Sign in to follow this  
bagh

Feeding twice a day. Is this okay? Do they need more?

Previously I used to feed my Orandas four times daily. Now I have changed their schedule.

They wake up with the rising sun at 5am.

First feeding is done at 8:30am.

Second feeding is done at 3:30pm.

They go to sleep with the setting sun at 6pm.

Is this schedule okay?

Thanks. :)

Twice is fine. I usually just feed mine once.

Thank you evening! :)

while small I did several small feeding a day~~~~but now that they are growing good, PRO GOLD in the morning and Reapshy in the evening daily........Sunday is fasting day for all fishies...so NO FOOD, I give them treats of spinach, green bean, citrus, and man are the girls growing.

Obviously it's closer to nature to do small feedings over the day... but not everybody can do that, and it's no big deal if they have only one feeding a day.

When I feed veggies I usually don't break them up, so they have to work to eat it, and that stretches their eating time out to a more natural "Grazing" period. Hard to do with pellets though.

I wouldn't say that it's not a big deal if they only get one meal a day. I would say that it can suffice, but is clearly not ideal. There is no way to deliver sufficient nutrition to goldfish in one meal, given that the lack stomachs and so process food very inefficiently. Large bolus feedings also may lead to constipation and/or other food related issues, such as floatiness.

However, as Evening said, many other circumstances will dictate whether the keeper can be able to feed multiple small meals. Jobs and other obligations tend to make this difficult, if not impossible.

while small I did several small feeding a day~~~~but now that they are growing good, PRO GOLD in the morning and Reapshy in the evening daily........Sunday is fasting day for all fishies...so NO FOOD, I give them treats of spinach, green bean, citrus, and man are the girls growing.

Thank you very much for your reply, Sharkbait. :)

Obviously it's closer to nature to do small feedings over the day... but not everybody can do that, and it's no big deal if they have only one feeding a day.

When I feed veggies I usually don't break them up, so they have to work to eat it, and that stretches their eating time out to a more natural "Grazing" period. Hard to do with pellets though.

Wonderful idea, evening. Thank you! :)

I wouldn't say that it's not a big deal if they only get one meal a day. I would say that it can suffice, but is clearly not ideal. There is no way to deliver sufficient nutrition to goldfish in one meal, given that the lack stomachs and so process food very inefficiently. Large bolus feedings also may lead to constipation and/or other food related issues, such as floatiness.

However, as Evening said, many other circumstances will dictate whether the keeper can be able to feed multiple small meals. Jobs and other obligations tend to make this difficult, if not impossible.

Many many thanks for your great reply, Alex. :)