Sign in to follow this  
cmclien

Eggs in my tank!

I went to feed my GF this morning and there are eggs everywhere on the bottom of the tank. I guess one of them is a girl after all LOL

What do I do to get rid of them? Just a regular water change? My tank is mostly bare, just marbles.

I don't even know how my water could be good enough for spawning as the tank isn't even cycled yet. I have been doing daily water changes, something must have encouraged this.

Hi Cindy,

Yes you can use your water changing hose to get them out, and they will thank you for the extra water change.............. :clapping:

I usually always let the fish eat the eggs, skip feeding for that day, and then perform a big water change.

Sometimes a slight drop in temperature can induce egg laying. So since you are changing your water a lot during cycling, a small drop in temperature could have caused this :)

Well thats the funny thing, since I have to age my water the temp and ph are always identical. Though the tank is upstairs, top floor, and its been so hot here in the midwest that I have had a hard time keeping that floor as cool as the rest of the house even with the AC. There may have been a 3 or 4 degree drop up there. I was barely able to keep it below 80 for a number of days and now that its a little cooler outside its more like 75 or 76 up there.

Hi Cindy,

Yes you can use your water changing hose to get them out, and they will thank you for the extra water change.............. :clapping:

I will probably just do this tonight as my ammonia will be above .5 by then so I will accomplish two things at the same time :)

Plus I bought a new submersible pump yesterday at the hardware store to get my water from the aging bin to the tank which is about 4 feet off the ground. It will give me a chance to try it out :)

Well thats the funny thing, since I have to age my water the temp and ph are always identical. Though the tank is upstairs, top floor, and its been so hot here in the midwest that I have had a hard time keeping that floor as cool as the rest of the house even with the AC. There may have been a 3 or 4 degree drop up there.

3-4 degree drop is plenty enough difference. And I hear you about the temperature, here in S.C. my TAP water comes out at almost 90F right now, even though I am using only cold water. I have to add ice to the tanks during the refill process to keep the temperature as stable as possible.

Well thats the funny thing, since I have to age my water the temp and ph are always identical. Though the tank is upstairs, top floor, and its been so hot here in the midwest that I have had a hard time keeping that floor as cool as the rest of the house even with the AC. There may have been a 3 or 4 degree drop up there.

3-4 degree drop is plenty enough difference. And I hear you about the temperature, here in S.C. my TAP water comes out at almost 90F right now, even though I am using only cold water. I have to add ice to the tanks during the refill process to keep the temperature as stable as possible.

Wow, thats terrible!

Hey, there was a bunch of frothy stuff at the top and white things floating around up there that didn't look like eggs, longer than that. The water looked like a total mess so I did a big water change, is this part of the egg laying process? Do you see that when your GF lay eggs? I only add prime and cycle to my water. Just now I added prime and nothing else with this change.

The cloudiness can come from the male when he is trying to fertilize the eggs. :)

Never seen it in person, but I know that's what they do.

Yeah the fishy sperm (milt) makes the water super messy. That's why water changes are always encouraged if you got some tenacious little breeders :D

Yeah the fishy sperm (milt) makes the water super messy. That's why water changes are always encouraged if you got some tenacious little breeders :D

Well phew, I had no idea what was up with the water, I did about a 90% change. Didn't get it all but got alot of it I think, it was even on the glass. Clearly I know nothing of fish reproduction :yikes

I will do another big change tomorrow, I hope it doesn't happen too often. At least next time I will know whats up. Every week they surprise me with something.

Edited by cmclien