What To Do With My 10 Gallon Freecycle Find?

I was so surprised when I went to pick up a 10 gal tank from Freecycle today! I was expecting a plain tank to use for a hospital tank.

This is what I ended up with:

870d376c.jpg

1 brand new in box Penguin 100 and 1 used

A bunch of plastic decorations (totally already Freecycled already)

The tank with a hood and a working light.

Now I need ideas on what to do with it, as my Little B wants to have another little aquarium to watch! Planted tank for the first time?

Ideas? Fish? Advise?

Definitely a planted tank!! Snails and bettas are always fun for inhabitants :) But definitely go all out planted, it's so fun to plan and mess around with a heavily planted tank :D

If you're going to go the heavily planted route, find an interesting rock or piece of driftwood and work from there. I'm a big fan of ADA stuff, although it is quite pricy - Takashi Amano has put together some of the prettiest planted tanks on the planet. :)

I love my planted betta tank. You can try out different plants, rocks and driftwood, and with 10 gallons, your betta can have friends. We have six neon tetras in ours because my daughter picked them. :)

Omg that Betta pot is brilliant!!!

I have a Buddha in Moody Blue's tank which has a few holes and you should see how he thinks it's his house! He sleeps in there and sometimes just chills with only his head out! Too cute

Thought you got that 10 gal for a QT tank?

That's what the good old sterilite tubs at Walmart come in handy for :D A nice tank with everything, like this one, would kind of be a waste for a QT, at least in my opinion. :)

And I agree, a betta and a couple snails with lots of plants is going to be gorgeous!

If you're going to go the heavily planted route, find an interesting rock or piece of driftwood and work from there. I'm a big fan of ADA stuff, although it is quite pricy - Takashi Amano has put together some of the prettiest planted tanks on the planet.

I recently ordered some driftwood for my betta tank from them and was realllly not happy with what I got :( I ended up getting some at my lfs

If you're going to go the heavily planted route, find an interesting rock or piece of driftwood and work from there. I'm a big fan of ADA stuff, although it is quite pricy - Takashi Amano has put together some of the prettiest planted tanks on the planet.

I recently ordered some driftwood for my betta tank from them and was realllly not happy with what I got :( I ended up getting some at my lfs

Really? Everything I've heard about their American store has been pretty positive. I've only ever dealt with their Australian retailer which is a separate company altogether with no affiliation to ADA (beyond selling their wares), they weren't too bad. :)

Really? Everything I've heard about their American store has been pretty positive. I've only ever dealt with their Australian retailer which is a separate company altogether with no affiliation to ADA (beyond selling their wares), they weren't too bad. :)

I just didn't really like the shape of the wood (but perhaps I'm lacking artistic vision), plus it floated (which I know is not atypical, but its very different from the mopani I've used in the past), it also isn't smooth and has lots of loose slivers. meh. I probably won't order again. Here's what I got:

photo-16.jpg

It's definitely not the prettiest piece of wood, I think with some messing around you could figure out how to place it though. Being ADA they probably assumed you would cover it in something as well. The only products I really like from them are their tanks, substrate, and some lava rock. Everything is super overpriced, so unless you're trying to create a picture perfect environment there's no need for their other products.