Sign in to follow this  
jeffyjj

Feeding for a 4 inch oranda

Hi I am new to this forum.I bought a new tank which can hold 40 gallons.I am currently cycling with an oranda using Microbacter 7 from Brightwell Aquatics.My oranda is almost 4 inches from head to tail.This is my 4 th day with this cute Iittle fella.I feed him 12 tetra gold Japan sinking sticks as a staple diet and one green pea every two days.Can somebody how many sinking sticks should I feed him.Can I feed him with freeze dried blood worm or frozen brine shrimp.Have anybody used microbacter 7 for cycling a tank.Please help

Edited by jeffyjj

Hello and Welcome to koko's :)

There is lots of info on foods and feeding her on the site take a look around I'm sure you'll find the info your looking for, I myself have never tried the sticks so can not advise, a lot of folks here use gel food which they prepare :)

One thing i can tell you is that we all LOVE goldfish Pic's so please share when you can ;)

Hiya. It's difficult to tell exactly how much to feed, since there's variation in food even within brands. Tetra isn't exactly known for their quality food however; it's probably better than flakes, but you could do better for a small increase in price.

The best staple diet would probably be pro gold or repashy gel, although it might be difficult to get in your country. Other good brands include Aqueon, Saki Hikari and New Life Spectrum, so be on the lookout.

Now, the fun part!

One of my favorite aspects of goldfish are their omnivorous ways. A goldfish will eat pretty much anything they can fit in their mouths, and in the wild they eat a variety of natural products, which means you can have a great deal of fun providing them with a good variety of food to suit their needs.

I personally feed my fish a pinch of Aqueon granules and a pair of algae wafers every other day, with a vegetable in between each. This can be green peas (They'll gladly eat a lot more than one), zucchini, lettuce, or whatever I happen to have scraps from. Sometimes I just feed them the trimmings from my java moss with a bit of duckweed, which they seem to enjoy. Once a week they get a treat of frozen bloodworms or lightly poached fish (tilapia or salmon usually.) And once a month, a peeled and chopped section of orange.

Vegatables should be cooked, either by boiling or steaming, until soft enough to be easily penetrated by a fork. This way the goldfish can easily tear off and chew chunks, and the nutrients are freed up for them to digest.

I'm not an expert though; there are plenty around here who are more experienced than me, which I'm reminded of everyday (haha). I've already picked up good advice in the short time I've been here, so I bet you won't have a hard time learning.

Edited by Evening

Thanks buddies for your reply,here we get only 2 types of sinking pellets meant for goldfish one is from tetra and other one is from API.I am using tetra gold Japan.Can I cycle the tank with oranda when using products like Microbacter 7 , Tetra Safe Start or MicrobeLift.I have put my oranda in my new tank with Microbacter 7.

Thanks buddies for your reply,here we get only 2 types of sinking pellets meant for goldfish one is from tetra and other one is from API.I am using tetra gold Japan.Can I cycle the tank with oranda when using products like Microbacter 7 , Tetra Safe Start or MicrobeLift.I have put my oranda in my new tank with Microbacter 7.

Because it sounds like you have a new set up I have a few questions if you don't mind, just so we can make sure you are getting off on the right foot :)

Do you have a water test kit to test your water?

What's your tank size?

What filter are you running? Do you use cartridges?

How often are you changing the water and how much?

Hi tithra,I have a 40 gallon tank.i have a canister filter which has a capacity flow rate 2200 LPH.I have added microbacter 7 ,it's my 4 th day with this oranda and I have 0.25 level of ammonia,no nitrites and no nitrates.Ph is constant at 7.4.I have a API MASTER KIT.As per the instructions on Microbacter 7 for a new aquarium we have to keep adding the dosage for two weeks.I tried fishless cycling for last one month never so nitrites or nitrates got frustrated and used microbacter 7.I want my oranda to with stand the cycling.