Sign in to follow this  
tithra

Another Betta Tank Update

I know I just updated on this tank a couple months ago, but things have started to established and I did a little rearranging so here is an update video.

Tank size is 6.6 gallons (upgraded to this from a 5 gallon a couple months ago). I added some driftwood recently that I am loving :) Flame moss is looking a little raggedy (it apparently didn't like the move too much), but it should bounce back soon.

EDIT: BTW music in the video is my bf's band :D He is the singer (and plays guitar)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/teJQTfhuqNs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I love how vibrant and green everything is, it's super relaxing and peaceful! :D

On another note, can I get your bf's music anywhere? They're good! :)

Edited by dan in aus

Wow Love your betta tank and all those plants!!! Everything is perfect :heart Including the music you bf is great!! I would love to also maybe get some of his music does he do any concerts in Burlington? I might have to go and bring my friends they would love the music!!

It looks great! Everything is so crisp and green. :)

I LOVE the music!

I love how vibrant and green everything is, it's super relaxing and peaceful! :D

On another note, can I get your bf's music anywhere? They're good! :)

Thanks Dan!

Bf's band is called Lendway. There's 3 albums currently available. You can get a digital download on band camp http://lendway.bandcamp.com/ or on itunes (they get way more money when you buy on band camp). Or you can get a physical copy from cd baby http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/lendway2

Wow Love your betta tank and all those plants!!! Everything is perfect :heart Including the music you bf is great!! I would love to also maybe get some of his music does he do any concerts in Burlington? I might have to go and bring my friends they would love the music!!

Thanks :) They do play in Burlington regularly, mostly red square and nectars, but they are playing the maritime festival coming up in August. They update their facebook page regularly with when/where they are playing next. If you're ever heading to burlington you should let me know! We could have a koko's get together ;)

I LOVE the music!

Thanks Shawn!

Bandcamp it is then. :)

Thanks :) They do play in Burlington regularly, mostly red square and nectars, but they are playing the maritime festival coming up in August. They update their facebook page regularly with when/where they are playing next. If you're ever heading to burlington you should let me know! We could have a koko's get together ;)

I LOVE the music!

Thanks Shawn!

I will PM you when I will be going over there then ;) I kinda go over there randomly a lot lol. I just love the atmosphere :D

I don't know which is more beautiful the planted tank or the betta

Looks so nice and everthing flows so well! I really like the driftwood addition :)

Just curious, what substrate do you use?

Looks so nice and everthing flows so well! I really like the driftwood addition

Just curious, what substrate do you use?

Thanks Narny! It's ecocomplete with a tms cap :)

I don't know which is more beautiful the planted tank or the betta

Thank you! I've been working hard on this tank for awhile now :)

I LOVE the new look of the tank, It is so green and love the driftwood. The tank is so relaxing.........and the music............WOW............. :clapping:

The tank looks Fantastic Tithra and so does your Betta :)

I also loved listening to your BF music :)

I love that tank and your Betta looks so healthy!!

I've been thinking of doing a planted tank for Pebbles. I've had it bare bottom with silk plants because its so much easier to clean and I've been battling fin nipping/rot. I'm starting to think that if I can make his environment more interesting and calm for him, he'd be less stressed, less bored and his fins would improve too. The other reason I've been holding back is: I kill plants :-(

If you don't mind I have just a few (insert ironic snort here) questions :-)

I'm a bit paranoia about cleaning. fHow do you clean the substrate with a heavy planting like that? Do you vacuum the substrate?

What is that cylinder you have hanging of the back?

What are light requirements for your tank?

How did your betta react to snails? I'm thinking about a snail as a companion for Pebbles too.

Do you add any plant food ?

What else do I need to think about?

Thanks Tithra

BTW, I love the tone of your BF's voice, very melodic too!!

Edited by Isabella

Tithra, your betta tank is absolutely gorgeous, and both of the inhabitants are awesome! :D

I really want a planted set up for my bedroom now. I'm not sure when that will be executed, but it shall be done! :)

Love the tank!!!! Love all the greenery.... so darn pretty :)

Also LOVE your BFs band. They are reeeeeeeeally good!

That was a double DUDE! DUDE!

Awesome tank hun and the Music... Hes very talented :) Even TD enjoyed it :thumb:

I LOVE the new look of the tank, It is so green and love the driftwood. The tank is so relaxing.........and the music............WOW............. :clapping:

Thank you! I am loving the driftwood too, I was feeling like the tank was really needing some hardscape.

The tank looks Fantastic Tithra and so does your Betta :)

I also loved listening to your BF music :)

Thanks Shell! Glad you liked the music :)

Tithra, your betta tank is absolutely gorgeous, and both of the inhabitants are awesome! :D

I really want a planted set up for my bedroom now. I'm not sure when that will be executed, but it shall be done! :)

Thanks Alex, you should definitely set up a planted tank! It's so fun to try out different plants. I would really love a larger planted tank (I don't even care what's in it) just so I could have room to try some more plants.

Love the tank!!!! Love all the greenery.... so darn pretty :)

Also LOVE your BFs band. They are reeeeeeeeally good!

Thanks Haley! I'm glad you liked the music :D

That was a double DUDE! DUDE!

Awesome tank hun and the Music... Hes very talented :) Even TD enjoyed it :thumb:

Thank you Koko, I let him know you said that :D

I love that tank and your Betta looks so healthy!!

I've been thinking of doing a planted tank for Pebbles. I've had it bare bottom with silk plants because its so much easier to clean and I've been battling fin nipping/rot. I'm starting to think that if I can make his environment more interesting and calm for him, he'd be less stressed, less bored and his fins would improve too. The other reason I've been holding back is: I kill plants :-(

If you don't mind I have just a few (insert ironic snort here) questions :-)

I'm a bit paranoia about cleaning. fHow do you clean the substrate with a heavy planting like that? Do you vacuum the substrate?

What is that cylinder you have hanging of the back?

What are light requirements for your tank?

How did your betta react to snails? I'm thinking about a snail as a companion for Pebbles too.

Do you add any plant food ?

What else do I need to think about?

Thanks Tithra

BTW, I love the tone of your BF's voice, very melodic too!!

You should definitely try a planted tank! I think it is really great for fish that do a lot of stress/boredom fin nipping. If you worry about killing plants, do your research and start with hardy, low light plants, then once you have a little more confidence you can begin to venture out from there! Some good easy low light choices for a betta tank would be java fern, anacharis, any type of cryptocoryne, anubias, vallisneria, and pennywort. Check out this website: http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscentral.com/Low-Light-Plants_c17.htm

I buy the majority of my plants there and many other here have as well. The site is good just to research because they break plants up into categories of beginner, low light, high light, foreground etc. and provide you with some general info on the plants in the description. This can help you at least get an idea of where to start.

To answer your questions:

1. With a heavily planted tank you do not need to really get in the substrate to vacuum like you have to in a lightly planted or unplanted tank. The plants naturally take care of the waste and use it as fertilizer. When I change my water I simply run the siphon across right above the substrate, over the plants, and pick up any loose debris. If the tank were not heavily planted (e.g. big open areas with not plants growing) I would try to get in the gravel a bit more in those open areas, taking care not to disturb the plants nearby.

2. The cylinder on the back is a co2 diffuser. I use the fluval 88g co2 kit on this tank. It is a little pricey and there are definitely cheaper diy ways to add co2 to the tank. There is a metal co2 canister that sits behind the tank, this connects to a little bubble counter (so you can see how much co2 is going in), which then connects to a diffuser that sits inside the tank and diffuses the co2 into the water. Co2 is really only necessary if you are keeping high light needy plants. The only plant in that tank that really needs co2 is the dwarf hair grass. You can also use liquid co2 if you wanted to play around with it but didn't want to get a diffuser. Seachem Excel is a good liquid co2.

3. My tank has three 13 watt compact flourescents running on it (total of 39 watts). This is only necessary again because of the dwarf hairgrass... all other plants are low light plants that don't really require this amount of lighting. If you go with low light plants you do not need to worry about lighting much.

4. Neither of the bettas I have owned thus far have cared that there was a snail in the tank :) Sometimes I see my current betta checking them out, but I have never seen him be aggressive toward them. You should definitely get some, they are really fun to watch! If you want good info on apple snail care (they do have some specific requirements) check out applesnail.net

5. When I remember I use a couple different nutrient additives for the plants including Seachem flourish and Seachem Trace (to provide macro and micro nutrients). However, I am very very bad at remembering to dose these and my tank does just fine. Again, if you choose low light easy plants, their requirements are minimal and you likely would not need any additives. The snails especially do a great job of adding plenty of nutrients to the tank that the plants can use... they are little poop machines!

The only other thing that you didn't ask about that you may want to think about is substrate. I use a nutrient rich substrate (ecocomplete... seachem flourite is another good one). Although it is not totally necessary depending on the plants to choose, any heavy root feeding plants will benefit from a nutrient rich substrate. The other option would be to add root tabs to the gravel or sand.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask if you have more questions, or start a thread in the betta section of the forum :)

Hi Tithra, thanks so much for the detailed info above.

and.... drum roll..... I went to the LFS and bought......

plants (java fern, cryptocoryn (i think) and I still had some anubias and a sword in a separate container, a bit of mopani driftwood (because it is so smooth),

a golden snail and .... three gold cloud minnows (they stay small and according to the LFS the betta wouldnt' be able to catch them if he tried). I still have some gravel (rounded and small) I can use too. I'm a bit scared Pebbles will try to eat the minnows (hubbie has called them eenie, meenie, miny), but I hope to give them plenty places to hide. Wish me luck!

Tithra I read that Puff is not feeling to well again. I'm keeping my fingers crossed he'll perk up soon!

Sending healing vibes!

When I've finished pebbles tank I'll post a video :-)

Hey tithra love your tank.

Are all plants from planted aquarium central are 100% aquatic?

Hey tithra love your tank.

Are all plants from planted aquarium central are 100% aquatic?

yes, all of their plants are aquatic :)

I ended up throwing away half of my mondo grass -_- during water change today.

Your 6.6 Gallon looks bigger than my 10 Gallon. The long dimensions really help the water pressure, it can be too much for your Betta.

Edited by wteoh1

Also btw, how many Italian Val did you purchase and whens the last time you replaced your ecocomplete?