Pearlscale injury...opinions appreciated!

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it's been at .2 since the second day of qt........Do you want it at .3?

Just tested my tap, ammonia is still at 2.00.

And his blister may actually be a little bigger than yesterday, but I'm not sure. Ever since we did his water change tonight though, he's been swimming like crazy!

Active swimming or darting swimming? What are the parameters of his tank? When you get a chance, will you upload a pic or video of Bowser. I'd like to check his blister. Thanks :)

YAY! I peeked in on Bowser today and his blister is MUCH smaller. Not sure if it popped or is just healing, it has kindof a smushed look. He'll get a water change in about an hour and a half when my bf gets home. I'm going to up him to .3% salt today too, to speed it up a little, unless you guys object. He's still on melafix and pimafix, with 1/4 doses of stresscoat daily.

Every time I forget to do a water change or don't have time or whatever, the next morning his blister is magically smaller. I don't understand... :why:

Uploading pictures/video now. They'll be up ASAP.

Video:

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1262.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fii612%2FStarSapphire22%2F100_0631.mp4">

Pictures (sorry they're blurry, he wasn't really wanting to sit still):

100_0641.jpg

100_0638.jpg

100_0637.jpg

100_0635.jpg

100_0634.jpg

100_0632.jpg

Much better! :)

I would up salt to 0.3%, continue Melafix, and stop Pima and Stresscoat.

I wouldn't buy anymore Stresscoat either, unless you just want to support the manufacturer :)

If this blister heals like his last one, he should be healed up in about 2 days, hopefully. I'll start decreasing salt after that...can I just do 2 80% changes over 2 days to acclimate him to non salted water again? I'd like him back in the main tank by Friday, if possible.

Also, is there anything I can do to get rid of the bloom? It's getting ridiculous, it keeps clogging the filter intake and I suck out as much as I can in changes.

• Supporter

depens on the volume of water.. there is much information online from sellers of UV sterilizers. my filters have them inbuilt.. but prior to that i had one powering my 66gal.. i have nothing but crystal clear water. they apparently reduce the possibility of certain parasite infestations and sterilize the water.

there are also discussions for them here on kokos.

• Supporter

can be as simple as plug and play actually.. i had the Jebo one in my 66 gal.. all i had to do was cut the filter intake tube and install it there, then plug it into the electricity socket.

alternatively, eventually, the bloom will settle.. i don't know how long, but it will.

You won't get rid of diatoms by a UV. I had a 24W UV on 100g tank, and while it made the water crystal clear, it did not get rid of brown algae growing on sides. Only the Nerites did that :rofl

Sigh. I just don't know what to do. I scrubbed out every piece I could one day, did a 80% WC, left lights off for 2 weeks, and it still came back. A month or so later, things are covered again. I think nerites look cool, and I'd love my diatoms to be gone, but I don't want eggs everywhere either. IDK which one will bother me more, eggs or diatoms. What if I just get one nerite? Will it lay eggs still? It'd take a while for it to get through all of it, but it'd be gone eventually....

Hm. What about ramshorns?

Also, just took another look at bowser, his blister that seemed healed before may have gotten just a tad bigger again...the one that was next to the worst one. Also, I think he reinjured his tail...the rip is bigger now and there's an angry looking spot on it. Nothing too serious looking, it looks like he maybe snagged it somewhere and ripped it open again. It could just be because of water too...when he swims it bends funny at the rip and water goes through the hole. Will he be safe to put back in the main tank if his tail isn't completely healed?

I'm not so so worried about the tail, but I definitely don't want to put him back unless his blister's healed over. I know you want space for Mr. Betta and because it's a pain, but I would rather he stay here until he's all good again. Let's see what tomorrow will bring, now that salt has been upped :)

Yeah, I know. I'd like space for the betta, but I'll definitely wait for Bowser to heal. I think he's supposed to get here somewhere between wednesday and friday. I can put Caesar in my half gallon betta kit from my last betta, temporarily and just do water changes every day....I'll keep him in my bedroom so it's warmer too, if I have to. It's not ideal, but for a couple days he should be fine, as long as I keep up on maintenance. It's still better than those stupid cups. :veryangry:

Will there be something I need to do between fish?

In terms of the QT?

Depending on how stringent you want to be. Since this is technically a sick tank, I would strip it down and disinfect it, but that would mean that the betta won't have a cycled QT either...

Yep. I mean, obviously I'd take out all the water and I'd rinse off the plant and marbles and fill it up with fresh water. But is there some other process I need to do?? And is there anything I should have on hand for him medication wise? I'm always scared about medications with labyrinth fish.