Sign in to follow this  
pss_gold

Spinach challenged...

Hey guys,

I've tried feeding my goldfish blanched baby spinach a few times but they never seem able to rip the leaves... They just take turns sucking at it for a long time. Even after I pre-ripped the leaf, they couldn't pull anything off. Will they get the hang of it eventually or are they, um, leaf challenged? I guess that would mean it's a "go" for my planted tank ideas haha.

I have seen my one big oranda go to town on a yellowing/dying dwarf onion leaf (got crimped during a water change). I swear she did an alligator death roll to rip it off :rofl So I guess at least one of them has the skills.

One of the spinach leaves came out of the clip and my 1" oranda was chasing it around but still couldn't get anything off it. Funny to watch though since it was bigger than her ;)

I would just continue to let them try. Eventually they will get the hang of it.

Hopefully.

:lol

hun, are you blanching the leaves enough? you need to boil them until they are really soft to just tear apart.. ie, the leaf still on the stem, then you put the stem in the veggie clip and they just bite bits from it effortlessly..

we all learn, i have video of my famous Pork Chop (god bless her) playing tug of war and doing belly rolls like a crocodile trying to tear a piece of spinach of a not so cooked leaf :rofl

I microwaved it in a half cup of water for a minute. I worried that if I cook it any more that the good stuff will cook away. :(

I'll run down and check on their progress. I'm also looking into a mortar and pestle so I can smash it up/"pre-chew" it without gel since my gel food always ends up with bubbles :/

i have heard the "good stuff" is gone within the first few seconds of microwaving, so i don't microwave anything anymore.. i would just get a small saucepan, put some tank water in it and gently boil it for 5 mins. that should be enough. when you are able to softly break it apart with your finger, then it's done.