Quarantine for two new fish :)

Jolly

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick update:

Today was the end of Dose 4 for the Prazi, so we did a 90% water change, added back in 2x prime, and salt but no Prazi.

Should I let them have a couple days before I put the next dose? I was thinking Thursday or Friday. :)

Water parameters still look good: one test tube spilled so I didn't get to test the pH this time, but Ammonia and Nitrites were at 0ppm and Nitrates were at 30ppm. :)

YAY! :) That is exciting news. I will still probably water change Thursday night or Friday morning. Should I replace the salt? They are both doing well...very active and hungry. I will post another video soon.

With the two fish in the tank, how often do you think we should change the water? I was thinking 50% (at least--normally once we start, we do 90% since we're doing it anyway) twice a week. :)

Yes, YAY! :rofl

You could start lowering the salt and phasing it out entirely :)

You know my answer about the WC, the bigger and the more WCs, the better. They will grow faster, too. Just make sure that temp and pH are matched, and you are set!

Ok. Sounds good. :) We have gotten pretty fast at water changes so we will do them often. :)

I do have another question though. We are going camping next week and will be gone for 2-3 days. Do you know of any food that is safe/healthy for them that we could leave in the tank so they don't eat each other? :) I might be able to have a neighbor drop some food in but I'm not sure that will happen/be a good plan.

LOL. They won't eat each other, and even though they are tiny, they should be fine for a few days without food.

I would have suggested putting some plants that they might like into the tank as food, but I think that's more risk than necessary, since plants can carry diseases if they are coming from a dubious source. If you can get a neighbor drop in food, that's best, but make sure you put out EXACTLY what you want the neighbor to add, or you could be coming back to an overfed, fouled tank.

Hey. :) We did a big (90%) water change tonight...it had been a few days. I don't think we did enough water changing this week because the parameters were a bit off tonight...pH: 7.4 (normal), Ammonia: 0.25ppm (might be a bit lower), Nitrites: 0.15?ppm (slightly purple, probably barely anything), and Nitrates: 40-50 ppm. Hoping the water change will hold until we get back and can do another one Wed night. We added 2.5 tsp of salt to take them off it slowly and won't add more as long as the nitrites are gone when I test Wednesday. We fed them well today and will put a little food in tomorrow but I think a day or two of fasting might do them good. :)

Also, I am glad they won't eat each other. Sometimes they nip at each other, but usually stop fairly quickly and they may just be playing around. Lol. :)

Ok. :) We are both exhausted after camping, so water change will have to wait till morning. Both fish are happy to see us. It seems Atlas lost all his black coloring while we were gone. Lol. Tricky little fish. :) Fed them some peas tonight and they were excited.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update. Fish are still doing well. They are growing fairly fast. We are doing 2 water changes a week and more if we can get to them. I need to post a new video soon! I can't wait until the weather gets colder and we can get the water temp down a bit. Its hovering around 79F but they are much happier when we get it down a bit with the water changes.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! Its been too long. I guess that is a good thing because we haven't had problems for a bit. :) I finally got a new video. Unfortunately, its of what I am assuming is problem behavior. Atlas (orange) seems to be chasing/nipping at P-body (black). We caught a quick video of it but it went on for about 15 minutes. We had just fed them a cube of the frozen food we sometimes give them. Josh broke it up to see if that would help and it seemed to, but I didn't know if there was any other possible explanation. They seem to be getting along ok tonight but P-body is definitely a bit skittish.

Holly,

It's time you and I have a talk. You see, sometimes a boy goldfish suddenly begins to really really like this girl goldfish, and he thinks that may be it'll be really neat if they get together and ask the stork for some little babies

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Is that really what is happening? Lol. I wondered but I am not sure about their sexes. So I shouldn't be worried? We just may end up with more fish? :) Can they breed even though they are different types? Ok...I think that's my question quota for the afternoon.

I had no idea! :) I'd be interested to see what their fry looked like. Lol. I guess I won't get as upset if its normal behavior then when it happens. Atlas won't hurt P-body with his "chasing" right? I don't see any damage to her so far and I think other than being a bit skittish, she is doing fine.

During spawning chase, they can get pretty rough, and can sustain some damage. Just keep watch. If you see it getting to be too much, give them a rest by floating one of them in a colander in the tank. :)

Ok. Sounds good. :) Right now they are swimming together and (if fish can do so) looking at me like I'm crazy. Silly fish make me worry too much! I saw a colander on sale today...I'll grab it when I'm at the store tomorrow. :) Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again after a long absence. :) I've got a quick water quality question. I've been sick for over a week now and the water change kept getting put off. We are doing a 90% today. I tested the water and we have a bit of a nitrite spike...0.25 ppm or so. The pH looks fine (7.4) and the Ammonia is still reading 0 ppm. Our nitrates were high as well (80ppm) but I expected that since we weren't able to get to the change quick enough. I'm just wondering if we should add some salt to help with the nitrites or leave it alone and change it again in a day or two to finish getting them out. The fish just seem happy to get some new water at the moment and aren't acting weird at all if that helps.

Hi Holly :)

I would go ahead and add 2 teaspoons of salt after the WC, and then change the water again in 2-3 days. If you detect nitrites again, just add salt add 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons until the bump goes away :)