I miss fancys :(

Dont get me wrong, i LOVE betty minnow and marchello my single tails, but i miss my slow moving, fat bellied fancys (mostly Ed)

i have 2 single tails in my 80 gallon tank with one pest snail 9Marchello is in love with snail eggs so no baby snails)

but i worry about getting a fancy, i was thinking an oranda as ive always heard orandas are a bit fiesty and marchello is quite a fiesty fish when it comes to his dinner.

my tank is stable, havent had any problems with water quality (did have a brown algea break out a lil while back but its fine now)

i dunno what do you all think?

From my experience both Oranda's and Ryukin's have been the tougher fish- and if any fancy can get along with a single tail it would be them.

I think your set-up is understocked too, the general rule is 20 gallons per single tail, and ten gallons per fancy- and a gallon per snail. I don't foresee any problems in your aquarium should you add a fancy.

I might suggest, seeing as how Marcello is a bigger fish that if you do decide to buy another goldie, that the goldie be bigger than a couple of inches.

If you have a way to rehome or rehouse the fancy if there are issues then I would go for it. You have plenty of space and as long as you stay understocked territory issues are less likely to crop up. Be aware that you may have to feed them separately or rearrange the tank if aggression issues to crop up. If you look for a fish that has a longer body (most orandas and ryukins fit in this but fantails also can fit the bill) they will more than likely keep up with the singletails. If you are missing just the beauty of a double tailed. The wakin or jikin is also an option. You would have room for a fish like that as well.

i have on hand, three 20 gallons, 2 plastic storage totes, five 10 gallons, and a 55 gallon.

so yes i can re-house it if anything happens.

no i miss the giddy-ness of fancies, while the single tails are active and happy they dont have the same kind of happy wiggle the fancys have

Go for it. If you are worried the current fish won't be accepting, put in a divider until they get to know one another. If you want an oranda, get one. I have a couple in with my pond fish, and they have no idea that they are any different from the other guys.

I would say whichever would be easier maintainence, and can be placed in a quiet stress-less zone. You might need to do daily water changes if your QT isn't cycled, and depending on your water parameters too.

How big is the tub? If they are the same size, the tank has the advantage that you see the fish from the side. The fish would probably prefer the tub, particularly if it it opaque -- much less scary. Also the tub probably has a better surface to volume ratio, which is better for fishies.

Unless it's a big fish, I prefer a ten gallon for quarantine. Water changing is easier and you use less expensive medication. For the truly deluxe quarantine, you could use two ten gallon tanks/tubs and do 100% water changes. You just set up the two tanks at the same time, one with the first salt/prazi/whatever treatment, the other with the second. Put the fish in the first tank, and transfer it to the second the next day, leaving behind any pathogens/parasites it has shed. Then empty the first tank, rinse it out well, and set it up for the next transfer. No filters are needed, but air is good.

How big is the tub? If they are the same size, the tank has the advantage that you see the fish from the side. The fish would probably prefer the tub, particularly if it it opaque -- much less scary. Also the tub probably has a better surface to volume ratio, which is better for fishies.

Unless it's a big fish, I prefer a ten gallon for quarantine. Water changing is easier and you use less expensive medication. For the truly deluxe quarantine, you could use two ten gallon tanks/tubs and do 100% water changes. You just set up the two tanks at the same time, one with the first salt/prazi/whatever treatment, the other with the second. Put the fish in the first tank, and transfer it to the second the next day, leaving behind any pathogens/parasites it has shed. Then empty the first tank, rinse it out well, and set it up for the next transfer. No filters are needed, but air is good.

that..is a good idea an i think i will give that a shot, that way i dont have to worry about having to disinfect a filter after-ward, and as for 100 percent water changes daily, thats a no big for me!

I probably wouldn't continue 100% water changes daily past the first week. That's when you are most likely to have viable pathogens/parasites released into the water. The places where they are most likely to be is at the very bottom of the tank and in the filter. Every other day the second week, and introduce a filter with some media from their future tank the next.

• 2 weeks later...

I would go with a fantail. It would fair better with the other I believe. Not as many swimming issues.

I have an oranda and a fantail and maybe its just my particular fish but the fantail is definitely faster at diving and getting the food, i have to drop peas for him first then when he's busy eating my oranda can get them too as they are dropped in. I think fantails are pretty hardy in comparison to other fancies I read on the raingarden website.

I have had Spot, my BIG Comet for years. He has never bothered the other fish. And right now 3 or 4 of his "room mates" are small young Orandas!!

Now I don't know if Spot's calm personality is normal for a Comet or not!