Pearlscale injury...opinions appreciated!

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah those dont look too bad, although I'd guess he'll lose those pearls altogether. In this situation I would consider QTing and salting at .01%because pearles can go downhill so fast. Id be concerned about secondary infection once they burst. Upon bursting you can swab with iodine to be safe.

OK. I would like to hear from other members who have had pearlies, or experience with them.

Those bubbles normally would be indicative that the fish is dropsy-ing. However, because it's at the location of the injury, I'm not sure what to make of it.

What I would like to suggest, in the event of a possible dropsy, is the following:

1. Do you have any means to QT? This will become important if the fish needs treatment.

2. We will also need Epsom salt (foot bath kind), a heater, and Metro-Meds from goldfishconnection.com, or metronidazole powder to be made into food, or add to water.

The thing that is a bit complicating is that he doesn't want to eat right now.

Edit: just saw your post, PSP.

I'm ok with losing pearls, I just want him to live. :(

I have a 10 gallon that's been sitting mostly empty with damp gravel for the last week...I have shrimp coming next week for the start of my community tank that are going in there though. I could see if I could make a run to petco or walmart or something and get another 10 gallon for qt purposes. I really should have one....the boyfriend won't be happy about paying for another 10 gallon setup though...but we definitely need one ASAP is what you guys are saying?

I think top one has already burst...you can kindof see it in the pictures. He seems just fine though. Should I be continuing with the melafix?

Yes, Melafix is fine :)

A very viable option to QT is to use a Sterilite plastic tub that is about 10 gallons. You can buy this from Walmart etc. for under $10. Having a filter is best, but you could do without. You will need an airstone. For these QT purposes, daily large volume water changes (sometimes 100%) is best, so that's why it's not crucial to have a cycled filter.

The advantage to moving him to a QT is that you can monitor if he's eaten or not, as well.

I would stop the melafix (but I am generally distrustful of it) and proceed with a QT tank and a low salting regime. I've had pearlies with injuries develop isolated reactions like this and it is essential to keep them as clean as possible. In the event that more show up id be prepared for dropsy to follow, however seeing as its only three scales I wouldn't worry just yet. So yes id get a ten gal, salt it to .01% and as soon as thos blisters pop id swab them with iodine. If he's still floaty id also switch over to frozen foods, tikus tend to do poorly on pellets and frozen bloodworms are anawesome food for them, it has helped many a floater in my experience with these guys. (I apologized for any typos as I'm on my phone)

Sent an email to Steve.

I will see if I can get a barebones 10 gallon setup going. A plastic tub wouldn't do well with my cat....especially if it's bowser that's in it. He's her favorite.

I do have a cycled filter, it's been hanging out on my tank until I'm ready to set up my ten gallon I already have. Will I need an airstone in addition to that?

Why Epsom salt and not aquarium salt? And what if I can't get the metro-meds here in time?

Should I use iodine or the triple-antibiotic ointments for the pops?

To melafix or not to melafix?

Edited by StarSapphire22

Sent an email to Steve.

Great! :)

I would like to hear what he has to say.

I will see if I can get a barebones 10 gallon setup going. A plastic tub wouldn't do well with my cat....especially if it's bowser that's in it. He's her favorite.

Gotcha!

I do have a cycled filter, it's been hanging out on my tank until I'm ready to set up my ten gallon I already have. Will I need an airstone in addition to that?

If you have a cycled filter, I don't think that airstone is necessary. You could just lower the water level to create more splash if, needed.

Why Epsom salt and not aquarium salt? And what if I can't get the metro-meds here in time?

Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate, which is a laxative. It helps to expel fluids and reduce swellings. Aquarium salt, or sodium chloride, may have the opposite effect at higher concentrations (> 0.1%).

Metro-Meds is the gold standard for treatment, but other options are available. The active ingredient you need is metronidazole, and depending on where you are, you can get metronidazole powder at your LFS. Rick from Goldfish Connection ships out extremely fast.

I'm more in favor of the triple-antibiotic ointment. Iodine/HP will kill the surrounding healthy tissues as well. If you want to use iodine, use once.

To melafix or not to melafix?

Up to you. :)

Sent an email to Steve.

Great! :)

I would like to hear what he has to say.

I'll copy and paste it when I get it. I feel bad for asking him all these questions, I'm pretty sure he hates me by now, lol.

Gotcha!

If you have a cycled filter, I don't think that airstone is necessary. You could just lower the water level to create more splash if, needed.

Understood!

Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate, which is a laxative. It helps to expel fluids and reduce swellings. Aquarium salt, or sodium chloride, may have the opposite effect at higher concentrations (> 0.1%). So am I adding epsom salt at .1% or the aquarium salt? One or both?

Metro-Meds is the gold standard for treatment, but other options are available. The active ingredient you need is metronidazole, and depending on where you are, you can get metronidazole powder at your LFS. Rick from Goldfish Connection ships out extremely fast. Great. I'll talk it over with my boyfriend and put in an order ASAP. Thank god we had a little extra money this paycheck.....

I'm more in favor of the triple-antibiotic ointment. Iodine/HP will kill the surrounding healthy tissues as well. If you want to use iodine, use once.

I'll use the ointment then.

To melafix or not to melafix.

Up to you. :)

I'll make tomorrow his last dose, then do a dose of stress coat on Wednesday. His tail needs the most tissue help right now, and that should help it get on track to heal up on its own fairly quickly. Plus I think my bottles almost empty anyways.

Epsom salt is use only at 1/4 teaspoons per 10 gallons. It's a very small amount. :)

We have quite a bit of experience treating dropsy, so that's not a concern here. I am just trying to decide if this is a dropsy case or not. It has some hallmarks of dropsy, such as the bubbles, but I am not sure just yet. The best thing to do is just to get things going, so that we are not caught unprepared.

You can use it with low dose salt. Let's see how the scales are tomorrow before adding salt to the mix.

Shopping list:

1. Epsom salt. Foot bath section of pharmacy. 100% magnesium sulfate/heptasulfate/something sulfate lol.

2. Salt without additives. Instead of getting expensive aquarium salt where you are being overcharged, you can get Morton's Canning & Pickling salt. It's 4 pounds for less than $2.

3. Order Metro-Meds.

4. Check with LFS to see if they have metronidazole powder.

5. Set up QT. That is it, I believe. :)

K, I'll get it done today (of course this happens on the most important day of my job yet, AGHHHHHHH).

Response from Steve:

HI Jessica,

The red ring does not look threatening but I don't know what that bubble is and can't see the photo very well. You can put some hydrogen peroxide (3%) on a cotton swab and sort of flick it off to clean things up a bit. By now he may be freaked out by all the fussing and handling so don't over-do the attention. It's not dropsy.

It looks very bright in there. If they are hiding most of the time you might want to try turning the lights off for now.

They will eat when they are ready. Most problems are caused by over-feeding and water changes fix most problems.

Keep me posted please.

-steve

Your job comes first, OK?

Bowser is not in any immediate danger, and you have a plan. :)

I've actually been meaning to suggest about the darkened place for him to de-stress. The QT is the perfect opportunity, plus it allows you to do a lot of WCs, which is another point I agree with Steve.

So, let's get him his own tank for a bit, and go from there.

I've been in training for 3 months for a new account my company landed, tomorrow is launch. :kickbutt

I've had lights off for the most part, unless I'm viewing the tank or taking pictures. I turn on surrounding lights in the room for pictures. Hopefully qt will help him out...we're going to get this tank kit from walmart, plus a 50W heater. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aquaculture-Starter-Kit-10-Home-Aquarium-1-ct/10312734 It's the 10 gallon we have now. I'd like to upgrade the filter, but it does its job. It's no aquaclear though. Maybe we'll throw some glass marbles in the bottom for him to nose around and a couple weighted plants too.

It's really reassuring it's not dropsy though...do I still need to order the metro meds and do I still need the epsom salt?

I would get them if you can. They are both essentials in the first aid tool kit. As long as you don't open the Metro-Meds, it should keep for about a year. Actually the meds should last much longer. It's the food part that will go off after some time :)

Congrats on the account! Best wishes on the first day! :)

Ok, so today I'll try feeding pellets again. Seemed to have the best luck with that.

After feeding, lights will be off for the rest of the day, unless I need pictures or something.

Mission: Leave Bowser Alone starts in 3...2...1...

....sigh. :bye2:

SULLY ATE PELLETS!!!!!! SULLY ATE PELLETS!!!!!!!!!!!!! He got 2 as they were falling and happily started searching the sand for the ones he missed! :D

Bowser didn't eat....he ran away from my hand, I think he thought it was picture time. But I left a few pellets in the sand at his favorite spots, so hopefully he finds them.