Sign in to follow this  
StarSapphire22

Pearlscale injury...opinions appreciated!

Do you know someone you might borrow from just for a few minutes?

maybe.......but he's out of town for the week. POOP. Why can nothing go right for poor little bowser....

Well, you can start feeding him the 8 pellets per day as we figure this out :)

How about 6 for now, until a scale can be found...

Scales aren't that costly. I just searched for some at the WM site and they are around $20. Do you have that much to spend on one?

Hun.... One thing you could do.. Take a photo of the pellets... :thumb:

Ok, so I'll post pictures in a while tonight hopefully, including the pellets. Batteries for the camera are charging.

I have 20 dollars that I could probably spare, but barely. I'd rather not risk it. Last paycheck I lived off tomato soup and popcorn for two days before this paycheck came because we didn't have enough for groceries. I can't stand not having money for emergencies like that.

Update on Bowser's condition:

He's definitely getting worse, I feel so bad... :( His tail has a red spot and it's not healing correctly...you'll see in the pictures later. Dorsal is getting a little better, but still not good. He is getting these little white spots on him...I mentioned them before but he only had 1 or 2...now there's a lot more. There were some on his face before, and I thought they were just tubercles, but one of them has gotten bigger and has a red ring around it, and there's a new one on his body (the others had healed from before). The best way I can describe it is that it looks like acne. Angry little white heads. His blisters are still just barely there. He has a hard time catching the medikoi pellets and he's not very good at getting food off the bottom, plus the pellets dissolve within 15-30 minutes, so he doesn't really get them if they hit the bottom. He managed to get one or two this morning. I'll try a couple more later. He's still on pimafix and melafix, no added salt, less and less each change every day.

Stick the pellets into a bowl with 1 cup hot water & let it sit so that they dissolve (count out how many you put in so you know about how many will be in each portion- you will need to treat him for a full 2 weeks to do the minimum course recommended- unless Alex of Helen object to this), and then reheat it for bout 2 min in the microwave and add 2 of your packets of gelatin. Stir it up REALLY good, let it set and cut that into 14 cubes to portion it out. I would do 16 days worth, just because it is easier to cut cubes in rows of 4 x 4... then feed him the medikoi like that. The stuff as pellets is a freaking nightmare to feed.

It's worth trying it that way, Jess. All of the meds in Medikoi are pretty stable, and should be OK with the heat.

I will wait for the update to see if there is anything to say.

I'm sorry he is not 100% better yet.

Ok. I'll pick up some gelatin tomorrow and try it that way.

Update should be up tonight or by tomorrow early afternoon at the VERY latest.

Oh and thanks Alex. I don't mind doing all the work really, I just wish he'd actually get better, poor guy. It's frustrating because I took him from a wonderful home at RG and now he's been like this for a whole month since he got here. Sometimes I wonder if I was the best home for him and that makes me sad. :(

Um...I can tell you this...Bowser was going to leave RG no matter what, because he is a gorgeous fish. I maintain that most people who buy fish don't even make an attempt at helping their sick fish, and so he is already in the best of possible hands right now.

This is what I would like for you to do actually...Post in the wanted section to see if anyone has Metro-Meds to send to you. This is the better treatment option, and I would prefer to do this. In the mean time, he can eat the Medikoi gel.

Will do. Bowser looks lke he's gasping now and when he floats it's a little sideways. He never had problems with balance, just whether or not he was at the top. His poop isn't looking normal either. I'll take a video in just a couple minutes and it should be up within an hour, depending on my internet.

Video is uploading now....it's 5 minutes. I tried to explain stuff verbally but I'm not sure the sound came through. It's going to take FOREVERRRRRRR to upload though.

Testing the water...pH is testing at 7.2 which is really weird. I've never had pH that low. I'm not sure why it's like that. We just added water from the main tank before this test which maintains 7.8 most of the time...once in a while it's 7.4. Ammonia is between 0-0.25 and Nitrite is 0-0.25...Nitrate is at 20. We're testing the main tank now.

Main tank is at 7.2 as well. I don't understand. What makes pH downswing? I've never had it below 7.4 and it's almost always 7.8.

Ammonia there is 0.25, Nitrite is 0, Nitrate is 40. They're due for their water change today, so they will get one soon, I just don't understand why the pH is funky. They're not acting weird, though maybe a little less active then normal.

Check the water at your tap & see if it is coming in at the lower PH- could be the processing plant doing something a little differently, maybe?

Chin up, sweet pea- You're doing great with Bowser. He is just a challenging fish, for whatever reason, and the accident he had could have happened to anyone. Totally NOT your fault, and your dedication to him, rather than giving up, makes it well known that you are ABSOLUTELY the best home he could have gone to. He needs a little extra care, and ended up with the person who will take the time to give it to him... how is that NOT exactly where he needs to be?

Wishing you luck with finding some metro meds, and that Bowser starts having a speedy recovery!

What is the pH coming out of the tap?

Edit: I type too slow :P

Edited by bodoba

mjbubbles will be sending metromeds. :)

Doing the water change on the big tank right now, will test the tap in a minute.

Has he managed to eat any meds?

He ate a few yesterday. He didn't get any today. I left them on the bottom...sometimes he can get them. If he doesn't I'll try again later today.