Tora Has Dropsy

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you do need to weigh her so that you know how much minimum to feed her. This is a crucial point.

I suspect that besides feeding her, you will still need to assist her with the syringe for a few more days at least.

Thanks, Carole!

Based on her weight, she needs to eat 0.75 grams of Metro-Meds/day, which translates to 30 pellets.

I am not sure that she is going to be able to consume anywhere near that amount. So, until she is able to gain back her healthy appetite, I would like for you to continue giving a bit of the metronidazole by syringe as you've done.

How is Tora doing?

Hoping for the best! If she is eating there is hope.

With Blondie sick I used to just give her crumbs of MMs all day long. It is easier for weak fish to 'chew' so they eat more of it.

Good job, Carole & Tora!

I'm really happy with the results, but I'm afraid you stopped treatment way too soon. Metro-Meds really needs to be administered for at least 14 days, and sometimes we go longer.

As you know dropsy is notoriously persistent, and recurrence is a huge problem. One way that we try to minimize is to adhere to the treatment schedule.

As you know, in humans when we get sick and are prescribed antibiotics, we are told to finish the course, even when clinical symptoms vanish long before the treatment period is over. It's critical.