Sign in to follow this  
StarSapphire22

Pearlscale injury...opinions appreciated!

I do know that the pearlscales are different than normals scales. Im wondering if the little one just messed up the scales and the bubbles are like a healing process. Now I havent ever own one, but I been around enough of them.. :)

:twocents

Concerning dropsy in pearlscales, wouldn't the bubbles be coming in between scales rather than on top? I mean the fluid would be erupting from within the fish and so it doesn't make sense for these bubbles to be coming on top superficially.

I want to say that the bubbles you're seeing are like blisters, membrane that got irritated and to further cushion or protect the skin formed those pockets as a kind of callus.

I don't know for sure, just throwing an idea out there.

Concerning dropsy in pearlscales, wouldn't the bubbles be coming in between scales rather than on top? I mean the fluid would be erupting from within the fish and so it doesn't make sense for these bubbles to be coming on top superficially.

I want to say that the bubbles you're seeing are like blisters, membrane that got irritated and to further cushion or protect the skin formed those pockets as a kind of callus.

The pearlscale dropsy symptoms you see are also blisters.

In any case, this does not at the moment look to be dropsy, but I would like to be prepared for the worst.

As Alex said, the bubbles are blisters, in both this pearlscales case and in the case of pearlscales who exhibit blisters as a symptom of dropsy (a symptom of a symptom, haha) In pearlies with dropsy the blisters typically appear scattered, and look exactly like the ones displayed in this case; but these are grouped at the site of injury which makes it more likely that this is due to the injury rather than dropsy. But the blisters in both cases look nearly identical from what I've seen.

Ok. Thanks for the input everyone. I just got home, and I'm setting up the 10 gallon now. I put a few glass marbles in the bottom for him to push around at least, so he's not completely bored. I'm just about to add water, with prime obviously...should I add the canning salt right away? And what about the epsom? Should I add melafix or stress coat or anything as well? I added melafix to the tank today, and if it's not dropsy, I'll continue with the medication....but should I dose the 10 gallon, since there won't be any melafix in there from the start? Or just wait until morning for day 4? Should I put in the heater?

OK. How does Bowser look today? Are there more or fewer blisters? What about the sizes of the blisters?

I am inclined to salt to 0.2%, and perhaps Melafix. Nothing else.

No.

For the purposes of treating dropsy, we want to use the heater to increase the metabolism of the meds. Otherwise, the heat will actually help the bacteria grow faster, which we do not want.

As for Epsom, I don't think that it's necessary right now. I would like to just concentrate on fixing the wounds only.

K. I haven't had a chance to look at him much today. I'll give updates on him in a bit.

How much salt should I add for ten gallons?

0.1% = 1 level teaspoon per gallon. I would assume 9 galllons of water. So that would be 18 level teaspoons salt, or 6 level tablespoons for 0.2% :)

Edit: 9 teaspoons now, 9 12 hours later.

Ok, so the video upload is taking foreverrrrrrrrr. I'll give you a summary and put up pics/vid in a few hours.

Bowser was put in quarantine tonight. Salt is at .1%, will up to .2% in about 10 hours. I put a full dose of melafix in the tank, and 1/2 teaspoon of stresscoat (1/4 dose) just for a little extra boost. I also applied the antibiotic ointment to the blisters and the rip in his tail, and that definitely took off some slime coat. Blisters look the same as yesterday, MAYBE slightly smaller. The rip in his tail is very red today, but looks like it's fusing back up. He seems to be alert and acting like normal. He's had the lights off all day except for feeding and to take pictures tonight...no more than 10-15 minutes total.

Pictures and video soon. Fins crossed for a speedy recovery.

When should I change his water and how much?

I would like for you to change about 50% of the water daily (more is better), taking care to match temp & pH, and to replace the amount of salt taken out with water change.

Don't worry about water changes being too much. As long as you maintain similar conditions, the pristine water is a great healer in itself.

Check parameters daily for a few days to make sure that all parameters are good (0 essentially except for nitrates.)

Has he eaten anything yet?

How can I change ph so that it matches if it doesn't? And my tap water doesn't get as cold as the tank...it's coldest is about 76 and the tank runs at 72.

I'll test parameters daily...I put a reseeded filter (it's been running on the 75 for about 3 weeks now, and had some safestart added to it at start up, so it should be pretty well colonized) on the tank, but will I have a mini cycle since it's a completely new tank?

He hasn't eaten anything yet that I've seen, but it's possible he ate pellets off the sand while I was at work. I'll try feeding him seaweed tomorrow I think...he's used to a lot of veggies like that from raingarden, and it's easy to track if he is eating.

Here's the pictures and the vid. Apparently 30% takes an hour, but 70% takes 10 minutes. Darn technology....

Sorry the pics aren't good, he wouldn't stay still...vid should help. :)

100_0565.jpg

100_0563.jpg

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1262.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fii612%2FStarSapphire22%2F100_0566.mp4">

Edited by dnalex
Embed video

Thank you for the video! That's exactly what I wanted to see. :)

He looks great, and I bet you he's been foraging for food while you weren't looking. He's very active and healthy looking actually, except for the two places that need some work.

I'm not so worried about those blisters anymore, because I think that this is just part of the healing and not the dreaded dropsy blisters.

A difference of a couple of degrees when doing WC is totally fine. Also, it's always the downshift in pH and temps that are problematic. Slight upswings are not too big of a deal.

If you find that there is a bigger than 0.5 pH difference between tank and tap, we will need to adjust it, either by aging the water, or adding baking soda. I'd have to know which values are which before knowing how to make the proper adjustment and which method to use.

I am still very glad that you ordered Metro-Meds and have Epsom on hand. Those are extremely important reagents, and it's so critical to have on hand. Sometimes a couple of days earlier in treatment makes a difference between life and death.

OH SHOOT! I knew I forgot something...I didn't order the metro meds! WAHHHHH. I'll do it in the morning.

YAY! No dropsy. I hope he's been foraging. He's gotta stay fat, after all. :) We'll see how he does tomorrow. Do you still want me to up to .2% salt in the morning? I'm worried it will make him floaty.

How did you embed the video??

Yes, I would like for you to up the salt to 0.2%. This should not make him floaty at all.

As for embedding, what you do is copy the HTML code, paste it in the text box. Then, make sure that HTML is on, with auto line break. If you don't see anywhere with these choices in the reply box, click for more options, and you will see it :)

I just add the other 9 teaspoons while he's in there?

No. Always dissolve the salt first and then add it to the tank. Make sure you match temps as well :)

He looks really good in that vid! I hope he continues to mend.

The blisters look a little smaller too. :)

Ok. I'll add the rest when I get home and do his water change. He is looking a little better, I am so excited! I think he's feeling all the good vibes you guys are sending him. :)

Today's Update:

BOWSER ATE!!!!! I ripped up a 1 inch by 1 inch square of seaweed, and dropped it in and let it float around before work. When I came home, I didn't see much left and I checked inside the filter and didn't see any there...then lo and behold about 15 minutes ago, I got proof!!!!!

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1262.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fii612%2FStarSapphire22%2F100_0570.mp4">

Here is a video of him from this morning. The blisters seem to be getting slowly smaller. They might even be smaller now than they are in this vid. He seems to be healing up and is acting pretty alert and perky still.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1262.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fii612%2FStarSapphire22%2F100_0567.mp4">

I did the water change today...50%. I'll keep doing them daily. He has 2 days left on his melafix course. Just tested the water...looks like I'm going through a mini cycle. pH is 7.4, Ammonia is .5 (though it's primed, and should be safe), Nitrite and Nitrate are both 0. :no:

Edited by StarSapphire22

Woot! Now you are finally a true Kokonut, distinguishable from the rest from his/her pronounced excitement over goldfish poop! :rofl

He does seem to be doing really well over all. The bump in the cycle is an annoyance, but as long as pH is at 7.4, water is Primed, and you are doing daily WCs, this should not be a problem. I don't intend to keep him in QT for too long, but I think for now it's good for him to recuperate, AND to be trained to eat the foods you want him to. :)

Hahaha, I ran screaming into the kitchen "BOWSERS POOPING!!!!!!!! BOWSERS POOPINGGGGGGGGG!!!! My boyfriend just looked at me like wth is wrong with you........

I think he'll be healed within a week...And yeah I'll keep up on the water changes and prime...I'm more worried about if I get a nitrite spike. I agree, though, I think qt is gonna be really good for him. I'm going to try him on the gel food tomorrow I think. The other fish too, maybe.

I just feel bad he's in such a boring tank, lol. I do kind of like the marble bottom look though. No way am I ever changing from sand though...it'd just be too much of a pain.

Should I continue with the melafix after the seven days is up? My bottle's almost empty, should I just go until I run out?