Sign in to follow this  
vwashbur

Gel Food Failure

Ever since I found out I had a floater I've been making my own gel food and more recently I started trying agar powder after seeing some recipes here on the forum. Nutritionally, I think I've got the recipe down and my floater isn't a floater anymore. However, the gel food makes a mess. :krazy:

I was originally using regular plain gelatin and then it occurred to me that maybe there was something stronger to hold the contents together. That's when agar powder came into play. I made one batch of gel food with 1 tbspn but that disintegrated all over the tank and landed me with an extra W/C. So I scratched that batch and tried 2 1/2 tbspn and it wasn't much better. :thud

Has anyone had any better luck? I'm exhausted with trying new recipes without a single true success. I'm looking for a good that won't cause the floats, with enhance their growth, and doesn't deteriorate before they get a chance to touch it.

This is the recipe I've been trying:

GOLDFISH GEL FOOD

3 eggs boiled (egg white only)

1 jar of baby food - peas

3 tbsp canned pumpkin (no other additives)

1/2 red pepper (chopped)

2-3 leaves of kale (large middle stem removed)

1 multivitamin tablet (crushed)

1 cup spring water

1-2 1/2 tbsp agar agar powder

- Cook eggs and soften kale and red pepper in some boiling spring water.

- Put all ingredients in a bowl. Add 1/2 cup spring water. Puree contents.

- Boil a 1/2 cup of springwater in a pot and add the agar agar slowly. Pour the puree into the pot and mix well.

- Pour mixture into a baking pan and put in refrigerator to set.

- Cut it into into small cubes and transfer to a baking sheet. Put baking sheet in freezer until gel food is frozen.

- Put gel food into ziploc bags and freeze.

:help:

How many cups of food does this recipe make total, Jen? With agar, I've found that you really have to melt it first (boiling) and the mixed in really well with the food. You also need to use 1 tablespoon per cup of food.

Hahaha it appears I've changed my name Alex, I like it. :clapping:

Well, when I puree all the contents I have about 2 cups total. Thats excluding 1/2 cup of the water that I boil to mix the agar powder into and then once it's well mixed I add the puree to it and even continue to heat that a bit until I feel it's well incorporated. Maybe gel food just doesn't like me.

Edit: Oh, and to add to that, the 2nd batch I made would have followed the 1 tbspn agar powder to 1 cup of food. The first batch did not.

Edited by vwashbur

The thing is that agar has to be cooked for 5mintues on high heat and stirred well for it to work properly.

I only use 1.5 - 2 teaspoons for 2 cups of food and it works fine. The food makes no mess.

Try cooking it on the stove top instead of just adding it to hot water. :)

Haha. I'm on my phone, and for some reason, I read the OP to be justnoskill, or Jen :P. Sorry about that.

In my signature, there are links to the agar food, including videos made by tithra. Perhaps you could take a look at that as well? Her gel is pretty firm and does not break apart. Mine was as well, but I don't make it anymore.

These days I'm all about Repashy gel foods, which are amazing. The soilent green mix is the best mix for floaters, I think. I recently wrote a review on it here. Check it out. It could a good alternative to actually making your own. At least for me it was. I got too lazy :D

OHHH! Ok, this may be the problem. See, I do cook it on the stove top but only until it's mixed in. It is absolutely not 5 minutes when I do it.

Fede, you may have just solved my desperation! Thank you! :bighug

I will try that tomorrow when I go to the grocery store!

For sure try!

I puree all my ingredients raw because I have those monster blenders. Then I add about 1/4-1/2 cup of water and mix well. The end product is usually 2 cups. Then I put that in the pot and add the agar. Bring everything to a boil and cook like this for 5minutes stirring like mad :)

Haha. I'm on my phone, and for some reason, I read the OP to be justnoskill, or Jen :P. Sorry about that.

In my signature, there are links to the agar food, including videos made by tithra. Perhaps you could take a look at that as well? Her gel is pretty firm and does not break apart. Mine was as well, but I don't make it anymore.

These days I'm all about Repashy gel foods, which are amazing. The soilent green mix is the best mix for floaters, I think. I recently wrote a review on it here. Check it out. It could a good alternative to actually making your own. At least for me it was. I got too lazy :D

See, I used you and tithra as my examples and essentially made a semi-combo of both your recipes.

Whats this about Repashy gel foods? I'm intrigued. So it literally comes in powder form, you boil it in some tank water, refrigerate, and you're done? And they get all their nutrients and I quite slaving away? I like this. :Jig:

So, removing the fact that there's nothing to do preparation-wise (besides boiling it) you feel this is a better formula for fish growth and health as opposed to making one like I've been making?

There are several formulas that he makes, and I'm I'm the process of trying several different ones. The Soilent green mix is absolutely fantastic for potential floaters. I'm not sure about growth, because I've only used it for almost a month, and these fish are already big. From the ingredients and composition of the food though, I don't think growth should be a problem.

I am on my phone can't easily get you the link. It's in the product reviews section of the forum. :)

The food is extremely easy to make. It's a powder. You mix 1 part powder to 3 parts boiling water, and you are done. :D

Ok, I think I'm going to order this. I'm on their site now and it's looking good!

Ok, I think I'm going to order this. I'm on their site now and it's looking good!

I love it! It's on the expensive side, but the convenience and ease of making the food more than make up for the cost. Also, really. I'm never going to be able to give my fish 25% algae in their food :rofl :rofl :rofl

I love it! It's on the expensive side, but the convenience and ease of making the food more than make up for the cost. Also, really. I'm never going to be able to give my fish 25% algae in their food :rofl :rofl :rofl

Honestly, its not THAT expensive. When I think about the money I've put into experimenting all sorts of gel foods, I cringe. So if this works out its not terribly priced.

And you're so right! I feel like I'll never give them the nutritional value provided in this gel food. We've been out smarted!!

Oh! And I got my e-mail confirmation! Mine is on it's way and should arrive tomorrow :clapping: