Quarantine for two new fish :)

Jolly

Hi. I promise I will post water parameters tonight and nothing is wrong with my fish at the moment. I think we picked two relatively healthy fish from the petstore last night. :) One is an orange fantail (we think) and the other is a black moor. Still deciding on names.

I would love some advice on quarantine and advice for brand new little fish so that they get a healthy start. I am planning on starting Prazi and salt to 0.1% this evening with an 80% water change (it was changed 100% yesterday). My tank is cycled too.

I also haven't had a fish that can eat normally for about 6 months, so I am wondering what would be best to feed them. I have peas I can cook and deshell, goldfish flakes, pellets, frozen green food (spinach, spirulina, bloodworms--can get the rest of the ingredients tonight, they are in cubes), fry food and green wafers that stick to the side of the tank for them to nibble. We didn't feed them anything last night when we brought them home because we didn't want to add to their stress level.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Here is a video of them...I'll try to post a better one later.

Thanks! *Holly and Josh*

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on the new fish! They are very cute :) What size is the QT tank?

Your QT plan sounds good. For prazi you'll want to do 4-6 rounds, and keep the tank at .1% salt for the duration of treatment (.1% = 1 tsp of aquarium salt or salt without additives/anti caking agents per gallon). Here's the basic schedule for prazi treatment:

Day 1: Big WC (>50%), add Prazi. Make sure salt is at the appropriate concentration. This is the beginning of Round 1.

Day 5: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 1.

Day 6: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 2.

Day 10: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 2.

Day 11: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 3.

Day 15: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 3.

Day 16: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 4.

Day 20: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 4.

Day 21: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 5.

Day 25: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 5.

Day 26: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 6.

Day 30: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 6.

For food, a good high quality sinking pellet and/or gel food combined with fresh veggies (peas, spinach, lettuce, zucchini etc.) is great :) Blood worms are always a welcome addition too. I would generally stay away from the flakes though. Good pellet brands include new life spectrum, omega one, hikari, and pro gold (from goldfishconnection.com)

Their tank and quarantine tank (which is already cycled) is a 10 gallon. I know we will have to upgrade soon...but we need space and permission. Lol.

Tank Info:

• * Ammonia Level--0.5 ppm
  • * Nitrite Level--0 ppm
  • * Nitrate level--0 ppm
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) It has a GH of about 150 ppm(soft-hard range) and a KH of around 80 ppm.
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master Test Kit (drops)
  • * Water temperature?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?-- 10 Gallon tank running since November 2011.
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Filter is for a 30 gallon aquarium I think (Says AquaClear 50 on top of it if that helps)
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? We do a 50% water change at least once a week, usually twice.

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Tonight, 80%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? Two goldfish (both around 1 inch or slightly less in size)
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Use Seachem Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Nothing yet, going to feed them something tonight. :)
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Yes, 2 yesterday
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Prazi and salt will be added to the tank tonight
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. The fish haven't been treated for anything yet (they're new). Starting the Prazi tonight with salt at 0.1%. The fish that died recently was also treated with Prazi and salt and Marycn 2 once about 6 months ago.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Nothing so far. :)
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Nope. :)

I am a little worried about the ammonia. I haven't had that in the tank since we got it cycled. Is this just due to the fact that we added two fish yesterday? Not sure if this is normal or not. Should we still add the Prazi tonight or wait until the ammonia gets more under control?

Hi Holly,

I would go ahead and do a big WC and start the salt and Prazi testing. You are in luck because at pH 7.4, the ammonia is annoying, but most of it is in the harmless ammonium state. This is what I would recommend doing on days where you don't do water changes according to the schedule suggested by tithra.

Check for ammonia and nitrite each day. If ammonia is less than 1.00 ppm, then just add 1x Prime. You're all set. If it's higher than 1, then you may need to do a WC, at which point post and we can help further.

I'm not surprised that you are seeing a bit of a bump in the cycle. Pucca was eating much in the last few months, so she probably put out a lot less waste. The cycle will catch up soon.

Ok. We will add the first dose of Prazi and salt to 0.1%. We also have a tiny bit of Nutrafin Cycle left too if that would help anything. The temp is around 79F...is that ok? We keep trying to get it colder but our tap is still hot. :(

Should we double dose the Prime tonight?

I will test tomorrow afternoon before I go to work if possible and if not, tomorrow evening and report. Thanks!

Tank parameters today:

Temp: 77.7 F

pH: 7.4

Ammonia: 0.3 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 10 ppm

I think the ammonia is holding off enough, but I will check again tomorrow afternoon. Worried about the little guys the whole time I was at work. The orange fish has a tiny white dot on one side that appears to me to be slightly raised up. Not sure what it is. We are trying really hard to get a video but the fish won't hold still. As soon as I get one I will post it though so you can see what you think. :( I hope its nothing bad.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Salt and Prazi will get rid of a lot of things :)

Edit: The snapfish pic worked, but I definitely couldn't see the white dot :)

Edited by dnalex

Ok. I'll keep trying to get a better shot. If it was ich there would be more than one white dot right? I've heard it described as grains of salt....there isn't anything on the black one, so hoping its just a coloration thing. The Prazi doesn't seem to be affecting them...they are eating and active. :)

That's good. :)

I may have you increase the salt to 0.3% after this round of Prazi, and just double dose on Prazipro. This way we don't need to worry about salt being too low to deal with other things.

Ok. I'll post parameters tomorrow afternoon/evening and we can go from there. :) I'm probably worrying for nothing. Just want these guys to have a long happy disease-free life. :)

Thanks! :)

Tonight's tank parameters:

Temp: 79F

Ammonia: 0.5ppm

Nitrate: 10 ppm

Should I add some Prime tonight to get rid of the ammonia? I just re-read your post above and I think that is what you meant. Oops! I will wait till I hear to add it. I think we still have tomorrow left before doing a water change according to the schedule if that info helps.

In other news, we got a digital thermometer--those are incredible! :) So much easier than guessing the colors in a gradient.

Yes, you can hold off on the water change. Between the ideal pH and the relatively low amount of ammonia being detoxified by Prime, you can leave off WC for now. In fact, we want that so that there's some ammonia to drive the cycle back to where it should be :)

Ok. Sounds like a plan. :) I am also going to get some more Nutrafin Cycle soon because I think it really helped to keep things ok last time and its cheap. :)

Sorry I didn't get to post last night. I did test just the ammonia and it was at about 0.3ppm. I think tonight is the day for a water change so we will do that and add back the salt, but no Prazi. :) They are still eating well and very active. I have new pictures and as soon as I figure out how to get them up again, I'll post a few.

Thanks! I used that before...I don't remember why I had such trouble, but I think my computer does things I don't tell it to sometimes. Lol. :)

Ok. Did a water change tonight...they both had way too much fun. :)

Water parameters:

Temp: 78F

Ammonia: 0.25ppm

NItrate: 10-15ppm

We added back in salt and Prime. Will start Prazi Round 2 tomorrow with a small water change (we did 90% tonight). Everything is going well. Just thought I'd update parameters.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/528098_3756664708009_599411915_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/576120_3756662827962_481791016_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/179194_3756617986841_744852382_n.jpg

(Hoping the photos work too). :)

Ok...did a 75% water change tonight and added Dose 2 of Prazi, replaced the salt, and added a little Nutrafin cycle again (last dregs of the bottle--getting a new one tomorrow).

Water parameters before change:

Temp: 78.4F

Ammonia: 0.5 ppm

Nitrites: 0 ppm

Nitrates: 15-20ppm

Is it weird that the ammonia is that high so soon after a water change (yesterday)? Starting to wonder if I should retest my tap water. I might tomorrow night anyway just in case.