Pearlscale injury...opinions appreciated!

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it's always good to feed probiotic food after a medicated food course.

Is there any salt in the tank at the moment? If so, you can start diluting it out to get rid of it.

Once Metro-Meds arrive, switch over to that. It would have been 7 days of Medikoi by that point anyway :)

Nope, no salt, other tan maybe just trace amounts. I haven't added any for like a week, and we do the daily water changes, so....

I'll take her up on the jumpstart then...I was just worried because she mentioned it would make him floaty and I didn't want him to get his dorsal all better, then be floaty again.

Will do. :)

Is Bowser growing a bit of a wen? I don't know what normal pearlscale heads look like, as I don't have any, and haven't seen many... but, that looks like wen growth to me.

What a total cutie! He's like a little, lumpy water blimp... soooooo cute!

Lol, he looks like a balloon with his poop lately.... :rofl

He shouldn't be getting a wen...he's a normal ping-pong, not a crown. Unless Steve had him labeled incorrectly. I don't see any weird wen-ish bumps though, just the pimply tubercle-looking things.

All goldfish can grow a bit of a wen. This trait is of course selected to be exaggerated in wenned fish like orandas, ranchus, lionheads, and some pearlies. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a little bit of a wen :)

I'm glad to hear of the lack of salt :)

The caution Krystal gave you is just standard qualifier about Jumpstart. It can make some fish floaty, at which point you just stop.

He certainly has a wen layer, however it's not the kind you see in crowned pearlscales and is completely normal in tikus. A small amount of wen rounds out the head in a large tiku and gives the head a more spherical look to match the body. ;D

Ummm...ok. Physically he looks a bit better. His dorsal seems to be doing better. His tail isn't fusing together funny anymore, looks like it ripped again, though i have no idea what he could possibly have split it on. Not sure if that's good or bad, because at least it gives it a chance to heal properly. He isn't really eating any of the medikoi yet. He didn't get any yesterday and MAYBE got one today....he can't or won't get them on the ground. I haven't picked up the gelatin yet, but I'm hoping he'll eat it off the ground then since he does with regular gel food. I leave them on the bottom anyways just in case. He won't absorb the medicine through the water or anything will he???

At some point, we need to get a regular amount of food into him, and you may need to learn to syringe feed him the medicated food. If that is necessary, I will ask someone on the mod team to come by to help with that, as there are several others who have a very deft touch with that. :)

He's not very floaty on the medikoi now that he's eating more than a pellet or two....he still hangs out in the corner between the wall and filter sometimes though. He was interested as soon as I dropped the bunch of pellets in today (on the cleared off surface again) and is working on eating them now. Seems to have a healthy appetite. :)

Hey, sorry, I totally forgot about taking the video.

Bowser passed away sometime last night. I'm not sure why. He was acting normal and there's no physical signs of anything, other than the injuries he already had. I'd test the water, but there's been a dead fish floating in it for possibly 11 hours, so who knows how accurate that is. I feel really bad. :(

Thanks everyone for your help.

Edited by StarSapphire22