Tora Has Dropsy

Here we go again with problems. I just cannot win with goldfish. :(

So Tora has pretty bad dropsy. She ballooned up in the last two days. I took out my qt stuff and will set it up tomorrow. I have been reading through previous threads. Epsom salt at 1/4 tspn per 10 gal, temp at 80F, daily water changes, treat with metro{I have the seachem powder kind} Am I missing anything?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

hun, no, you're not missing anything for treatment. you can put metronidazole in the water, that's fine, but it's best that you weigh your fish and i will get alex to help you with dosage to make metrogelfood.

if you can answer all the questions above, weigh the fish and let us know the weight that would be wonderful.

epsom dose is correct, heat up to 80F and now all we need to sort out is the medicated food.

post a topview photo and a short vid if you can.

Ok, I will get all the info. The seachem metro says use one measure to 1 tblspn frozen gel food.or 1-2 measures per 10 gal. I will double check that, but I think that's what it said. I also have that medi food of Rick's, and some jungle bacteria food. I will root around tomorrow and see what else I have.

Thank you!!

• Supporter

do you mean that you have the MetroMeds? if you do, there is no need for metro gelfood, just make sure that the fish is consuming 1% of it's bodyweight daily of the MetroMeds. it's important as this is the dose to combat the bacteria/infection.

I would go with Metro-Meds, instead of making the gel food. Metronidazole in the gel clearly works, but MMs are preferred, if possible.

I would order some, but in the mean time, make the gel food with metronidazole and start that right away. Do you have any pics?

Good luck, Carole.

• Supporter

awesome, we can do the medicated gelfood until the MetroMeds arrive. we will need the weight of the fish. here is a vid i know best of how to weigh my fish with little effort, hope it helps :)

No pics tonight, I am sorry. I will get it together tomorrow. I should have waited to post, but I was worried. Sorry, and thank you both!!

No, you shouldn't have waited to post. With dropsy, the sooner you start treatment, the better.

• Supporter

no need to be sorry hun, best that you posted so that you can start treating immediately. pics can come later that's no probs, i am sure you know dropsy when you see it. get us the weight of your fish so that you can be making medicated gelfood asap, we don't need to hold off on treating because there are no pics.

• Supporter

oh Carole.. he does look terrible, as they all do when they are dropsy.. lets keep our fingers crossed we can correct this for the little darling :heart

we will work with you through this and ensure together we are doing everything possible.

Carole, how goes with the weighing, etc?

Do you need help with the medicated gel food? There has to be a certain amount of metronidazole in the food to ensure efficacy.

Carole, how goes with the weighing, etc?

Do you need help with the medicated gel food? There has to be a certain amount of metronidazole in the food to ensure efficacy.

Ok..I understand about how to weigh her. I can do that this morning. Yes, I will need to know how to make food.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I hope I can save her.

The easiest will require:

- agar agar or gelatin

- canned tuna or tuna in pouch (low sodium)

- 2 jars of the 4 oz veggies baby food

There are also a bunch of different gel food recipes in my sig that are a little more involved.