Quarantine for two new fish :)

Jolly

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are doing well. Very active. Not sure I realized how active fish are supposed to be. :) They tried to nibble our hands while were were changing the tank water out. They act like they are starving but I think they are eating plenty. Fed them ~4 deshelled peas earlier today. Been feeding them only once a day to keep the waste down a bit hoping that would help. We've almost settled on names too--Atlas for the fantail and P-body (or Peabody) for the moor. :)

Sounds fantastic! :)

Young fish are extremely active, and you will see them going round and round the tank all day lol. Once the cycle has settled, I would do with multiple small meals daily. Frozen blood worms and veggies are also great for them.

I still intend to send you some of this gel food. I was going to send you one kind, but now will send you a different one, which favors growth in young fish. Be patient with me, I'll PM asking for addy etc next week some time, once I get this current group of samples all sent out :)

Update: They are still doing well. Ammonia was at 0.15-0.25 ppm today. Its decreasing a bit. :) They are still eating fine and active. I did spot two tiny white spots on the orange one's tail...the one from her head is gone though. I am probably worried for nothing but I am trying to get a picture or video that shows it so you can see what you think. We are going to do a big water change tomorrow. I forgot to test the tap tonight but hopefully I will remember tomorrow. :)

We didn't get to the water change until today. But we did a 90% since they had made quite a mess. :) I will leave Prazi out for 3 days. The spots on the orange one are gone. I think he is messing with my head. Lol. The orange one seems to be changing colors (I hope that is all it is). He is getting more black on him! I will post a video later tonight if I can. Water parameters are still doing ok...ammonia is under 0.25ppm now, so I am hoping the cycle is catching up. Will we see a nitrite spike again? Just wondering.

Also...the orange one is getting a little nippy toward the black one. Could this be because we aren't feeding them enough? I don't think the black one is hurt at all yet, but she seems a bit skittish. Any ideas?

You may not see the nitrite spike again, and I hope that you won't.

Do you think you can catch them being nippy? Does this happen at food time? Sometimes re-arranging the decor will help with that.

Sounds like everyone is doing well though :)

I was hoping we wouldn't see the spike too. Just didn't want to be surprised by it. I tend to get worked up over the water issues. :) I will ask Josh to get a video after he gets home from work...his phone is so much better than mine. :) We did just get some new plants to put in (fake ones) so maybe that is the issue. We'll try rearranging and see if that helps. Thanks! :)

We have been feeding them only once a day (usually afternoon) so I guess it was close to normal food time...maybe I'll feed them in the morning at at night if you think they might need more food. I just didn't want to overfeed with the water being a bit off at the moment. :)

Hey. Update. :) We are doing a water change before adding Prazi.

Water parameters:

Temp: 79F

pH: 7.4

Ammonia: 0.25 ppm

Nitrite: ~0.15 ppm (Just slightly purple)

Nitrate: 30 ppm

Since we're seeing a little nitrite, do I need to do anything special?

We are adding the normal salt, a little Cycle, and double Prime...and Prazi if you think we should still (this will start Dose 3 after a 3 day break with no Prazi in).

Ok. Thanks! :) I will test the water tomorrow night to make sure ammonia/nitrites are under control.

Here is a new video finally. :) I think Atlas (orange one) is getting some new spots. :)

It was a kitchen spoon...that might be a tablespoon? I am not good at remembering which is which...:) If we need to add more we can...might have to wait till we have more ice though.

Lol. :( I will take a picture...or use 6.5 tsps with the next water change. :) Real measuring cups make things easier I suppose. :) So if I use a measuring spoon...do 6.5 total? or 7.5?

Well, if you use a measuring spoon, then you need 9 teaspoons of salt if there's nothing in there. Then when you do WCs, replace the amount you take out. :)

Ok..so if we do a 75% water change, 7 tsp with a measuring spoon would be ok? :)

Oh...and the water parameters tonight are perfect! :) It might not last long, but I am excited. :) (Ammonia: 0ppm, Nitrite: 0 ppm)

Water parameters before change tonight (end of Dose 3 of Prazi):

Temp: 79.3F

pH: 7.4

Ammonia: 0.25 ppm

Nitrite: 0.15 ppm

Nitrate: 40-50 ppm

We did an ~85% water change and added 7 tsp of salt, 2x Prime, and a little Cycle. They seem to be doing ok. P-body (black one) was acting a bit strange right after but I think its because its so hard to match the temperature when we do the change. It got a little cold a little fast since we were adding a lot of ice to make the tap colder. :( They both seem ok now though and are begging for food as usual. :)

Should we wait a couple days before Dose 4 or do another water change tomorrow and start it?