Sign in to follow this  
tithra

Another Betta Tank Update

I have never replaced my eco complete and don't ever intend to unless I redid the whole tank :) Although some people may argue that it needs to replaced every few years, the manufacturer says that it should never have to be replaced.

I did not buy many val to start. I think 3? Maybe 4? Here's a pic of my initial setup and you can see how many val I have now in the video. The val spreads fast :)

IMG_0259.jpg

Jeez its so nice, I miss your previous Betta which died of a tumor. What other plants do you have in the video besides that moss ball?

Java fern, flame moss, micro sword, crypt parva, anacharis.

Tithra, your betta tank is absolutely gorgeous, and both of the inhabitants are awesome! :D

I really want a planted set up for my bedroom now. I'm not sure when that will be executed, but it shall be done! :)

Thanks Alex, you should definitely set up a planted tank! It's so fun to try out different plants. I would really love a larger planted tank (I don't even care what's in it) just so I could have room to try some more plants.

You should do a planted goldfish tank! :carrot:;) I haven't had a barebottom tank, but I know that I clean only the glass and gently run the vacuum over the sand. It's very easy to maintain.

Hi Tithra, thanks so much for the detailed info above.

and.... drum roll..... I went to the LFS and bought......

plants (java fern, cryptocoryn (i think) and I still had some anubias and a sword in a separate container, a bit of mopani driftwood (because it is so smooth),

a golden snail and .... three gold cloud minnows (they stay small and according to the LFS the betta wouldnt' be able to catch them if he tried). I still have some gravel (rounded and small) I can use too. I'm a bit scared Pebbles will try to eat the minnows (hubbie has called them eenie, meenie, miny), but I hope to give them plenty places to hide. Wish me luck!

Tithra I read that Puff is not feeling to well again. I'm keeping my fingers crossed he'll perk up soon!

Sending healing vibes!

When I've finished pebbles tank I'll post a video :-)

You'll do fine. Here's the secret -- if a plant dies, try something different. When you have a bunch of plants that aren't dying, you've got a lovely planted tank. :)

This thread is so helpful! I'm studying to start my planted tank. Thanks Tithra!

My Java Fern died last month after leaving since November. The big leaves turned brown then it was growing new leaves on top of the leaves?

Take the new leaves and tie them to something, and they will grow into nice big plants. Also, I've had java fern come back after it looked nearly dead. It got down to one leaf, but now it's healthy.

The day I transferred my Goldfish into my 60 Gallon I tried to take my Java fern but it went into many pieces as soon as i touched it. I probably assumed that it didn't have enough nutrition despite me being excellent at dosing (fertilzers, CO2). It was in gravel which gravel doesnt do anything or have any benefits to plants.

I hope I get a new Java Fern for my betta tank. I feel like theres enough plants in my Goldfish tank the images i showed you earlier.

I feel like I need more plants in my Betta tank, I want to make a heavily planted aquarium

Edited by wteoh1

wteoh1, I think your betta tank is looking good! When I saw the picture the other day (sorry I didn't comment -- I've been on my Nook a lot lately, and I don't comment as much when I'm using it.) anyway, I saw the picture and thought to myself that it was starting to look heavily planted. :)

I didn't have any luck planting java fern. I just tie it to something, and it does better. In my daughter's desktop tank, she has two very nice bunches of java fern. One started with two babies from my goldfish tank. I tied them to a small piece of lava rock. Now they are stuck and large! And I also got her a java fern ring from Petco. It's a circle of rattan that goes through a rock weight, and the top is covered with java fern. That is a cool looking plant! The plant grows on the rattan.

In my goldfish tank, the java fern is tied to driftwood, and in my betta tank, it's wedged between a couple of rocks. It's not doing well in there, though, because it's in a shady spot.

I'll try to get a picture later and post an update to my betta tank. I think it's interesting how tithra and I both have heavily planted tanks, but mine looks quite different from hers. Mine is lower light and no CO2.

Actually, half the plants went into the trash because they died =_= found out later they weren't aquatic.