Tora Has Dropsy

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unbeknownst to you, there are several of me (all robots), so we actually don't need to sleep! :rofl

Agar agar is a seaweed based binder that is used in deserts in some Asian countries. Because it's seaweed based, it is actually superior to gelatin, at least as far as something that is being used to make gel food for fish. I have some links in my sig about agar agar and why it's good, or at least better than gelatin.

You can buy agar agar at Whole Foods, or Asian grocery stores, among other places.

Ok, I have her set up in qt, temp at 80F{but I don't think this heater can keep up as it's only a 50 wt, will get a better one today} 1/4 tspn of epsom salt added. She is not eating presently, so I added 1 1/2 measure of metro powder to the water. The metro-meds are ordered. I checked with my local Whole Foods and they have agar flake, will that do?

• Supporter

hun, i know very little about agar agar..

re the metro powder, yes, if she's not eating. please add the recommended dose for the volume of water and just gently stir the surface afterward to encourage it to fall to the bottom of the tank. this way, the med stands a chance of being consumed by normal breathing.

Carole, is she rejecting food, ie, accepting and spitting it out? or just simply not interested?

when was the last time you saw her poop and what was the colour/consistency like? did it appear normal to you?

• Admin

Im just wondering, you said it came back. So Im wondering whats in the tank that might cause this. and also hun. Whats your PH in tap and tank?

Thanks everyone. She is just not interested in eating at this point. I cannot say with any accuracy when the last time I saw Tora poop. I have been nursing a sick parrot for the last ten days. I do know someone in the tank has long stringy white poop. I see it in the morning. Koko, I meant problems came back. I have not had dropsy, but remember I had a piece of wood that killed a few fish, fish with ich when I first started getting them for the big tank, and fish with SBD in my original tank,.

The PH of tap and tank are 7.6, temp at this time of year stays at 76F.

Edited by waterfaller1

• Supporter

that's awesome hun. it's almost 4am here, i'm off to bed, will check on progress in the morning :)

i have my fingers crossed it will open up her appetite so that she can receive the MetroMeds when they arrive. good luck hun :heart

Oh no I am So Very Sorry to hear Tora is in trouble :( I do hope the meds arrive in time and your able to save the cute little one :) sending you my very best speedy recovery vibes :) will be keeping you both in my thoughts :)

Thanks all for the well wishes. Koko, the tank has plants, stones, and substrate. There are 7 fish total. One is new,he went through qt and was just put in the tank a few days ago. No other fish shows any signs of anything amiss, besides Zorro, who has always gone to the top after eating. I have now seen Tora poop a bit ago, and she does have the long white string poop. The tank is 90 gallons with a 29 gallon sump. There is a filter sock that is changed weekly for a new one, and 4X large media bags with Eheim media for biological filtration. An external pump returns the water to the tank, and there is a large airstone on an air driven pump. I am sure bacteria builds in our tanks over time, regardless of water changes, and sometimes it flat out comes from the tapwater. Water companies can do late night flushes, and they don't give you a warning when they do it. Always a good idea to run your water a while before saving any for a water change...a good reminder for me as well.

Edited by waterfaller1

Why not add the powder to gel? My fish could not eat either,but were able to 'inhale' it through their mouths when I dropped it in front of them.It worked really well.Just until she can eat MM>

Thank you Alex and Kukana. At what amount did you mix the powder to gel? Or is there a recipe that includes how much metro? Since it is already added to the water, can I overdose?

Edited by waterfaller1

Carole, you won't overdose that way, but the bigger concern is that is she even trying for food? If she is then yes, we will want to make the gel food, but if she isn't then, there is no point.

Let me know how she does. Perhaps we can mix up a tiny bit of meds in water and baby food and syringe some to her.

The headstanding is another indicator of kidney malfunction :(

Did you add metronidazole to the water? What I would like for you to do is to get a 1ml syringe, take a tiny pinch of metronidazole powder and mix it with 1 ml tank water, draw up the metro water into the syringe and then try to pump that amount slowly into her mouth. Most of it will escape out the gills, but she will ingest some.