Sign in to follow this  
StarSapphire22

Pearlscale injury...opinions appreciated!

Holy cow. Ok.

Jamie, Steve told me Sully was a boy...and he's definitely better at sexing goldfish than I am, according to Caesar/Lydia/Batman. :rofl

Stakos, no dropsy! :) But it's good to hear the general consensus on the red streaks is stress. I'm not seeing any of the more severe symptoms you all have mentioned.

Alex, no I forgot AGAIN. Grr, I've been so busy this last week I've been forgetting everything!! As far as medikoi/metro-meds, I'd rather take Jamie's Medikoi (thanks again!) unless someone sees a huge issue with it.Keeping my tanks cycle under control wouldn't be so bad if my tap wasn't so ridiculous. I totally didn't even think about it when I was doing 50-80% water changes daily....gah. Poor Bowser.

Normally, my tap tests at 1.00 for ammonia. I just tested it right now and it came out at 2.00. :o Our local water report says chloramines are in our water at a level of 2.9 ppm, but may range from 2.6-3.3. Nitrite/Nitrate are both at 0.

...My tap water SUCKS.

Wow. That's some ridiculous water you have there! How fast does your cycle process your ammonia? Because one way of doing things is to take water from your main tank to use for WC to the QT, and then fill up the main tank daily.

I don't have any objections to the Medi-Koi, other than what I said earlier. That's why I asked to see what you have on hand.

Hmmmm....that's an interesting thought. What about any ickies (waste, food, etc.) from the main tank going into the qt? I mean it's not like I'd be siphoning sand or anything, and my water isn't filthy or anything, but it's not pristine, I'm sure. It houses goldies after all. :rofl

I usually test my main tank's water the morning after a water change...and then it usually is 0.25-0.5...it consistently tests 0-0.25, but it's primed, so I don't worry about it...occasionally .5 for again around the time it's due for a change I'm not sure when or if it's completely gone due to a cycling process though.

So, this is what I would like for you to do in terms of water changes. It'll actually be to everyone's benefit:

Do your 80% WCs as usual, but use the water from the main tank to refill. This way, the main tank gets new water daily, AND it will start to strengthen to the new ridiculous amount of ammonia. We've actually had other people do this in the past, when their QT was giving them issues.

Hmmmm....that's an interesting thought. What about any ickies (waste, food, etc.) from the main tank going into the qt? I mean it's not like I'd be siphoning sand or anything, and my water isn't filthy or anything, but it's not pristine, I'm sure. It houses goldies after all. :rofl

There should not be any food etc, if you are pulling the water and not siphoning the substrate. I'm not particularly worried about pathogens being in the water, and this way Bowser will get aged water that is relatively toxin free. (Make sure to Prime please, still.)

The reason why I didn't want to move Bowser back into the main tank is because while we've ruled out that it's not dropsy, he is better off alone to de-stress and recuperate, AND on the off chance he is harboring something, he won't pass it to the main tank.

Yes, I'm with Alex on this. The blister probably has some less than favorable bacteria in it, even if Bowser is fighting it off okay I'd be worried about exposing that to the main tank. Plus the other fish could pick at it and overall it's just not a good idea imo.

Ok, so I did a 75% change earlier with tap water, but I just did a 50% change with tank water on Bowser's tank. I primed and salted. And did a 30% change on the main tank while I was at it. They were due for their weekly anyways.

Good.

I'd like to know what the parameters are for the main tank tomorrow is, please. That way we'll get a good idea of how robust the cycle in that tank is :)

Main tank just tested at pH 7.8, Ammonia 0.25, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20. We'd been struggling with high nitrates ever since my cat unplugged my filter for a weekend....just could NOT get it below 40...so it looks like everything is ok in there too, since it's primed.

Not sure why Bowser's pH went down, but it's good he's not in toxic ammonia anymore....and it looks like he cycled?! :o

Let's check again today. The numbers look better though :)

Ok, so tests as of this morning (about 12 hours after the water change):

pH 7.8

Ammonia 0.25

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 20/40, not quite sure. I think 20 though.

Fantastic!

Let's keep with the water going from main to QT for a few days though, since 2.0 ppm is a whopping amount of ammonia.

How is Bowser doing today?

Did another water change with tank water last night, about 80%. His water tested at pH 7.4, Ammonia 0.25, Nitrite 0.25, and Nitrate 10.

Bowser seems to be acting normally, but I don't think the one blister that's left is getting any smaller, and the little piece of pearl that's still attached and inside it looks a little red today. I think I may need to aspirate....what do you guys think? I'm really nervous I'll hurt him. :help:

I think his sides may possibly hurt. When I dropped in his tidy little gel food cubes, he would come at it kindof diagonally and everytime he'd hit his sides on the marbles and just barely brush against it...then he would jerk away like it was a hot stove, even on his uninjured sides. I've also noticed a few of his pearls may be slightly swollen? There's still that one that looks like a cyst almost, there's still that little red bump, and one or two others look bigger than I remember. At this point though, I may just be imagining things. :krazy:

Did you get the Medi-Koi from Jaime?

p.s. I would have shipped it yesterday or today, but, I am sending her some mystery snails with it, and I didn't want to risk them getting stuck in the post office over the weekend.

Jaime, that's perfect timing! By the time it arrives, we will decide if she will benefit from a medicated treatment course.

snails!!! so excited to start my community tank! :)

Well I tried to get pictures...but my camera wouldn't turn on. My boyfriend said he'd look at it in the morning (we work opposite schedules). Hopefully I can get some up soon.

Camera is still not working...but IDK if the bf actually looked at it. It looks suspiciously like it's exactly how I left it. Sigh.

BUT I do have good news! Bowser's remaining blister shrank overnight! :clapping: The redness I saw yesterday is mostly gone, and the blister is about a 1/3 of its size yesterday. :rockon

BUT I do have good news! Bowser's remaining blister shrank overnight! :clapping: The redness I saw yesterday is mostly gone, and the blister is about a 1/3 of its size yesterday. :rockon

Very good. I think he must have heard that I was threatening to medicate him! :rofl :rofl :rofl

How have you been doing your WCs?

50%-80% with water from the main tank, primed and salted to replace what I take out, almost daily (I've missed just a couple days).