Meet my goldies!

Say hello to my four goldies!

This is Batman, my moor, and my walmart fish. He's the one that started it all! :)

100_0394.jpg

batmanfront.jpg

This is Samus, aka Sammi, my comet. She was bought before we knew much about goldfish, not long after Batman. Luckily for us, and everyone in my tank, she's a big baby and very shy. She loves to hang out in her cave.

100_0531.jpg

100_0397.jpg

This is Sully, my Chinese Ranchu. Look at his wittle chubby cheeks! <3

100_0522.jpg

100_0524.jpg

And, last but certainly not least, this is Bowser. He's my ping-pong pearlscale, and QUITE the character. You can't look at him and not smile.

100_0530.jpg

th_100_0528.jpg

^This is a video, on photobucket...not sure if the link will work.^

• Supporter

aawww bowser is adorable :heart how i looooove a fatso fish :heart :heart

the only advice i have to give for your tank set up is to try and allow enough room between glass and ornaments and between ornaments for the fish to pass through, particularly bowser. bowser will ruin his pearly scales trying to squeeze into everything. pearly scales unlike normal scales do not grow back, once they lose them, they are replaced with normal scales. although losing pearly scales kinda looks weird, it's not unhealthy to the fish.

Haha, thanks! I love chubby fish too. And frowny fish. He really is just a baseball with a head and a tail, lol.

I had read that about pearlscales. I'm planning on doing a tank remodel soon...he just got here yesterday and I wasn't sure how big of a problem things would be for him...now that he's actually here, it's a little easier to see what I actually need to do. I'll be taking out the grey rocks for sure. I was looking at the tank of the month, and I was thinking something like that may be nice.

• Supporter

rhyan's tank is very nice, and you can still have your rocks n all in there, just make sure they're positioned where the fish won't try to squeeze into any gaps. if there is a gap, even a little one, that is an opportunity to explore and forage. goldfish are just big goofballs. they will do anything which will land them into trouble, it's the only thing they're experts at other than scoffing food.. :rofl

oh my lord, Bowser. Ahaha. xD I love, LOVE that kind of pearlscale. I wish you luck with him. <3

All of your fish are great.

Batman, Bowser and Samus sound like videogame/movie names... so where did Sully's come from? c:

holy moly, bowser is something special, can't take my eyes of his tumtum...... :yikes

was he like that when you bought him?

His video is funny.........

Your fish are beautiful! And I can only agree with Helen, make sure there is plenty of room especially for Bowser. Not only can he lose scales, but fish can (sometimes seriously) injure themselves trying to squeeze past/into/underneath big ornaments. Those ornaments are pretty, but in my opinion only something for small fish like tropicals, or in a very very roomy goldfish tank of 90+ gallons.

Either way, Bowser DOES make me smile LOL What a cute fatty! And the others are gorgeous as well :)

Thanks everyone!!! :)

Drowsy, they are ALL videogame names. That's my fiancee's "condition" for me having the fish, is that they have cool names, lol! It's ok, cause we're both nerds. :) Sully is from the "Uncharted" series for PS3.

coco, I know right? He kinda steals the show in the tank. I feel bad, cause I play favorites now. OOPS. (Though he's injured right now, so he's gonna get more TLC anyways. Silly boy squished a couple scales and tore his tail just a bit. It's a work in progress.) He did come chubby like that though. :) Sully and Bowser actually just came in the mail Friday morning from raingarden. They were birthday presents. :)

Oerba, thank you! He's hard not to smile at. I will be rearranging my tank tomorrow probably. The grey rock formation you see in the pictures will be leaving for sure. This tank was a CL find and I got the whole setup, including decor. All my big pieces are from the previous owner, though I've added the 17 zillion plants, lol. I took out a few things I knew would be a pearlscale trap and tried to open it up a little from what it was before (Batman and Sammi are still pretty small, so it wasn't an issue before, and they love swimming through the holes), but without having him here it was really hard to tell exactly what his needs would be. Today was his first full day here, and after some observation, I'm going to take out the grey rock and move things more towards the center so that there's a little racetrack along the outside edges for him. Surprisingly, for his size he maneuvers pretty well and can get up and over things when he has to. The tan cave Sammi is in up there is a big hit. All four of them were in it at one point today, which was pretty funny...Batman was sitting on Bowser's head! As they get bigger though it will have to go. I'm working on looking for new ideas, and hopefully can get this tank remodeled soon!

MissColonel, mine has been here 2 days, and I'm already head over heels in love with him. They are such characters and so much fun to watch! They are 30-60 dollars on raingarden plus shipping, which isn't too bad...they're definitely one of his less expensive varieties. :)

Koko, thank you! Raingarden makes some wonderful fish, I can't take credit for the last two. :) The tank has been an everchanging work in progress for the last 2 and a half months. Today I get to change it again! :)

MissColonel, mine has been here 2 days, and I'm already head over heels in love with him. They are such characters and so much fun to watch! They are 30-60 dollars on raingarden plus shipping, which isn't too bad...they're definitely one of his less expensive varieties. :)

Koko, thank you! Raingarden makes some wonderful fish, I can't take credit for the last two. :) The tank has been an everchanging work in progress for the last 2 and a half months. Today I get to change it again! :)

Too be honest I have been looking at his(Rain Gardens) pearlscales now for about 2 months but I fell in love with my Castor my lionhead lol ;) When I upgrade my tank I am definitely getting one now lol. I just never saw one of his pearlscales before so I held off but seriously I really want one now!

Pretty fish, love your ranchu espcially :)

Can someone explain to me, just uh, just what's under the skin of a pearscale? They make me so nervous like they are going to pop or have the worst dropsy ever. I think they are cool but my fear of their imminent death at all times sort of prevents me from being anything but anxious when I see them.

So what's under there, fat? Air? Big intestines? Secrets? :lol

Gee! What absolutely beautiful fishies! Good luck my friend! :) Thank you so much for sharing!

Edited by bagho

Thanks everyone!!! You all are so nice!

My cat really likes Bowser, yes! :) We though she watched the tank a lot before, but now........lol. He's just a popular guy I guess. He hams it up for his adoring fans. :)

I'm not entirely sure what all is in a pearlscale lol. I think they were just bred that way, and intestines and everything are probably bigger too. I've had to hold him a few times to get pictures of his booboo and he doesn't feel as fragile as you think he would be. Just like a regular fish. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say Bowser's tummy is full of adorable with a dash of mischief. :)

Here's some new pictures, I rearranged my tank this morning. It's much more Bowser friendly. There's an ample little racetrack for him to float around, though he has been very preoccupied with the plants in the left corner for the last hour, lol. AAAAAAAAAND, just because I know how much you guys love them.....THERE'S A VIDEO!

100_0547.jpg

100_0549.jpg

th_100_0554.jpg

According to what I could find the extra mass is just flesh. xD muscle and flesh.

I can't get over Bowser though, lmao. He's so cute.

I hope he heals well, too bad any scales won't grow back the same.

Also I adore the new tank layout. <3

Edited by Drowsy

Haha, with him it's definitely adorableness and mischief. :P

Good to know though. :)

I can't get over him either. I keep leaving our den to stick my head out the door and see what he's doing. He's just so funny!

I hope he heals well too, and I'll love him all the same, even with battle scars. :) Though, it looks like some of the pearl is still there, so maybe it can grow back somehow??? He's been salt dipped and medicated and I did a water change today. Hopefully tomorrow everyone starts eating...nobody has been interested in food yet, too many new things, and it's their first time on gel food for everyone, my original 2 fish included. I don't think they've really figured out it's food yet other than a few experimental mouthfuls on Batman and Sammi's part. Fins crossed!

Haha, with him it's definitely adorableness and mischief. :P

Good to know though. :)

I can't get over him either. I keep leaving our den to stick my head out the door and see what he's doing. He's just so funny!

I hope he heals well too, and I'll love him all the same, even with battle scars. :) Though, it looks like some of the pearl is still there, so maybe it can grow back somehow??? He's been salt dipped and medicated and I did a water change today. Hopefully tomorrow everyone starts eating...nobody has been interested in food yet, too many new things, and it's their first time on gel food for everyone, my original 2 fish included. I don't think they've really figured out it's food yet other than a few experimental mouthfuls on Batman and Sammi's part. Fins crossed!

Injury might just be superficial and not too deep. xD It doesn't sound like it's too bad, to me. Did you make a thread on it or post pictures of it anywhere?