black skirted tetras and algae control

Torbe

I have a school of black skirted tetras in a tank that gets a little bit of sun. Not much, but enough to algae growing. I tried a rubber nose pleco and the tetras killed the poor little guy. Any ideas of what type of fish would help with algae control that my tetras wouldn't kill?

Yes, I am pretty sure they did because black skirted tetras can be aggressive. They must be kept in a school because if you have too few, they may kill each other. They are territorial. They are one of the few territorial tetras that I know of. However, because of the fact that I have had to remove fish before because my tetras were picking on them, I am not sure what I can put in there to help with algae. The pleco didn't look like he was being bothered, and he went through quarantine just fine. He was two days in the tank with the black skirted tetras and on the third day I woke up to find him lying dead on the tank floor.

Now I need to look up about black skirts.

What size tank is it, and how many black skirts are there?

Pretty much all schooling fish will be weird when kept in too small of a number, because they cannot establish a proper pecking order. But even then, the aggression stays amongst them. I cannot picture how they would kill a healthy pleco. oO

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang