Pearlscale injury...opinions appreciated!

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

It sinks.

well.. dang! just dang! i was going to say.. if it floats, then there is too much air in it, i was going to have you dissolve and re-set it... now, it appears alex is right *sigh*.. too many pellets.. :rofl

sigh. should I just order repashy asap, and throw this batch out once it's here?

Oh and Alex, I'm very confused about this neosporin....I applied it to his dorsal and it just chunks up when it hits the water. I don't think any actually stayed on him. :unsure:

Well, yes lol. This is why I ended up getting the Repashy. It's just easier and better in the long run lol.

For now, try this. Fast him for a day. Then feed your gel food, but half the amount you've been feeding.

How much pellets did you add to your batch of gel food?

Edit: Did you get the cream? It has to be the cream, or it won't stick on there. Then, you need to apply a very thin layer. The thicker the layer, the faster it falls off lol.

Yes. Most goldfish do just fine with pellets, especially the more streamlined ones. Rounder goldies tend to have more problems, and some absolutely can't have any pellets.

You did only 1 jar of baby food, right? Cause, you can re-melt it, and put MORE baby food into the batch, let it re-set, and cut again. For my gel food, I did 1 cup pre-soaked pellets to 1 bag of peas/carrots mixed, a whole block of frozen spinach, half a bag of broccoli, 2 whole bell peppers, half a can of pumpkin, and about 2 cups of wilted kale... plus half a clove of garlic, and about a TBSP each of ground flax seed and wheat germ. It literally filled an ENTIRE rectangular cake pan to about 1/2 inch from the top.(yeah- I totally overdid. No more bubbles in the poop, though! yay!) The ratio of veggies to pellets needs to be pretty low on the pellet end for floaty fish, to my understanding. It melts back down in the microwave really easily, though, and more baby food (since you use that method) can definitely be used to up your veggie content. Or, ya know... just order the repashy, if you think that would be easier. :krazy:

Well, yeah, but won't it make him floaty?

EDIT:Sorry Jamie, we posted at the same time! I had 5 jars of baby food in there, plus a bunch of fresh veggies. I think I might order repashy on friday. I'm digging the idea of a smaller batch. I go through about a 1 inch by 1 inch cube a week, and I only have about 100 cubes to go......

Edited by StarSapphire22

Antibiotic pellets usually do not make goldfish floaty. The floatiness that is food related is often because of excess production of gases by certain bacteria in the gut of these fish. When you feed antibiotic food, you kill off these bacteria, so no floatiness. The problem is that they come back after you take the meds away, so the fish can be even more floaty on pellets after that lol.

Antibiotic pellets usually do not make goldfish floaty. The floatiness that is food related is often because of excess production of gases by certain bacteria in the gut of these fish. When you feed antibiotic food, you kill off these bacteria, so no floatiness. The problem is that they come back after you take the meds away, so the fish can be even more floaty on pellets after that lol.

Greaaaaaaaat...............

Thanks for the tip jamie!

Bowser didn't seem very interested in eating today....he only halfheartedly chased the pea halves I dropped in and isn't touching them now that they're on the bottom. Hopefully he will eat them when I am not looking. Also, I've noticed he floats in the corner, facing the corner like he's in timeout, near the filter. 90% of the time he isn't actively swimming this is where he is. His tail is healing slowly and his dorsal is still red...I don't know how to get the neosporin to work...it just chunks up as soon as it hits the water and doesn't actually stay on him. He looks so sad. I just want my chubbywubkins to get better. :(

How are his injuries? If you've gotten the Medikoi, I think I would like to start it, after reviewing the extent of the damage with you.

Also, may we have QT parameters when you get a chance?

I will have my boyfriend test the water when he gets home and post it on one of my breaks. Blisters are almost completely healed. They are very very small now and when looking for them the other day I actually had issues finding them for a second, so there's a good sign! Tail is healing, but slowly. Dorsal is red and irritated from sticking out of the water, the very edge of it is white (not cottony or anything, just looks like the color leeched out of it. Don't have time to take pictures, sorry. :( I have to get ready for work.

Don't worry about that. I think we can begin to phase out salt, and give him just fresh water. He should be able to finish healing on his own with just clean water. I don't like to leave him in salt for too long.

Let me know about the eating when you know it. :)

Alright, Taylor did a WC, salt is decreased to .2%, still on melafix and pimafix.

Water tested at "Ammonia 0-0.25, Nitrite between 0-0.25, Nitrate 30ish. pH 7.6." I think that's before the WC, but IDK for sure. He hadn't eaten the peas when I left for work yet, but he might have now.