Sign in to follow this  
StarSapphire22

Pearlscale injury...opinions appreciated!

I just looked, I don't have any. He seems to be doing pretty well though, he's pretty perky today and doing all sorts of silly things. I thought he'd be pretty stressed today, but he seems to be taking it in stride. :)

When I got home though, all 3 of my other fish were hanging out in the corner, either bottom sitting or within an inch of the bottom, not being too active. It is getting late though, so they may just be winding down for the night. It's been a stressful day for everyone, between a 30% water change, upped filter flow (to help compensate for the melafix and create some more surface movement), a tank remodel, and meds being added to the tank. Hopefully they perk up in the morning, and hopefully I can get some food in their bellies. :)

Yes, I saw the pics of your beautiful fish! :)

Let me know how everyone does tomorrow, please. I agree that they have had a stressful day, and was likely to just be winding down :)

Will do. They just got up to swim lazily around, I think they're just tired and hanging out. I'll post updates in about 12-13 hours from now, unless some weird emergency happens.

Well, Bowser is pooping for the first time (that I have seen) and he has a long, very thing string...like a strand of hair thin. It's white with clear patches. He hasn't eaten anything since he got here Friday, other than any yummies he may have found in my sand. No one has been interested in the gel food yet. :madrant

Isn't this usually a sign of bacterial infection? None of my other fish have had poop like this, so (for now at least) whatever it is is only affecting Bowser. Will the melafix help this? Or could it just be because he hasn't eaten like...anything, in almost a week, between purging at RG and here? He was quarantined and checked for parasites at RG before shipping.

I do not think that this is an internal infection and more stress/starvation poop. He was fasted for a couple days at least before shipping and hasn't eaten, so there isn't much content wise that he can poop out. Usually, thin stringy poop should be accompanied by others indicators for us to want to intervene in terms of treatment.

Have you tried to feed him since arrival and he has refused food? It's actually good for him not to be fed for a couple of days post arrival, and then fed :)

I've tried to feed all four of my fish and they won't eat it. Batman and Sammi gave it a few nibbles, but they were more interested in other things. I don't think they really know what gel food is. I tried feeding them Friday and Saturday, Batman and Sammi had maybe a bite or two each day. I didn't try today because I forgot to do it pre-water change. OOPS. I'll try again tomorrow though...starvation is the best seasoning right? Maybe they'll finally give the gel a try.

What pellet food do you use? I am just concerned that the RG ones haven't eaten for nearly a week, and that is about the limit for for twin tail goldfish.

Api pellets. Steve at rg said he fed veggies almost exclusively though...should I maybe put something in the veggie clip?

I tried the pellets, and my moor and comet definitely got their fair share (fatties....)....they know the pellet drill. The ranchu I think snagged a couple off the sand that they missed, he looked like he was chewing for a bit. Bowser however....BOWSER of COURSE....I dropped like 20 pellets in front of his face, one by one....hoping he could snag just one. NOPE. He didn't get any. I'd drop it and he'd turn around and it would hit his tail and he wouldn't see it, or he didn't see it fast enough, and couldn't find it on the sand. There's a bunch of pellets lying around on the sand now...normally I'd stick the turkey baster in the tank and get em out, but I'm hoping Bowser and Sully will find some of them. Should I put a veggie clip in still?

If it gets to the point where you are worried about him starving you can isolate him in a bucket and try an extremely inciting food like blood worms or pellets soaked in garlic, the bucket can let you monitor how much he's eating to ensure he's getting food into his system. Soaking the food in garlic-y water has always worked for me, so perhaps it could be worth a try?

No dice. Neither the ranchu or the pearlscale were interested. :blowup:

I'm going to put some seaweed on a clip and see if that helps.

no one is interested in it....not even batman and sammi, and the go crazy for seaweed. I don't understand what i'm doing wrong. :(

Just wondering whats the ph out of your tap?

Do you have any Peas, Spinach?

You're not doing anything wrong. Sometimes they need a little coaxing.

There are two things I would like for you to do:

1. Call or email Steve and tell him they are not eating. Ask him how best to introduce food to his fish, since these are new fish.

2. Get some garlic juice and some frozen blood worms. Soak some worms in the in garlic juice for a minutes, and then try. They will learn :)

I emailed Steve a few days ago, and he said, "They will eat when they get ready and will not starve. The important thing right now is to maintain pristine water quality which includes large and frequent water changes. Feeding will only degrade the water quality so feed very sparingly, if at all." I tried the pellets in garlic juice already...why are bloodworms different?

A member on my other forum recommended peas. Would this be a good option? I'm starting to doubt them as they're saying I'm overreacting and it's fine that my fish haven't eaten in a week...I just don't know anymore. I'm so freaking stressed and worried.

As far as his injury goes, it looks like he's healing pretty well. I don't see red anymore, and his tail is already starting to fuse back up. The pulled scales are very white, with a bubble growing over them. It's kind of hard to explain and he won't sit still enough for a picture and I'm trying to keep handling to a minimum, so I will sneak attack with the camera when I can...I swear they know what it is and hide on purpose when it comes out.........

Edited by StarSapphire22

They do, they do! LOL. I have a fish that I've had for 3 years (since fry essentially) who has decided recently that he hates me because I gave him a salt dip. So, now whenever he sees me coming, he will hide, and can only be coaxed out with yummy food. Then, when I'm gone, he's out hanging with his buddies :rofl

I'm glad that he's healing well. Slow and steady is best. Your description is great, and there is no need to handle him unless necessary. You can also sneak attack a video. Perhaps that might work out a tad better. :)

May I suggest to try not to be stressed and panicked? Goldfish are like puppies. They will get into all sorts of troubles when they can, so just take it in stride that most things don't even need your intervention, and when it does, you will do your best. :)

As for the eating, here are my thoughts:

- blood worms are always favorite meals, and something that instinctively know to chase after, I think

- I am a few others are on a push to steer people away from using peas, simply because there are better alternatives, such as spinach, unsalted green beans, or even soy bean.

- Steve is right in that unless a fish is deathly ill and can't move to get food, he will eat when he's ready. The instinct survival is pretty impressive. Given his impressive girth, he's not likely to perish of malnutrition any time soon, and the fact that he is so zippy right now means that he either: 1) still has quite a bit of reserves left, and/or 2) he is eating when you aren't looking. Steve's fish are pond fish, and so are more likely to be skittish upon arrival.

- the other reason why I suggest blood worms is because perhaps you could use them in conjunction with a cone worm feeder. This way, you can actually leave the worms in there for a while, without making a mess. The feeder looks like this

p-78549-61700-fish.jpg

Haha, you can suggest it, but it probably won't work. I'm a worrier by nature, and one of those obnoxious people who plans out every miniscule detail. :P

I will see what I can find for bloodworms and a feeder locally, if I can. I work nights, and am usually not up/working when stores are open on the weekdays.

Is there something bad about peas, or is it just that other things are better?

I don't think there is anything bad about peas. People sometimes have reported that it doesn't really help with their fish's constipation, while it clearly works in most cases. The other suggestions I think are better, personally.

Good to know.

Do you know why Bowser is growing bubbles on his belly? I'm sure it's just part of the healing process but is it like a scab, or....?

Poor thing is getting floaty tonight. He keeps floating up and up and up....then SWIMS (zoomzoomzoom!) as fast as he can to the bottom to slowly float up again. He needs some gel food in his belly to weigh him down. XD

Woah, and now we're rolling over. Poor fella.

Could we please have some pics of these bubbles? The sooner the better. Thank you.

Are the bubbles in one area? or spread over a larger area. I know in cases of dropsy in pearscales bubbles appear on the scales, a picture would be very helpful so we could rule out dropsy as it can sometimes be hard to spot in initial stages in such round fish. I don't mean to worry you or anything it was just the first thing my mind went to when you said bubbles on scales, it is sometimes seen as a precursor to pineconing in pearlies and should warrant some concern.

Are the bubbles in one area? or spread over a larger area. I know in cases of dropsy in pearscales bubbles appear on the scales, a picture would be very helpful so we could rule out dropsy as it can sometimes be hard to spot in initial stages in such round fish. I don't mean to worry you or anything it was just the first thing my mind went to when you said bubbles on scales, it is sometimes seen as a precursor to pineconing in pearlies and should warrant some concern.

PSP, I agree. That's why I asked for pics. Pearlscales can't really pinecone, and so they have these eruptions of bubbles. :(

^yea they look quite nasty from what I've seen. Pearlies are so fragile as well so something like these bubble or blisters should warrant an isolation in QT imo, once they pop it would be best for the fish to be in as clean an environment as possible, I'd be worried about dragging an open blister across gravel, even more so if there are multiple bubbles.