Yawning?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fish who are unwell will sometimes be disinterested in food. Try again in a little bit and again in the morning. Try to soak the food very briefly in some garlic juice.

Is there something I am doing wrong? I feel like my fish are never well. I try so hard though.

No. I don't think you have. There are a couple of things that perhaps play a role:

1. Distributor. Your LFS may be getting goldfish from a bad source. For some reason, a lot of people tend to think that goldfish are short-lived, so they don't question it when the fish dies after a month or a few months. So, LFSs continue to get fish from bad places. Perhaps you could change where you get goldfish.

2. QT. Once you get fish, it may be beneficial to QT with salt + Prazi, to knock off at least the external issues that might be affecting the fish.

well... i got this fish in particular from weathervane... i rescued her from their tropical tank. she was QT'd with her recently passed tankmate and went through prazi... i just wish i could fix her.

I think she came to you already with issues, unfortunately :(

From the short time I've interacted with you on this forum, you have given me the impression of being a good and careful keeper! :)

she definitely had issues... i just want to fix them... and it's been a long time coming. I've had her since may and she's been sick the whole time. Do you think she will ever be healthy?

I'm wondering, the plant I put in with her she seems to really like it a lot (not eating it but just hanging around it) could it be hurting her? I did sanitize it with 1 pt bleach 19 pts water could it still have something that would do this to her?

I just wanted to wish you good luck and say you are a amazing fish mom :heart I too have pretty bad petshops and get a lot of troubled fish but with the help from Koko's and there amazing mods I feel I can try to give them the best life and know I did everything I could :)

I am really rooting for you guys :hug

Did you rinse the plant well after the bleaching?

There is always a possibility that plants can carry in parasites, despite the bleach treatment.

For the moment, I've given up on real plants, with that being one of the reasons.

Having said that, you should know that many many many many people on this forum have live plants in their tanks, without any problems. I did too in the past :)

Well I rinsed it about ten times and let it sit in primed water for a bit and rinsed it again... didn't want to take chances. I think it's okay... i was just curious if that was the problem

She seems to be better. In the sense that she is definitely eating. Yay =D she is still sitting but her fins have healed completely. =D life is good for her right now I think... I hope she continues to heal this much!

I'm so happy to see she is getting better! :clapping:

Some fish just get sick no matter what we do. It's just like with people, some have poorer immune systems, genetics etc. Don't be too hard on yourself :) But I totally understand the feeling of frustration, I have had a chronically sick fish for about 9 months now. All we can do is our best. I hope she will continue to make a full recovery!!

Could you upload a video when you are able? I would just like to see if there are any other obvious signs of distress/illness.

If she is coming out at night, she may be is just really stressed. What happens when you keep the lights off during the day?

I can do a video in just a few minutes. I kept the light off while I was out today and she did swim around a bit but not much more than with the light on. She still gets excited about food and when I come in the room but she just doesn't move much. Video is on the way!