Pearlscale injury...opinions appreciated!

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the lack of updates guys! It's been a hectic couple of days. Wasn't able to do the water change Friday night, but did a 80% right away this morning. Continuing with melafix, and the 1/4 dose of stresscoat. Salt still at .2%. Bowser has been eating great! He was attacking his gel food before it even hit the bottom today...lots of pooping going on too. :) His blisters seem to be getting better overall...but I think one might be getting bigger again?? I'm not entirely sure. Also, I noticed one of his scales looks funky today...it's on the other side of his injuries, it's got like a red spot. I tried to include it in the video, hopefully you guys can kindof see it. We added a few more marbles to the tank today, and a plant, so if he wants to hide he can. He can also push it out of the way pretty easily too, so we don't need to worry about him getting stuck anywhere. I figured it would help with the destressing, and slowly get him used to having objects in the tank again in a safe way. Here's tonight's update video. :)

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1262.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fii612%2FStarSapphire22%2F100_0605.mp4">

I'm not sure how comfortable you are doing this but you could always aspirate the blisters by hand. I've found with cysts and blisters that this is the most effective way to handle them when they do not deflate on their own. I'd be worried about the fluid inside them harboring bacteria and then the fish getting septicemia from it. If the blisters last for another week than I'd personally consider aspirating them, and I can give you a walk through if needed, but it's up to you.

They seem to be deflating mostly...I'd rather not do it unless I absolutely have to, I'm really not comfortable with it...if they're still not gone by then, or showing signs of being gone very soon, I guess I'll do it then.

Ok, so all but the one blister looks to be gone now...not sure if it's actually getting bigger, or if it looks bigger because there's nothing to compare it to. The blisters were originally in a triangle. The top point was the least severe and healed up a few days ago. The left point's blister seems to be gone, and it looks like the scale may be recalcifying?! The right blister is now the one I'm concerned about. It's still pretty big.

Bowser is eating like a champ. The algae bloom in my tank from cycling (just that icky kinda fluffy whitish algae that floats around and gets stuck everywhere) is still going strong. Bowser's been a little floaty for the last 24 hours. He's been at the top a lot, with his dorsal sticking out of the water, but he can swim down and around if he wants to, he just seems to go up there every now and then and if he stops moving, then he floats upwards.

I've also noticed little black spots on his right front fin. I noticed them a few days ago, but thought he had gel food or something on his fin and then forgot to look for them again. They are still there today. It shouldn't be ammonia poisoning...my tank gets a double dose of prime daily. Any thoughts on what it might be?

I'll post water test results and pictures when I get home from work tonight.

If the black spots are just now there, it could have been from a little while back. Don't forget he spent 48 hours in a bag. There is a possibility of metacercarial disease, but let's wait for pics.

As for the floatiness, could you post the ingredients of your gel again. It may be something in there that is causing him to produce a tad excess gas. We'll need to examine if the ingredients need to be tweaked, or if he just needs to eat less.

For floatiness I always fast 24 hours, then feed bloodworms. I know it sounds silly but it works! If his dorsal is sticking out of the water it might need vaseline to keep it from drying out which will make infections and ulcers more possible as they go hand in hand with floatiness. Also pearlies digest better in slightly warmer water, so if your tank is chilly a heater on low would be something to consider, especially for the winter months.

Guys I am so sorry! I came home sick from work yesterday, and pretty much just passed out.

I just did a 75% water change on bowsers tank, and did a test. The results are....well, my tank is definitely cycling, even with an established filter on it.

pH: 7.8

Ammonia: 4.00 (NEVER had this high in...EVER)...maybe 3? It&#39;s just a little lighter than 4.00 on the chart, but the same tone...not a 2 though.

Nitrite: &lt;.25

Nitrate: 0

Tank is currently salted at .2%, with a double dose of prime (tap has high chloramines), a dose of melafix, a dose of pimafix (just started that today, for the 2 redspots he has), and a 1/2 teaspoon of stresscoat. There's a definite algae bloom too...white-ish flufy algae everywhere...I have to rinse out the strainer on my filter intake daily.

Bowser is still a little floaty, but better than before. Gel food recipe is:

1 cup API pellets

1/2 cup Hikari daphnia

1/4 cup Nutrafin spirulina flakes

2 sheets of Sally&#39;s Seaweed Salad (Natural dried poryphyra yezoensis seaweed)

1 cup romaine lettuce

1 cup kale

1 cup spinach

4 containers of Gerber Garden Vegetables baby food (carrots, peas, water, spinach)

2 containers of Gerber Squash baby food (squash, water)

3 tbsp canned pumpkin (100% natural pumpkin)

1 tablespoon minced garlic (organic garlic, water)

1 tsp basil (organic basil, water)

unflavored gelatin

I soaked the pellets, daphnia, spirulina flakes, and ripped up pieces of seaweed in 2 cups of water for about 45 minutes, then added it to the other ingredients that had been chopped and mixed up, and pureed it all together and set it with gelatin. We don't have the agar agar locally.

Promised photo/vid from yesterday are uploading. They'll be up soon. I'll try and get pictures of the red spots and black streaks too.

Should I add more prime to the tank to help with the ammonia? Anything else I should get? The bf is going to the store soon, he can pick up stuff if I need it.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1262.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fii612%2FStarSapphire22%2F100_0610.mp4">

100_0613.jpg

WC will help with the ammonia and you really need to get that down. Prime can only do so much, it can protect them for 24hrs up to 1ppm. Does maybe your tap have ammonia? And what are your readings after the WC?

For the floatyness you can try using agar instead of gelatin ;)

Gosh he is sooooo stinkin cute :wub:

Like I said, I just did a 75% water change, my tap has high chloramines (reads 1.00), readings are after the change, and agaragar isn't available locally.

I just did a 75% water change on bowsers tank, and did a test...with a double dose of prime (tap has high chloramines)...We don't have the agar agar locally.

Ok, looks like the black on his fin is mostly gone. He does seem to be missing a couple small pieces at the edge of that one though. I tried really hard for a picture, but he's just too wiggly, and they're too little and my camera sucks.

I did get some ok pictures of the redspots. One looks just like a little red speck, which is how the other one started. The first one looks almost cyst like...he looks like a teenager breaking out. So far, just these two.

100_0617.jpg

100_0616.jpg

100_0614.jpg

I also just noticed he may have a blister on his back left fin (sorry, don't know the proper name). It's too tiny, and he's too wiggly, and my camera's too crappy to get a pic. AGAIN. It looks just like the other ones he has, but back there, and very small. I have never noticed it or any injury there before.

He has so many issues I don't even know where to start. I'm so overwhelmed, and as much as I love Bowser and I think he's stinking adorable, I guess I didn't realize how hard pearlscales are to take care of. Maybe I just wasn't ready for him. I feel so bad because he's suffering and in a cycling tank and it's my fault. :(

If that QT tank is cycling, honestly, I would put him back into the cycled 75 gallon tank as soon as you can. His blisters are healing just fine. The red in his fins can be from the stress caused by the ammonia.The salt in the main tank won't hurt your other fish... but, the cycling QT tank is definitely no good for a fish. I don't have as much experience here as a LOT of ppl here, but, I would bring the salt up in the main tank, then put bowser back over there- when the nitrites hit, you could end up with dropsy. My sweet boy Harry came to my home with dropsy due to being in a tank with 3ppm nitrites for an undetermined amount of time. It's sometimes curable, but, rough on them... and you don't want him to go through it. Septicemia pobably isn't the case, unless he has big red blotches under his skin, and large red streaks & patches in his fins. Keep an eye on that, though. I'll send you some medikoi with your snails next week... make a gel food with it if you need it, otherwise, just store it in the freezer. Medikoi is good for bacterial septicemia, if that is what you have starting. Keep seeding the cycling tank- if you put fish food in there, it should do it... or, if you happen to buy raw shrimp with your groceries to make for dinner, you can drop one of those into the tank, and it will also do the trick. My opinion is that a cycling tank is much worse off for Bowser while recovering from the surface wounds than being back in the main tank with the other fish... someone please chime in if you disagree. Hope Bowser feels better soon!

On another note- are you POSITIVE Sully is a boy? Sometimes a way to tell males from females with goldies is to look at them from above, where the lady fish look more thick in the middle than the manly fish do. Obviously, this doesn't work too much with the ping pong shape- but, Tater Tot, my female lionhead definitely looks rounder and thicker in the tummy from above than Ham Bone, my male lionhead. It can be hard to tell, sometimes, as tubercles aren't too visible through wens... looking at their thickness through the middle from above is another way to try to guess, until you see them trying to spawn. ;)

• Supporter

If that QT tank is cycling, honestly, I would put him back into the cycled 75 gallon tank as soon as you can. His blisters are healing just fine. The red in his fins can be from the stress caused by the ammonia.The salt in the main tank won't hurt your other fish... but, the cycling QT tank is definitely no good for a fish. I don't have as much experience here as a LOT of ppl here, but, I would bring the salt up in the main tank, then put bowser back over there- when the nitrites hit, you could end up with dropsy. My sweet boy Harry came to my home with dropsy due to being in a tank with 3ppm nitrites for an undetermined amount of time. It's sometimes curable, but, rough on them... and you don't want him to go through it. Septicemia pobably isn't the case, unless he has big red blotches under his skin, and large red streaks & patches in his fins. Keep an eye on that, though. I'll send you some medikoi with your snails next week... make a gel food with it if you need it, otherwise, just store it in the freezer. Medikoi is good for bacterial septicemia, if that is what you have starting. Keep seeding the cycling tank- if you put fish food in there, it should do it... or, if you happen to buy raw shrimp with your groceries to make for dinner, you can drop one of those into the tank, and it will also do the trick. My opinion is that a cycling tank is much worse off for Bowser while recovering from the surface wounds than being back in the main tank with the other fish... someone please chime in if you disagree. Hope Bowser feels better soon!

good intentions :)

i have not read back for the past few days to a week here. so what i am about to say may or may not be relevant. i do not know if it's been determined if this fish was or was not a dropsy victim. but, if it was, then aquarium salt will not be good for the fish. agreed, nothing is better than a cycled tank, but if the main has aquarium salt in it, i would based on personal experience with my own fish not expose a dropsy victim to aquarium salt ever once the fish has displayed dropsy. other members have made this mistake in the past as have i.

red streaks in tail/fins in some fish is normal.. in others is just a sign of stress.. pale to dark smears to blotches under the surface of the skin or around wounds that are open or healing ring warning bells for bacteria. if there are no smears or darkening, then the streaks are most likely simple stress indicators that can be resolved with daily water changes in it's current qt to relieve toxins or other negative influences. particularly in pearlscale dropsy fish as they blister and as blisters break, they need to be isolated for possible spread of bacteria in the water due to this. the mediacted food you metion, i cannot comment as i have no experience in it due to the fact that i have no access to it.

I do disagree, and very strongly.

A proper QT tank should never be left to cycle, and water should be changed daily so that there is NO ammonia or nitrite beyond what small amounts that could accumulate in 24 hours. It is my habit to QT my fish in tanks that are not cycled and do daily water changes. You could even ask Steven Hopkins on this, as he is also of the same mind. A QT is a tank that is big enough (10 gallons) so that there is no accumulation of toxic ammonia or nitrite and whose water gets changed 100% daily. For the small amounts of ammonia that might be produced, Prime is there. For nitrites, there is both salt & Prime.

I am also not an advocate of throwing a fish back into the main tank simply because you have any uncycled QT. It is your responsibility to keep tank parameters at great levels, and it something that we put big emphasis on here. It is NEVER OK to send a sick fish back into the main tank, however slight you perceive the problem to be.

Did you ever order the Metro-Meds, StarSapphire?

Jamie, while Medikoi is quite good, I think I like Metro-Meds better, because it is a tad gentler than the Medikoi/Medi-Gold.

Her tap water is heavily dosed with chloramines, so she has an out of tap reading at 1ppm... constantly. She can't get the ammonia below that, due to this. Should she throw a bubbler in, and and keep constantly dosing with prime, since the tank isn't cycled, and ammonia will only continue to build, and not drop to a level anywhere near safe?

RE: the medikoi- I just have that one, as it is what is available to me locally, and it will do the trick. Jess (Star) and I know eachother from another forum (I recommended her here for expert goldie advice, since the other forum doesn't tend to have it too often.) Since she's just getting started out, and funds are tight- I was just going to send her some of mine, so it would be one less expense for her- I have a ton of the stuff, and its a good thing to have a medicated food in the emergency kit. ;)

Jess,

Could you please post your tap parameters again, as well as exactly how much chloramine you are getting in the tap?

Jamie, I did figure that you are the one from the other forum. Welcome! :)

good intentions :)

i have not read back for the past few days to a week here. so what i am about to say may or may not be relevant. i do not know if it's been determined if this fish was or was not a dropsy victim. but, if it was, then aquarium salt will not be good for the fish. agreed, nothing is better than a cycled tank, but if the main has aquarium salt in it, i would based on personal experience with my own fish not expose a dropsy victim to aquarium salt ever once the fish has displayed dropsy. other members have made this mistake in the past as have i.

red streaks in tail/fins in some fish is normal.. in others is just a sign of stress.. pale to dark smears to blotches under the surface of the skin or around wounds that are open or healing ring warning bells for bacteria. if there are no smears or darkening, then the streaks are most likely simple stress indicators that can be resolved with daily water changes in it's current qt to relieve toxins or other negative influences. particularly in pearlscale dropsy fish as they blister and as blisters break, they need to be isolated for possible spread of bacteria in the water due to this. the mediacted food you metion, i cannot comment as i have no experience in it due to the fact that i have no access to it.

I think they decided it is not dropsy, just boo boos that are healing- and NOOOO, no salt for a fish who is dropsied. Clean water, medicated food, and epsom salt soaks... I'm sure there are a bunch of other methods I am not familiar with, as well. I'm so not highly experienced. I've only treated Harry, who is a fantail.

Her main tank is not currently salted, she's using salt in the QT for Bowser to medicate him for the blisters. I have ZERO experience with pearlscales period, much less ones with blisters, so, I really think you're better off taking advice from the people with experience with them, Jess. You're in good hands here. :D

Alex, those last three are recent as of a few hours ago. Is there something specific you'd like me to attempt to get a shot of? I'll do what I can, but my camera is pretty crappy and Bowser's a wiggly little guy.

Thanks Jamie. You're the best as always. :) Switching him back over was a thought I had too, but I'm worried he will pop the big blister somehow. I'd also like to continue his medications...will I be able to do that in the main tank? Melafix, Pimafix, and Stresscoat are all pretty natural I think. How much salt would I need? Anyone else have opinions on switching him back over?