Resting On Bottom, Tried Everything, Help!

Guest starsmom

Guest starsmom

My newest oranda (still in quarantine) rests on the bottom periodically. She will swim around normally at all levels of the tank, then stop and rest with her chin on the bottom and her tail floating. She is not constipated, and does not have any other symptoms. Fins are all perfect (no tears or shredding) and up straight.

She has been in quarantine for over a month, and was treated for ich, and parasites, which went fine. I feed small meals several times per day, soak everything, and feed peas once per week. The water quality is absolutely perfect. I do a small change every three days. It is a 10 gallon with just the one fish. The fish has been acting this way since I got her.

Oh, I want to mention that she has a very round body, a big wen, and fused tail fins that are horizontal. She seems to have to exert a lot of effort to swim balanced, although she does it. No problems with appetite either. Every once in a while, when she is swimming, current will catch her under her belly and she will do a somersault, if she is already tilted up, but it doesn't happen very often.

What does everyone think? Is this slight swim bladder, some type of disease, maybe egg impaction, or is my fish just plain tired from the effort of keeping herself swimming balanced? Does anyone else have a fish that does this?

I have been holding off putting her in the 55 with the others, in case it is something contagious and I just haven't seen major symptoms.

Just want to know if anyone else has this happen, and if there is anything else I can try.

Thanks!

Laura

If her fins are all erect when she is "resting" and she does the occasional summer sault, I personally think it's just the weight of her wen, and the roundness of her body making it difficult for her to swim properly.

As long as she is eating, pooping and has her fins errect, and is not exhibiting any really bizarre behaviours, I would not worry about it.

My Ryukin or Fantail or whatever she is, is very, very, very fat bodied LOL, and she will turn a summersault or tipover if the current catches her the right way. She also has periodic resting periods throughout the day. I think it's pretty normal for big fat fish, or fish with big wens :D

Good luck

Jessica

Guest starsmom

Jessica:

When she rests, all her fins are erect, and she doesn't breathe fast or anything. If you go up to the tank she will start swimming around, looking for food.

Yup, I am being paranoid, but I figure I better make sure before putting her in the 55. It makes me feel better that you have fish that do that too! :)

Thanks!

Laura

Have you treated for flukes, or is it possible for you to get a scrape/scope to check for them?

Fish can harbor flukes for long periods of time without serious symptoms, so check if you can, and if you can't, treat for them (if you haven't already) as a precaution with prazi.

I have had a rare "sitter" that turned up clean, but usually, it's something, and if you've had her for a month with no other symptoms, the most likely "something" (if it's anything) would be flukes.

Guest starsmom

Happy Goldfish:

I thought maybe flukes too. I treated with jungle labs parasite clear, which has prazi. No change. I may treat again though with straight prazi if I can find it, just to be sure. I am going to ask one of the science teachers at the school I work at if they would check a scrape for me, maybe they can. I believe that there are pictures/descriptions of flukes in the Rick Hess book.

And here is a pic of the fish, when I first got her. She is actually fatter and her wen is even bigger, just to give you an idea of what I am talking about with the shape of her body, and the wen and the tail thing.

*sigh* my boyfriend thinks I'm absolutely nuts about this stuff. He says it just a GOLDFISH...lol But all of us on the board know better... ;)

Laura

post-10-1078715280.jpg

Guest starsmom

Just looking at that pic, I realize that her wen is a LOT bigger than it was a month ago, so maybe that is part of it. Also, her fins look a lot better and she does look altogether more healthy, she was kind of ratty looking when I brought her home.

So anyhow, I must be doing SOMETHING right! :)

Laura

What a cutie. :) I love those compact little fatties. :)

A scrape would be ideal. Remember the sample doesn't last long, so you'll want to either take the fish to the microscope or bring the microscope to the fish. Just look for anything moving, first at 100x, then again at 400x. Flukes are one of the bigger bugs, and are easy to spot.

Guest RedOranda

My fish has the same exact problem. We are in the same boat. Except mine has a really big wen. It seems to change size for some reason too. It will swell so big that the fish will be blind, and can't swim to save his life, then it will shrink down, but he can still barely see (did this when I put him in a different tank). He also keeps getting caught in the filter and his fins get really tore up. Don't know what to do, don't think he will last much longer.

Guest starsmom

Happy Goldfish:

Maybe they will let me take a microscope home for the weekend? I am going to ask. Would hate to cart the fish in to school! I would feel better if I knew either way if it was flukes.

The other thing I am wondering is about egg impaction, could that be at least part of it? Her belly is really big, but I know she is not constipated.

Red Oranda:

I am sorry about your fish. Mine is not that bad, at least not yet. :( She just rests sometimes.

Hopefuly, I can get a scrape and either confirm or eliminate the possibility of flukes...

Thanks for your help!

Laura

She could be full of eggs. If she is, it doesn't necessarily mean the eggs are impacted or any treatment is necessary. More often than not, when the eggs don't come out, they're reabsorbed and don't cause real problems, though the fish will be a little lazy and potentially have some balance trouble in the meantime. It's hard to say whether that's the cause of the problems with your fish since you haven't had her long so you don't know if she's always that fat or always that lazy. :) Do you know for certain the fish is female?

Let us know how the scope session goes!

Whitie has been laying on the bottom for almost 3 days now, she seems more active at night, and still swims around to eat ect. Today I saw Blackie chasing her. I think she may be full of eggs.....I hope.

How exactly do you swab a fish for microscope identification? I can do a urinalysis, and a CBC, so surely I can find flukes, I hope? I am going to try what you are Star's mom, I want to check and be sure as well.

I never knew flukes could make them rest on the bottom.

Jessica

Guest starsmom

Jessica:

There are instructions for doing a gill scrape in the rick hess book. Basically, you hold a gill open with your thumb and lightly scrape the cover slip over the gill tissue. You put a drop of tank water on the slide and then put the cover slip over it. Apparently, flukes are quite easy to see even at low magnification. The Hess book has a picture of them. You can probably find a pic on the internet to help yu id.

I wasn't able to get the microscope this weekend, but the fish seems to be improving some anyhow, not sure exactly why...

I have a male pearl scale in the 55 gallon, so once I rule everything else out, and put this fish in the 55, I will find out for certain whether it is a he or a she... ;) She is most definately much fatter now than she was when I got her, pretty sure she is female, however, the male fish (named Randy, for good reason) will know for sure.

Good luck with Whitie, keep me posted!

Laura

Laura gave you a good description of how to take the sample. I'd do a body scrape first. It can be difficult to get a good sample from the gills until you get used to doing it, especially if your fish is a fighter. If you scrape just behind the gill cover and on the underside between the pec fins, you'll probably find something if your fish has something. It is possible that all the bugs are in the gills, but most of the time, whatever is in the gills will be on the body, too (even gill flukes). So I'd try a body scrape first, then if that turns up nothing, you can go for the gills.

Good luck to both of you. :) It is the time of year for fish to make more fishies, so hopefully it is eggs and nothing more serious.

Guest lilaznbutterfly45

hey..since u wanted to kno..i have a couple of fishies dat does dat..i dunno wats rong with it either..maybe i can learn after i read all da oother posts...dunt worry..its not only ur fish....its mine too..

Guest starsmom

Well, my fish suddenly got much better! I don't know if maybe she had something previously, and I managed to get rid of it, and maybe she just needed some time to recover?

Anyhow, I put her in the 55 gallon with my male pearlscale (Randy) and female redcap (Tuesday), and she was having a great time, eating, swimming around, not "resting" anywhere at all. Unfortunately, during the night, she managed to tear off a good portion of her wen (about a quarter of it). :( The male pearlscale was chasing her, not too bad though, but he must have kept it up even though the lights were off. He was picking at her wen where it was torn when I came downstairs in the morning. Not sure if she got it caught somewhere and then he started picking at it, or what. Anyhow, I put a divider in the tank, and I can't believe how fast the wen is healing. It already looks a lot better. :) She is eating and swimming just fine, and seems to be liking the big tank a lot better.

I am crossing my fingers that she will be OK, and not take a sudden turn for the worse!

Jessica: Is your fish any better?

Glad to hear your fish is doing better, Laura. :) It may have just been eggs. Females full of egges will laze about for awhile, and then they're back to their normal selves.

I've cut/damaged fish's wen (on purpose and once on accident) and it does tend to heal up very quickly. I've never had problems or infection arise from wen cutting/injury.

Guest starsmom

happygoldfish:

The wen seems to be healing VERY quickly, and she is still acting normal. I'm keeping the divider in, but I think she's going to be O.K. :)

However, a couple of people replying to my other post on the torn wen seem to think it's a bacterial infection. :( Since there wasn't any sign of anything wrong with her wen previously, and it's healing so quick on it's own, I don't really want to add a bunch of meds to the mix. But then again, I don't want to lose the fish either!

What do you think?

Laura

Thank you for the description on taking a scraping. I am going to visit my parents on Sunday for a week. I have a microscope there somewhere, I'll bring back with me, if I can find it :unsure:

Whitie got better too. The boys chased her around for a few days. I didn't see any eggs, but the other day I came downstairs to 3 uprooted and floating plants. My fish NEVER uproot the plants totally, so I think they were really attacking them, probably because eggs were stuck to them. :D

I'm still going to do a scrape though.

I need to get the Rick Hess book. I've been meaning to do that, but I waited too long, and now they are impossible to find. I hope the 2nd printing is out soon.

Good luck with your fish's wen Laura. I hope that it continues to heal quickly.

Jessica

Archived