatively slowly. I had found at one point the type I thought I had (there are so many kinds), but I can't seem to pull it up now.

• 2 weeks later...

I pulled them out and out them in a glass of water, but they died. So--still no idea what they are (were)! I may find more later and will try again. (Amazing how things end up in the tank. I pp all my plants., but hitchikers still make it in there.)

Those are freshwater limpets. They don't hurt anything. In fact, they are great for diatoms. :)

Freshwater limpets--is that what they are? Thanks! I was soooo curious. I've leave any more be, then.. (anything that eats diatoms in my tank is my friend). :)

I was gonna say snails, ive got 20-30 of these on the side of my guppy tank which came from a hitch-hiking snail bloody thing i keep throwing them out the window but there are now loads of them, looking for assassin snails to eat them(anyone know where to buy in UK?)

Those are freshwater limpets. They don't hurt anything. In fact, they are great for diatoms. :)

Freshwater limpets--is that what they are? Thanks! I was soooo curious. I've leave any more be, then.. (anything that eats diatoms in my tank is my friend). :)

Yep :) I'll bet they came in on your plants. I have them in just about all my tanks, but I don't see them very often. Don't overfeed so that there is no extra food (that could also cause an algea bloom) and they shouldn't give you any problems. They will multiply fast if the conditions are right! If you ever decide you don't want them, just squish 'em up against the glass and the fishies'll eat them ;)