Why don't my Goldfishes ever lay any eggs?

bagh

They are a mixture of male and female Ryukins and Orandas. But, the males never get any breeding stars, and the females never get any eggs! It has been more than 8 years but none of them ever bred or exhibited a breeding behaviour (Well, 6 years ago, they chased one another for some days, but never bred.)

Why is this happening?

• Supporter

bagho, there are a number of reasons.

for goldfish to breed, they need lots of space, plenty of clean water and a stress free environment. sometimes, a little stress such as a thunderstorm can bring on breeding behaviour enough that a female will spawn eggs. this might be too soon for the male to be in season and the eggs get eaten before you know it.. there may never be any signs of spawning eggs if you have gravel. you can only tell if you have eggs stuck to a plant or on the glass.. but the biggest indicator of a female having spawned eggs is a bare bottom as they leave a small white dot where the egg used to be.

overcrowding, incorrect temperatures, fluctuating params and health issues will prevent breeding.

You've mentioned having trouble keeping your tank cool. Perhaps that is a factor.

With my fish, I'm more likely to see the breeding behavior rather than see eggs. It usually starts in the morning and can be over by noon.

bagho, there are a number of reasons.

for goldfish to breed, they need lots of space, plenty of clean water and a stress free environment. sometimes, a little stress such as a thunderstorm can bring on breeding behaviour enough that a female will spawn eggs. this might be too soon for the male to be in season and the eggs get eaten before you know it.. there may never be any signs of spawning eggs if you have gravel. you can only tell if you have eggs stuck to a plant or on the glass.. but the biggest indicator of a female having spawned eggs is a bare bottom as they leave a small white dot where the egg used to be.

overcrowding, incorrect temperatures, fluctuating params and health issues will prevent breeding.

Thank you so much for the valuable information, Helen. :) You're so knowledgeable. :wub:

You've mentioned having trouble keeping your tank cool. Perhaps that is a factor.

With my fish, I'm more likely to see the breeding behavior rather than see eggs. It usually starts in the morning and can be over by noon.

Hey Shawnee! You remembered my post! Thank you! :):D

A couple of ideas. If your males never get breeding stars, are you sure they are males?

If you have a lot of adult fish in a tank/pond that doesn't have a lot of hiding places, the eggs will get eaten as fast as they are produced. My front pond has had anywhere from seven to 15 adult fish, and in two years, one fry has survived. (The back pond is inhabited now, so the stocking level in front is now reasonable.) Your fish may be spawning when you aren't around and cleaning up the evidence before you see it.

They are a mixture of male and female Ryukins and Orandas. But, the males never get any breeding stars, and the females never get any eggs! It has been more than 8 years but none of them ever bred or exhibited a breeding behaviour (Well, 6 years ago, they chased one another for some days, but never bred.)

Why is this happening?

when all else fails you can try this:

cool them down as in prepare for shipping

put them into a plastic shipping bag , close them up in a box.

then put then in car and take them for a ride .

next unpack them into new water.

new arrived fish always seem to get the urge and do it with in a few days after unpack

If that does not work maybe try BWPG (Barry White pure gold.) ??

:rofl

Mine get up really early in the morning to do their thing, so if you sleep late you might miss it. Several times I didn't even realize they'd done it until I was wondering why they were so interested in the gravel in one spot, only to discover they were eating eggs.

A couple of ideas. If your males never get breeding stars, are you sure they are males?

If you have a lot of adult fish in a tank/pond that doesn't have a lot of hiding places, the eggs will get eaten as fast as they are produced. My front pond has had anywhere from seven to 15 adult fish, and in two years, one fry has survived. (The back pond is inhabited now, so the stocking level in front is now reasonable.) Your fish may be spawning when you aren't around and cleaning up the evidence before you see it.

Thank you for your reply, Shakaho. :) I guessed that they were males, because they have a slender body and the first fin ray of the pectoral is thicker than others and the first finray of the dorsal fin is thinner than the females. :)

Why is this happening?

when all else fails you can try this:

cool them down as in prepare for shipping

put them into a plastic shipping bag , close them up in a box.

then put then in car and take them for a ride .

next unpack them into new water.

new arrived fish always seem to get the urge and do it with in a few days after unpack

Thank you, Sir Michael. I shall try giving them new water and a bit of change as you suggested. :) :)

BWPG music? Hehe! :D:lol

:rofl

Mine get up really early in the morning to do their thing, so if you sleep late you might miss it. Several times I didn't even realize they'd done it until I was wondering why they were so interested in the gravel in one spot, only to discover they were eating eggs.

Gee! I sometimes notice the same thing in the morning. :D I was also thinking of a close circuit camera for them. Really. Guess I need it. I wanna spy on them. :) :)