Sign in to follow this  
GoldfishLover!

Veggies like peas and galic must be cooked?

Hi everyone, I smash some pre-cooked frozen green peas and carrots with a little bit of peeled raw garlic, and feed it to my one-year old goldfish once a week. They seam to like it.

But, should we feed them un-cooked or cooked veggies? Once a week is about right?

Thanks.

Edited by GoldfishLover!

Cooked and unsalted. Once or twice a week is good :) Keeps the pipes clean lol.

Cooked and unsalted. Once or twice a week is good :) Keeps the pipes clean lol.

Thanks. Will stop using uncooked garlic from now :flex:

You don't have to cook them much. Maybe a minute steeped in water off the boil.

If they are frozen, you don't have to cook them. Being frozen, breaks them down just like cooking.

The thing with cooking veggies is that it makes them softer, easier to eat and easier to digest.

That said, the plant material they find and eat in a pond is not cooked either, so there is no harm done when you don't cook something / don't cook it enough. Of course there's no zucchini growing IN a pond, but you're getting the point LOL

Aquatic or not, fish love it. Although I'm kind of trying to feed a little more "natural" food, just because it doesn't require cooking, and it might be a little closer to what they're adapted for, so I'm keeping a lot of java moss, duckweed, and watersprite in my other tank so there's plenty of trimmings for the goldies.

You don't have to cook them much. Maybe a minute steeped in water off the boil.

Brilliant idea! Much easier than cooking them through. Thanks a lot. :clapping:

If they are frozen, you don't have to cook them. Being frozen, breaks them down just like cooking.

Right. Frozen veggies are kind of softer than fresh ones :D Thanks.

The thing with cooking veggies is that it makes them softer, easier to eat and easier to digest.

That said, the plant material they find and eat in a pond is not cooked either, so there is no harm done when you don't cook something / don't cook it enough. Of course there's no zucchini growing IN a pond, but you're getting the point LOL

That is very logical :clapping: Thanks.

Aquatic or not, fish love it. Although I'm kind of trying to feed a little more "natural" food, just because it doesn't require cooking, and it might be a little closer to what they're adapted for, so I'm keeping a lot of java moss, duckweed, and watersprite in my other tank so there's plenty of trimmings for the goldies.

Good idea.